The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where to start. Diagnosed at 29 with type 1 diabetes by my doctor. No support just a dietician apptmnt and eye tests along with a repeat prescription for levemir and novorapid and a bg test meter.
For 1 year or so I was mega sensutive to insulin. 12 units of levemir on a morning and 4 units of novorapid could either drop my bgs by a couple of points or take me down to 4 -6 where I start to get hypo symptoms, cold sweats, shakey dizzy etc.
Went on holiday to thailand for three weeks and after 6 days in I could not keep my bg up above 5 no matter what I ate so I cut down my insulin and managed to stay around 6 with levemir and no novorapid. Came back to the UK and my sugars went crazy high within 12 hours of been back. Back to the normal routine. GP didnt believe me and fobbed me off again. Now after 3 months travelling Europe the bg again will not stay up even only using levemir and a bit of novorapid when needed. Once again back to the uk and it all started off again. This time I cant keep my sugars below 20 without boatloads of levemir and novorapid. Last night I had 8 units of novorapid an hour before bed to match the late supper and highish sugars.
I slept through 5 phonecalls and 3 alarms this morning only waking for an "instapiss" about 5 am in a sweat pool. Sugars this evening yes I slept until 15:30 instead of 8:30 are at around 17.
Quite concerned as it seems my diabetes is kicking into high gear and insulin isn't anywhere near as effective. Whereas my type 1 partner has decreased her dosage and is much more controlled than pre holiday. We eat the same diet and cannot figure out what the hell is going o with me. Doctors seem to be useless and have done sweet fa so far for me so I am turning to the forum to try and help me attack the health service with relevant info and get myself sorted rather than rely on our wonderful NHS to try and fix me. HELP!!!
Thamks for your time Scott and double D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is it possible when you're travelling you're a lot more active and burning up a lot more glucose, then when you get home and rest the glucose goes up?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm not too knowledgeable about Type 1, but I think gphx is onto something here. When you are traveling, you might be walking around more, checking out the sights, and that can have a profound effect on blood sugar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Night Sweats and high blood sugar.

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

BG will be higher if you are stressed, and mine is lower if I am doing happy things.

What bothers me is that sometimes night sweats are a symptom of something else. I was asked if I had night sweats in relationship to my potentially having colon cancer. You sound way too young for that problem.

but, Any history of cancer in your family. Perhaps the fear you might have cancer might cause your doc to be motivated to look for a cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts