The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 5 and she has been having night sweats and changing her pajamas and underwear almost every night for the last month and 1/2. She wakes up crying and wet. She is having nigtmares also and not eating supper good like she used to. She is not feed junk food much either. She came down with a sore throat recently and we mentioned it to the doc. The doc has me checking her temp through out the day and a few times at night. She is not running a fever and her temp in the night is 97.4 or so. When I looked up night sweats and noticed that hypoglycemia could cause the nightmares and sweats I picked up a meter and tested her during the night yesterday when I took her temp. She ate dinner at 6 them had nothing after that till bed. At 9 she when to bed with a temp of 99.1. at 10 her temp was 97.7 and BG 110 at 11 she was at 97.5 with BG 125 The last time I checked her was 12am temp 97.5 BG 138. At 10 she was not very sweaty, but was clammy and almost felt sticky. She definately was sticky and sweaty at 11 though.

I have been reading alot and the dawn phenomenon is supposed to hit around 3am so what is up with the readings earlier in the night. I did not wake up to check her at 3 since I did not find out about this till this morning. I will check at 3am when she gets back from her grandmothers house. She is staying till monday. Unfortunately I did not get to her before she ate breakfast to check her wake up level.

Do you have any ideas as to what a non-diabetics night time levels should be? That is a very difficult thing to find on the net. I do plan on talking to her doctor, but I like to have as much information before hand as possible so I dont feel and look like a paranoid mother when I call. Also right now I do feel kind of paranoid and like an over protective mom right now. I am very "type A" and need to be in control and know as much as I can to make a good decision. Besides I dont want to "poke" my baby if I dont need to. She has an identical twin that is not having the same problems with sweating or nightmares. Any comments or wisdom are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Linda

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Linda: :)

I'm sorry to hear that your Child and you are going through this.

Your Child's night sweats(possibly from the low-grade fevers 99.1) and wetting may be caused by the slow progression of whatever is causing the sore throat. Fevers do raise a Diabetic Child's blood sugar, so possibly it could occur in a non-diabetic Child. I hope that your Dr. did a culture of her throat since it could be Strep Throat for which she would need an antibiotic.

A normal blood sugar differs Person to Person but generally falls between 80-120. Morning blood sugars should be under 100mg/dL.High Glycemic and some high carb foods can keep the sugars up for some time.

How to Avoid Kids' Blood Sugar "Spike and Crash" | Toddlers & Preschoolers | Canadian Parents - Canada's Parenting Community

The Dawn Phenomenon differs in People also. With one minority it does start as early as 3 or 4 in the morning. In another minority of us(me included) do not have the DP until after we awaken.

Your Child may have Reactive Hypoglycemia which is still controversial.

Reactive hypoglycemia: What causes it? - MayoClinic.com

I do hope that you get the answers from your Daughter's Dr. since it could be many different things causing her symptoms or just one.

I'm just adding the same site that I sent to you in your pm. As I mentioned, they know Kid's, Diabetic or not. children with DIABETES Online Community I hope she does Well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm no expert on diabetes but I don't believe it causes nightmares. Has there been a change in your daughter's life that started at the same time as these changes? Frequent nightmares are a sign that something is bothering her significantly

To be on the safe side and to be sure she is not diabetic or hypoglycemic she should have her examined by a doctor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update on Amanda

She has not had the low grade fever till recently, the last two to four days, along with the sore throat. She is not having wetting accidents, it is just the her underwear are damp enough that she has to change them when she changes the rest of her clothes. There have been no changes, other than a relaxed attitude toward starting school in September. She is not stressing about it that I know of. She will ride the bus with her twin and older sister. She know she will be safe and is looking forward to meeting new people and learning new things. They have all been playing school for the last few months.

What is strange is that when she has cereal right before bed as a snack she does not have this problem with the sweating or nightmares. She also does not drink as much of her water bottle that she has next to her bed.

Do you know what type of testing should be done on her? I have seen a couple different tests mentioned on this site.

Also my daughter did fantastic at Grandmas the last two nights. No sweating or nightmares. Grandma feeds them very well, lots of healthy foods, no sweets and they eat regularly. Here at home they graze throughout the day and usually eat lots of veggies and good stuff, but sometimes, more often than I should we go to the market and they get a solid sugar treat. Those are the days her problems are the worst, they just dont show up till much later and the next day she complains of the nightmares and sweating. I really believe this is a sugar problem since diet plays a huge part. I can fix that, but what bothers me is that her identical twin does not have the same problems. If they both had the same problems, I could say "Ill just change their diets and cut out any with with bad sugar in it", but since it is only one of them it leads me to believe that it is more than diet and probably is something to look at further. Maybey it is the beginning of something more important. I would rather find out now than find out when she has something we can not control with diet.

I really liked the article about how to avoid the spike and crash. My neighbor is even going to start doing it with her kids that are definately not having any sugar issues and she is passing the article on to all her friends with kids.

Thank you for all your help and wisdom and good wishes.
Linda

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Linda:

Thank you for clarifying. I'm not a Dr. but I do feel for the Kids. I'd probably be testing Kids for everything just because I needed to know why they were experiencing a symptom. :)

I do remember when I was little, that I had total sweat soaks like your Daughter is having. I also had nightmares sometimes from the bad lows.

True also though, Kids have nightmares just because something is bothering them or because they saw a scary activity, scary movie(it stays in the subconscious and sometimes the conscious mind), etc. What may not seem scary to Adults or Teens certainly can be so for a small Child because their brains are not developed enough or experienced enough to understand many of life's situations or something as ordinary as a shadow or a dark closed closet door or an innocent, to us, t.v. show. But I'm sure that you know all that. I still laugh at some things that scared me so badly when I was young.

You certainly must have interesting days watching identical twins go through different phases in their lives.

There are quite a few sets of twins in our Family. My Brother and Sister were fraternal twins,,,,total opposites. :) One got Type 1 and the other still is Diabetes-free thankfully. Everyone thought that my younger Brother and I were the twins since we looked so much alike and acted similarly.

I have spoken to 2 sets of identical twins on the net. All were teenage Girls. Evidently, they don't all think or act alike. The same goes for getting condtions or at least at the same times.

Both sets had one with Diabetes and one twin without for some time.

With the one set, the first Girl got it then about 15 months later the other twin started getting the symptoms and was then dxd.

With the second set, one Girl had been dxd. but the second Girl had not, the last I had heard. The Girl with Diabetes unfortunely had left the community.

You didn't mention what type of cereal that your twins eat. The less sugar and carbs in them, the better. Both my Kids are sensitive to sugary cereals although they are not diabetic. Their sugar drops like a rock later and they feel weak and tired.

I am certainly not implying that your Child has Diabetes. I don't think your Daughter's Dr. will test her for Diabetes since she doesn't have the common symptoms of being Very thirsty, frequent urination, fruity-smelling breath, lose of weight, irritability and extreme fatique.

As far as the test go for a Child, it would depend on the Dr. It could be a
hbA1c, the FBS(Fasting Blood Sugars). Or both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update

Last night she put a dry blanket under her in the middle of the night with out waking anyone. At 11 I checked on her and her BG was 127 then at 8 am she was at 89. She put the blanket under in after that check. I think that for a non diabetic the 89 would be ok, but why so high in the night 5 hours after eating?

Shouldn't she be closer to 90 or 100 at the most? She did not have the really bad dream last night.

There was a time when we thought she was having night terrors because she would be screaming and crying in her sleep and I would have to hold her till she woke up. Then stay with her for 5 to 10 mins after till she could calm down. She would be slightly sweaty then. I am now wondering if that wasnt the begining of this weird sugar thing. Then again I could be totally wrong and all could be normal. I understand that sugars change during the night, but I dont know if they should be over 120. She has an appointment next week with her doctor. I will talk to her then.

Any more ideas or wisdom would be great. Thanks Linda

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Linda:

No, there may be something else going on with your little Girl to cause the nightmares and/or sweats or this may just be a norm for her. Her numbers are not out of the ordinary. The normal is about 80-120 range but that varies a bit this way or that with each Person. Children's numbers can go higher because of their continual growing bodies. Also keep in mind that the numbers that the meters give you are not exact. They can be 15-20% off.

I'm Glad that she has an appointment next week before school starts. That will give you a Good opportunity to discuss this with her Dr. and ask for the blood tests. That will give you more accurate results than the meter. We'd be interested to know what happens. I hope that all goes Well for your Daughter and that she(and you) have/has a Great school year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I'll repost here after her appointment next week. I am pretty sure I am over reacting, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You're Welcome. :) We look forward to hearing from you. That's right. Better safe than sorry. You can post anytime here if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

Oh, if there is a history of Diabetes in you or your Husband's Family, that would be a reason for your Daughter's Dr. to agree to the tests. Take Care.

·
Registered
35 Posts
also welkom from me.

we have the same problem wth my sun.
not exactly the same but he's almust every night wet.
h? dreams a lot and talk and snore, also avery week must was his pillow because he's also wet.

gr ria hope you feel better to write here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts