The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What time at night do you guys stop eating altogether? Looking back over my journal, I've noticed that anytime I eat a bedtime snack at 10:00 my fasting number goes up by 15-20 points.

·
Registered
298 Posts
bigrosiegreenbaum said:
What time at night do you guys stop eating altogether? Looking back over my journal, I've noticed that anytime I eat a bedtime snack at 10:00 my fasting number goes up by 15-20 points.
Depends on what time I take my last reading... If it's below 110 I usually eat a snack otherwise I have the chance of going hypo the next morning

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I really don't like to eat past 8:30 or 9 pm, otherwise I go up 10-20 points. We tend to eat dinner late so I am not usually hungry. To get my bgs in the 80-100 range in the morning I need to be below 95 at bedtime.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If I eat after 8pm im usually around 110 or so in the morning. not eating after 8 im usually between 80 and 95.
BB, you pop in & outta here so quickly that I never get to stop & tell you thanks for joining us. :) It's good to have you here & while I don't want to be pushy, I hope one of these days you'll let your hair down & tell us more about yourself. ;)

Take care & visit often! :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I eat my last meal/snack no more than 1/2 hour before I go to bed. I've found if I DON'T do this, I will experience a pretty severe rise in my blood glucose upon waking.

Isn't it amazing how DIFFERENT we all are?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i usually have my third meal around 1am. id rather not eat, but i have to remember to eat three times a day

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have my best morning readings when I cut off eating at 6 pm!

Lately I have been having a cup of warm chocolate almond milk with my meds, around 8 om, though. Still not too bad!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You can see how different we are. Some nights I can get away with a snack sometimes I can't. The best snacks for me are Atkins bars or Breyers Carb Smart Bars. But I have to be careful. Lately I have been skipping the snacks and bgs will be in the 80's in the morning.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can see how different we are. Some nights I can get away with a snack sometimes I can't. The best snacks for me are Atkins bars or Breyers Carb Smart Bars. But I have to be careful. Lately I have been skipping the snacks and bgs will be in the 80's in the morning.

I'd love to try the Atkns bars but if I'm not mistaken they have sugar alcohols in them. The Atkins mocha latte shakes are great, though. No aftertaste.

G

·
well I actually eat 6 times per day... not large meals either. Of course I do have my 3 main meals bigger than snacks. I try and eat every 4 hours to keep my BGLs stable. If I leave it longer I either crash or my BGLs start soaring. I always eat a snack before bed... usually half an hour or so before bed. Sometimes though I have to get up during the night and have something else to eat... diabetes isn't always predictable. But I do find if I don't have the snack at all I get major liver dumping... I was always waking up on 7 (126) or higher... now I mostly wake up in the 4's... sometimes higher, but not 7 like I used to. I never used to be a 'supper' person... but my endo suggested that I start doing this when he placed me on insulin. He wants me sitting on 5 in the mornings and not lower or higher. We certainly are all different.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
well I actually eat 6 times per day... not large meals either. Of course I do have my 3 main meals bigger than snacks. I try and eat every 4 hours to keep my BGLs stable. If I leave it longer I either crash or my BGLs start soaring. I always eat a snack before bed... usually half an hour or so before bed. Sometimes though I have to get up during the night and have something else to eat... diabetes isn't always predictable. But I do find if I don't have the snack at all I get major liver dumping... I was always waking up on 7 (126) or higher... now I mostly wake up in the 4's... sometimes higher, but not 7 like I used to. I never used to be a 'supper' person... but my endo suggested that I start doing this when he placed me on insulin. He wants me sitting on 5 in the mornings and not lower or higher. We certainly are all different.
Wow, amazingly this is almost EXACTLY what I do. I also eat 6 meals a day, 3 main meals larger (around 600-750 calories), and 3 smaller meals (around 400-550 calories). (Yes, there are days I eat like 4000 calories...)

... last night I woke up unexpectedly around 2am, and simply felt like I should eat something, so I had one oz. of extra-old cheddar and 2 slices of old fashioned ham. That's a really small 200 calorie snack with 1g Carb, 18g protein and 11g of fat.

I must've needed it because I woke up this a.m. with a healthy 4.7 (85) glucose reading.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, amazingly this is almost EXACTLY what I do. I also eat 6 meals a day, 3 main meals larger (around 600-750 calories), and 3 smaller meals (around 400-550 calories). (Yes, there are days I eat like 4000 calories...)

... last night I woke up unexpectedly around 2am, and simply felt like I should eat something, so I had one oz. of extra-old cheddar and 2 slices of old fashioned ham. That's a really small 200 calorie snack with 1g Carb, 18g protein and 11g of fat.

I must've needed it because I woke up this a.m. with a healthy 4.7 (85) glucose reading.
So, then, protein really does help bring down your morning numbers? I've been avoiding eating after 8 pm because I was thinking the carbs just sit there and is what's causing the spikes. Am I wrong about that?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So, then, protein really does help bring down your morning numbers? I've been avoiding eating after 8 pm because I was thinking the carbs just sit there and is what's causing the spikes. Am I wrong about that?
I've found through trial/error/testing that I have my BEST numbers when I have less and less carbs throughout the day.

I have about 75% of my carbs for the day by 1:30 in the afternoon. I try to eat very little carb in the evening, usually my last two meals of the day will have around 5g in total for BOTH of them.

That's what seems to give me the best morning numbers. If I eat 10g or more in my evening meals/snacks, I'll always be higher for fasting readings.

Thanks to Judy (In France, the very-smart wife of John.In.France) for suggesting that to me. Of course, we're all different and what works for one may NOT work for others.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Unless there's something wrong with your digestion, the food shouldn't just sit there, and if you don't EAT carbs, there won't be anything to spike either.

I think the jury is still out on what to do about dawn phenomenon, but I'm resigned to it, as long as my numbers drop throughout the day. Since I don't eat anything very carby, I have no trouble keeping them dropping. Broccoli & cauliflower is about as carby as I go.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sometimes I spike because I forgot to eat, or because I slept in, so liver dumps happen.

For daily eating, I pretty much follow Beefy's excellent advice.

If my bedtime level's below 85 or so, I grab some cheese or a bit of meat before bed (along with maybe a skosh of red wine).

So far, that's kept my wakeup levels in a near-acceptable range. Mostly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sometimes I spike because I forgot to eat, or because I slept in, so liver dumps happen.

For daily eating, I pretty much follow Beefy's excellent advice.

If my bedtime level's below 85 or so, I grab some cheese or a bit of meat before bed (along with maybe a skosh of red wine).

So far, that's kept my wakeup levels in a near-acceptable range. Mostly.
Shalynne, what do you consider acceptable? I'm generally getting around 120 in the morning. Damn liver! :mad:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Currently, 71 - 110 or so, unless I really mess up -- at which times I usually know why.

But then, I still tend to get daily spikes up to 151 (though the past couple of days have been good). Midday and early evening are not my friends.

G

·

Yes... I'm finding I'm in the 4's a lot lately... even during the day now at times. I can get crazy days though... like yesterday my highest was 12.6 which I think happened as I hadn't eaten when I usually would have... but the rest of the numbers were around 4-6. I do eat carbs of some sort every single time I eat. But that's just me. I find if I don't my BGLs crash (and I feel really sick)... I'm on insulin though. I was actually like this before insulin when I think of it. But now I seem even worse, and feel like I'm having to eat all the time. Last night I had my crackers & cheese as a snack and I always have my probiotic drink (which has sugar unfortunately) before I go to bed... it was suggested to have it at night rather than the morning to allow good bacteria time to settle in and work. Also I do drink a lot of chilled water... I think this could be helping me. I noticed last night that I dropped 3.5mmoL within 45 mins and all I had was chilled water. Although I can drop a lot faster than that sometimes... so I have to be so careful. It perhaps has to do with my stomach condition maybe?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts