The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many of you have times during the night when you have to get up because you are starving. This has happened to me two or three times since I was diagnosed. Last night being the latest time. Three in the morning I woke up feeling nauseated and starving. I ate a pear and tried to go back to bed. It took me about half an hour to stop feeling so sick to my stomach. This morning I don't feel the greatest. I am tired, and just feel out of sorts. What do you all do when you have times like that? Is there a certain reason it happens? We had a nice chicken dinner at 7pm, so I am not sure why I would have been so hungry at 3am. My sugar this morning was 99, so would the problem be that my sugar went too low during the night?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just for fun

Please take this with a gain of salt:

"The lean meat nightmare of a type 2 newbie"

When a type 2 newbie eats too much lean meat at the evening meal an unpleasant thing happens. His body will digest and store the meal but the excess protein will be broken down at a later time. As this protein is converted to glucose the body will release more insulin to stabilize it's blood sugar. This insulin will also remove the fat from the blood and this will make one very hungry. When the fat has been removed from the blood the same amount of insulin will now be about twice as effective at removing any sugar in the blood which may now cause low blood sugar along with low blood fat. This can be very unpleasant in the middle of the night.

The only remedy is to not eat a lot of meat at the evening meal.

Remember to take this with a grain of salt! :p

ColaJim

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh..thank you for the information. That makes sense to me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find if I eat chicken I need to add some fat to the meal or eat a high fat snack before bed like a Carb Smart ice cream bar or peanut butter on celery. The fat will help you stay full. Also when you feel that way do you test your bg? You could be going low or high. Lots of times if I get a liver dump I may feel that way. I think the feeling comes from the hormones , not necessarily from hunger.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks..that's a great idea jwags. I will test myself next time I get like that. I had a total hysterectomy two years ago, so my hormones are not proper in the first place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts