The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a pipe dream, but is there a no-carb ice cream, or home made without an icecream freezer? Maybe in ice cube trays?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Breyer's makes some incredibly delicious ice cream treats under the name CarbSmart. Ice cream, ice cream bars & fudge bars are the ones I've tried and honestly, the only reason I don't buy them anymore is not that they spike me, but that I'll eat the whole box at one sitting. I've found them at Walmart & Kroger . . . I'd be willing to bet other chain stores stock them too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHY IN THE WORLD have ya'll not told us about this before now...

bugg:Dheaded to Walmart
Amen, brother.

Are there any other ready-made carb-free muffins, cupcakes, cakes, cookies, etc. at Walmart that you guys have been keeping secret from the rest of us? :noidea:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker so that I could make ice cream for my wife (type 1) and myself (not diabetic) with stevia. I made ice cream with it for the first time today---peppermint chocolate chip. Using dark chocolate chips, it was 11 g carbs per 1/2 a cup. If I hadn't added the chocolate chips, it would have been about half that. Going carb-free isn't really possible with dairy cream and/or milk, but without sugar, one can make ice cream that is quite low in carbs. The ice cream maker was only about $40 and has great reviews from others that have bought it, so I'd say it's a good investment for anyone wanting to make their own low-carb ice cream.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Peppermint chocolate is a great place to start!

Do you have a carb counter book, McGruff? Dairy cream definitely IS low-carb at only 3g of carb per 8oz cupful, but milk is not since it has lactose & an 8oz cupful of 1% cows milk goes for 13g of carb. You could also reduce carbs more by using sugar-free chocolate chips. Using pure cream & s/f chocolate chips, I bet it would be darn NEAR carb-free.

I don't use milk for anything anymore - I use heavy cream for everything. If I want the consistency of milk, I dilute the cream 1:1 with water.

If Shottlebop happens by here, I think he has a lot of ice cream recipes.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The original post asked about "no carb ice cream". Carb Smart products, made by Breyers, is low carb, but not zero carb. I love the Carb smart ice cream bars that are vanilla covered with chocolate, only 9 carbs. That is the lowest carb ice cream product sold, that I have seen. My store runs out of them very frequently. I have visions of someone filling their buggy and walking away with the whole supply. I wonder if anyone would do that???

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recently bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker so that I could make ice cream for my wife (type 1) and myself (not diabetic) with stevia.
Did you buy the one you just plug in or do you have to add ice and salt? Would like to know how well the no-ice ones work.

Walden Farms strawberry syrup over vanilla ice cream might be good.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
I've used the Cuisinart no-ice/salt maker for years, and have not yet figured out how I'll adapt to low-carb. Traditionally I didn't like the very high fat ice cream and would use more milk than cream. But I think with erythnitol and going high-fat I'll be able to work it out.

When I get home in a couple of months I'll be pulling it out and experimenting. Would love to figure out how to adapt my favorites, and look forward to discovering new treats that never would've occurred to me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ice cream recipes I found online today call for eggs, sugar, salt, whipping cream, half-and-half and vanilla. I would just substitute whipping cream & water for the half-and-half and of course sweetener for the sugar, and I believe that would be carb-free.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've had one that I plug in for some years now and I love it! Where is Shottlebot when we need him?
He better hurry before we call out the militia! heheh! I went digging and found one of the ones he posted in the past on another forum . . . maybe he won't mind if I start the ball rolling . . .

Caramel Ice Cream

Pint of heavy cream
5 eggs, beaten
Sugar free caramel syrup (e.g., DaVinci's, Torani's, Smart & Final store brand)--to taste (I don't measure; maybe a quarter of a cup)
Unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I use Almond Breeze brand, from Trader Joe's)--quantity below.

Pour cream into measuring bowl. Add eggs and sweetener, and stir. Add enough almond milk to make a quart of liquid. Stir. Pour into pre-frozen bowl of ice cream maker, and start. Let run until it's the right consistency.

This will be smooth and creamy when made, but gets hard in the freezer. We spoon what we're not going to eat right away into individual plastic serving bowls with tops (kind of like Tupperware, but not brand-name). I usually remove the top and nuke a bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. I top it with a dusting of premixed pumpkin pie spices.

There are probably ways to make the stuff stay softer in the freezer, but this is easy enough to make that we make it on a regular basis. I don't mind nuking it to eat it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
OM nom nom!

I really want to add nuts to that.

And, I just bought a bottle of English Toffee syrup ... was thinking up ways to use it!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
Oh right - duh - unsweetened almond milk.

Thanks Shanny!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts