The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a diabetic for 63 years and there were so many things in my early years I could not do because I was diabetic. I could not eat anything sweetened with sugar (doctor's orders) and I could not exercise or play hard for long periods of time to help prevent hypos. I could not be too far away from my parents so they could watch over me at all times. When I was married in 1964 things were not much better. I still avoided sugar and still curtailed my activity. I never slept at night without my wife being with me.

Things are much better at the present time. The much better control I now have and my pumping permit me to eat things with sugar, in small amounts. I can exercise as much as I want. I know how to avoid hypos almost all the time and I can lead a more normal life. I do not have hypos while sleeping.

What have YOU wanted to do that your diabetes has somehow prevented/stopped you from doing (past or present)??? "....I can't I'm a diabetic..."

Anybody....?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not a diabetic, but I am doing a research project and I was interested by the fact you said you can exercise as much as you want. Really? I've read articles stating that people still have trouble when they exercise. How are you able to exercise as much as you want? Just interested, thanks!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Sarah. I use an insulin pump and I can set a temporary reduced basal dosage that will keep my BS from dropping. I make sure I have a BS level of 120 or more before starting. I have a set exercise routine, nothing strenuous. I walk for one hour. I am 69 and that is all I can do out of the ordinary daily stirring around. If I go shopping I again set my temporary basal at a reduced amount beforehand. If a Type 1 like me does NOT use a pump then it is more difficult but still possible with trial and error and keeping records. A Type 2 may have the most difficulty, I'm not sure. Are you a Type 2?

You don't have to do all your exercise in one continuous time frame. If I want to walk for an hour I can walk 30 minutes in the AM and another 30 minutes in the PM. That would be less likely to cause hypos. Good luck with your exercising!

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts