The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now maybe I'm being a baby but I don't know how to deal with the stress I feel when my family goes shopping and brings home all kinds of junk food and I have resist to prevent my blood sugars from going crazy. I also have to deal with it at work and for me it is very stressful. I even find myself getting jealous of them being able to eat how they want. I feel so childish

·
Registered
206 Posts
I totally and utterly understand what you mean.

My husband is a carb addict. I tested his BG many times, thinking I'd teach him a lesson but he's never over 6 (108)... and most of the time he hovers between 4.5 and 5.5 (81 and 99)! :eek:

Not that I wish he'd become a diabetic. No! I wish we could eradicate this stupid disease from the planet completely. It would help greatly though if all these high carb foods wouldn't be in the house in the first place... and it would help if he ate what I eat. A meal isn't one if there are no potatoes, no bread, or no rice. And he needs his 'sugar fix' so I still bake. Last week I baked cookies. Mind you, I love baking. I love cooking too.

I fell off the wagon so many times I guess I've spent more time on my Canadian bacon than in the actual wagon...!! :rofl:

I've been in denial most of the time. And I've been in denial about being in denial too! :cool:

I never really took the time to mourn the fact I shall never be able to eat whatever foods I like. This is what I'm working on at the moment. I'm in mourning! :rip:

I'm low carbing at the moment and it's going great. I have great results. The first week I wanted to strangle anything that has a pulse (and especially my husband! :p) but now the dragon mood has gone. I feel great. I found out carbs are extremely addictive. The more you have, the more you want. When low carbing, I don't even need a snack to take me to the next meal.

But what is also addictive is how low carbing makes you feel! :) You don't want to go back to feeling sluggish, feeling tired, being in a bad mood all the time.

Another thing which helped greatly in my falling off the wagon : not testing. It's true what they say : Out of sight, out of mind. If I have the numbers right under my big nose, I tend to be a lot more careful.

Support is also vital. Here you will find all the support you need.

The very best to you!

:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is hard but you have to do it if you want to have a complication free life. I remember at first I was jealous. Now when I see someone eating something I know I can't I just think how healthy I am. I do allow myself to cheat once in awhile and then exercise like heck after . I don't think you can expect everyone else to change eating patterns because you have Diabetes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the world, family and friends can't change for me my issue for most of my life is how can I control my feelings. I don't want to be angry, jealous or in denial cause I'm the one that suffers. What I have thought about a lot recently is the fact that I'm 41 years old had 2 strokes and still able to work. I thank God for that. Y'all have given some great ideas and I thank you for that.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I am very lucky that there is just me and my husband. When I was diagnosed, I said "From now on I am only cooking for myself. If you want some too sure but otherwise you shop and cook for yourself."

It helped me immensely to not have to stroll around the grocery store looking at foods I couldn't eat, having to prepare them and not taste them, etc. I figure that while I don't have a right to change how he eats, he has no right to ask me to be constantly tempted by foods I can't eat.

After a few months of him being on his own cooking wise, he came over to my diet and we now share most of our meals again. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I know the feeling, I have homemade buns raising and the smell is driving my insane and I am currently in the middle of baking a cake for my family. Ugh, at these times I want to run from the wagon as fast as I can! Unfortunately I can't run fast. So I stay on the wagon and dream...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What makes this so much more frustrating is the fact thy my wife's health problems require her to be on a high Carb diet ugh I spend my time fixing my own meals and wishing I could eat what she has. But I'm working on my health and that is what I'm focused on now.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I know the feeling, I have homemade buns raising and the smell is driving my insane and I am currently in the middle of baking a cake for my family. Ugh, at these times I want to run from the wagon as fast as I can! Unfortunately I can't run fast. So I stay on the wagon and dream...
Wow ... you have my deep respect!

I (mostly) deal OK with a house full of baked goodies and candy and sweet soft drinks, as long as there's food for me, too. The workplace donut/cake/whatever table is right next to my desk, and I deal with that, too.

But to actually go and make the stuff ... completely beyond me!

My own worst moment was at a potluck. I quickly counted carbs and retreated to take my bolus. By the time I got back, all that was left was crackers and cheese ... and a table loaded with cakes and pies. And others, mostly elderly, were behind me. I took just enough crackers and cheese to stave off a low -- and felt rude/piggy/despicable for taking that much -- then watched everyone load up on sweets. All of the guilt, none of the goodies. Good times!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow ... you have my deep respect!

I (mostly) deal OK with a house full of baked goodies and candy and sweet soft drinks, as long as there's food for me, too. The workplace donut/cake/whatever table is right next to my desk, and I deal with that, too.

But to actually go and make the stuff ... completely beyond me!

My own worst moment was at a potluck. I quickly counted carbs and retreated to take my bolus. By the time I got back, all that was left was crackers and cheese ... and a table loaded with cakes and pies. And others, mostly elderly, were behind me. I took just enough crackers and cheese to stave off a low -- and felt rude/piggy/despicable for taking that much -- then watched everyone load up on sweets. All of the guilt, none of the goodies. Good times!
Wow, that would really suck! I hope at least the crackers and cheese tasted good!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think theis is where it is very important to learn how to bake low carb. If you have your own low carb stash of candy, muffins, cookies, you will have something to turn to. I even bring a baggie of my own crackers with me to restaurants. I know some people who bring their own low carb bread or tortillas with them. The other thing is it is ok to cheat once in awhile. Tonight we are having a BBQ with friends and most of the meal is carb friendly. But I bought a dessert for my guests and yes I will have a small slice. But I took a 4 mile walk late this morning and worked in the yard for 2 hours. So I think I deserve it.

Reactions: jojeti

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I think theis is where it is very important to learn how to bake low carb. If you have your own low carb stash of candy, muffins, cookies, you will have something to turn to. I even bring a baggie of my own crackers with me to restaurants. I know some people who bring their own low carb bread or tortillas with them. The other thing is it is ok to cheat once in awhile. Tonight we are having a BBQ with friends and most of the meal is carb friendly. But I bought a dessert for my guests and yes I will have a small slice. But I took a 4 mile walk late this morning and worked in the yard for 2 hours. So I think I deserve it.
Yup. Enjoy that just dessert!

There is a school of thought that declares we shouldn't even try to approximate foods from the "bad old days." I actually tried that on for size, but couldn't get it to fit. (Metaphor Manglers R Us.)

I've never been much of a baker, and our kitchen's woefully inadequate. Some progress has been made on the equipment front; now I've got to work on the me front.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
In the oven right now is my very first ever low-carb baking attempt... Orange and Almond cake. I am waiting very impatiently to see how it turns out....

·
Registered
554 Posts
In the oven right now is my very first ever low-carb baking attempt... Orange and Almond cake. I am waiting very impatiently to see how it turns out....
Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I, like many, am the only one in my house that has been diagnosed.. Baking is a stress reliever for me, so I didn't want to give that up.. And while I know I can't have alot of what I bake, I can have it in moederation.. take brownie bites for instance.. I cant have one maybe 2.. definite no more than that.. I found a really awesome recipe for a peach cobbler like dessert that didn't affect my bs at all.. (I was sooo mad when I came home from work to find that my kids had finished it off for breakfast)..

I too cheat a little once in a while.. I think you almost have to in a way.. otherwise.. I know at least for me if I was to fall off the wagon, it would be a crash and burn event for sure...

·
Registered
633 Posts
What makes this so much more frustrating is the fact thy my wife's health problems require her to be on a high Carb diet ugh I spend my time fixing my own meals and wishing I could eat what she has. But I'm working on my health and that is what I'm focused on now.
I don't understand this at all. I have never not eaten what the rest of my family has eaten. I never wanted to make my disease anyone elses problem. You could eat what ever you want as long as you learn to dose your insulin properly. Just saying it can be done and is done on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
1970clea said:
Hey, I want to know how this turned out. Hopefully, it was as good as it sounded. I sense a recipe demand soon :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts