The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This appears to be still in the early development phase, but it sounds promising

Sweet Beams: Lasers To Measure Blood Sugar - Science News

A new, gentler technique for measuring blood sugar uses a pair of laser beams instead of a needle. The device could provide a way for diabetics to monitor their glucose levels without the pain of pricked fingers.

The physicists who created the device hope it will one day be used in hospitals to monitor patients continually, or miniaturized for the home. But first, the researchers will have to prove that their approach works not just for sugar water but in actual humans, a hurdle that has tripped up many previous efforts.

“Having a noninvasive way to measure glucose has long been a holy grail for our community,” says Andreas Mandelis, an applied physicist at the University of Toronto, who with a colleague describes the technique in an upcoming issue of Physical Review E.
For a more specific signature, some researchers have turned to slightly longer wavelengths. Mid-infrared light is absorbed by glucose, but not by other molecules in the blood — with one huge exception. Water, which makes up most of blood’s volume, overwhelmingly soaks up this kind of light.

To erase this background noise, Mandelis’ team used two beams of mid-infrared light tuned to slightly different wavelengths. One is absorbed by both water and glucose, the other by only water. When both beams strike dissolved glucose in concert, the water absorptions cancel each other out, giving off measurable heat that spotlights just the sugar.

Tested on sugar dissolved in water and on human blood serum, the technique has proved to be sensitive even to small quantities of glucose. But other researchers, along with Mandelis himself, recognize that there’s a long road to travel before the technology can be commercialized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This appears to be still in the early development phase, but it sounds promising

I'm actually a student working on a team at a university in NJ on developing just this and we have plans to commercialize it soon. Clearly this topic has been around for years but the problem is that university researchers aren't interested in anything outside of science. As students, we are interested in following through with the business side and I'm curious how big of a demand there really is for non-invasive CGMs. Feel free to reply back and let me know.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Fingersticks just don't seem that problematic to me. I don't find them painful, even with the most ancient lancet known to man - I rarely change it. How timely is the information gleaned from the test in question? Does it lag fingertip blood glucose as does other alternate site testing? If that's the case, it's of no use to me as an insulin user.

Jen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fingersticks just don't seem that problematic to me. I don't find them painful, even with the most ancient lancet known to man - I rarely change it. How timely is the information gleaned from the test in question? Does it lag fingertip blood glucose as does other alternate site testing? If that's the case, it's of no use to me as an insulin user.

Jen
how often do you prick?

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'm actually a student working on a team at a university in NJ on developing just this and we have plans to commercialize it soon. Clearly this topic has been around for years but the problem is that university researchers aren't interested in anything outside of science. As students, we are interested in following through with the business side and I'm curious how big of a demand there really is for non-invasive CGMs. Feel free to reply back and let me know.
As allways everything is about the money...If you succeed to make it affordable then you've hit the jackpot! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.