The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every few years you see a few news tidbits about researchers who have found a non-invasive technique for measuring blood glucose. After a brief moment in the limelight they all seem to fizzle and we go back to pricking our fingers.

I've taken some time to contact a few researchers and will see what sort of response I get inquiring about the status of their research.

To me, it seems that it is in the best interest of the drug companies if a non-invasive system were never approved. Imagine the billions every year they make selling us the disposable test probes.

Does anyone know of a product that's on the market or really in clinical testing that does not involve blood or some sort of probe that samples blood or other liquids from the skin?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good link. It does further illustrate what I've found so far. There are a pile of companies with "promising" solutions which for the most part are under anywhere from 5 to 25 years of dust. I'm not huge on conspiracy theories but why are all these projects shelved shortly after the first announcement? Is it too difficult to get approval? Too difficult to make a business case? Or does the stuff simply not work?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good questions, let me know if you find any answers :) Perhaps they're not as reliable as the ones using blood or could they be too expensive to be a reasonable alternative?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Every few years you see a few news tidbits about researchers who have found a non-invasive technique for measuring blood glucose. After a brief moment in the limelight they all seem to fizzle and we go back to pricking our fingers.

I've taken some time to contact a few researchers and will see what sort of response I get inquiring about the status of their research.

To me, it seems that it is in the best interest of the drug companies if a non-invasive system were never approved. Imagine the billions every year they make selling us the disposable test probes.

Does anyone know of a product that's on the market or really in clinical testing that does not involve blood or some sort of probe that samples blood or other liquids from the skin?
I'm actually a student working on a team at a university in NJ on developing just this and we have plans to commercialize it. Clearly this topic has been around for years but the problem is that university researchers aren't interested in anything outside of science. As students, we are interested in following through with the business side and I'm curious how big of a demand there really is for non-invasive CGMs. Feel free to reply back and let me know.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Personally I don't see the point - pricking your finger isn't a big deal compared to injecting your stomach. Type 2s on oral drugs only might feel different about it though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Any puncture of the sakin is a risk for infection. So everyone of us doing the insulin at least, are doing 4-8 skin breaks per day. To reduce the risk of infection by 50%?! I'll take that. Oh and yeah, I wild prefer not to stick my finger.

Sure, 30 percent of taxes is ok, but would 15% be better? Hell yes!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts