The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a campaign to lose 110 lbs, and have been exercising every day, either walking or riding my bicycle. I'm 61, 284lbs, 5'10" and a type 2 diabetic. Twice now while riding the bicycle I have felt the symptoms of hypoglycemia (shaky, confused, clammy sweat, anxiety, hunger).

I've stopped and taken a BG reading and it will be in the 80-90 range, which is supposed to be "normal", but it feels really crappy to me. One time I had to walk my bike the last two blocks to home because I was too shaky to ride it and didn't have any sugary thing to raise my BG. The second time (today), it was 90 and I ate an energy bar, which got me feeling well enough to ride home.

What's up with "normal" BG feeling so bad?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's probably your body not used to have lower sugar intake. It should pass as you progress

Keep it up and welcome

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What's up with "normal" BG feeling so bad?
That's EXACTLY what happened to me. Don't let it worry you too much, it WILL get better, so keep going!

When I first started exercising I'd experience hypo-like symptoms in the "normal" BG ranges too, and I think it was just because my body was used to being high all the time. At diagnosis my fasting BG was 14.8 (267) and my A1c was 12.1%, so I must have been "used" to being high.

It took about 3 weeks to get more accustomed to the lower BG's from exercising. Now I don't feel 'hypo-like' symptoms until I'm under 4.5 (81).

Keep at it, and your body will not only get used to it, but the improved BG's from regular exercise is a GREAT thing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We call those "false lows". It is probably that your body is not used to normal bgs or it could be that you might have spiked higher and crashed quickly giving you that shakey feeling. We have all had them. I usually carry some nuts or something to eat with me when I exercise. Sometimes all I need is a bite or two . Since it is not a real low you shouldn't treat it with a lot of glucose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts