The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Pre diabetes
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just trying to figure out if there is a reason why My HB A1 C is 5.4 but my blood sugar readings can go all the way up to 189? 189 is where I top off at all the time so my doctor says I am pre-diabetes because of that but my A-1 C says I am normal. My morning fasting seem to depend on what I eat that night before I go to bed because sometimes I don’t eat after six or 7 PM and it will be between 101 and 109 and I think 115 is the highest it has ever ever been so I don’t know what to think of all this any thoughts please?

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Well, A1c is a different measurement than an instantaneous blood glucose reading. A1c measures levels of glucose in the body over time and indicates how well your body is managing glucose and insulin overall. If your body generally is doing okay with insulin and your morning fasting readings are lower than 115, then an occasional 189 or so isn't going to have a huge effect on a long-term average of blood glucose readings.

Now, home glucose testing can be off by 15% in either direction and still considered accurate, so your 101 could be as low as 85 and your 189 really could be anywhere between 160 and 217. The fact that your A1c seems to have stayed at prediabetic levels for years indicates that your body sometimes has trouble managing insulin and blood glucose from what you eat, but most of the time it seems to do okay. I certainly would keep an eye on those highs because they're not good for you, either, but your body does not seem to be showing big signs of poorly managing glucose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ohhhh my gosh thank you so much for explaining this. I will do better in keeping them highs in check. I just got back all my lipid tests and all my numbers are off the chart except my a1c. My cholesterol and triglyceride are way up and other things are way low so I’ve got my work cut out for me. I had a stroke/TIA two years ago and was taking atorvastatin and I just got tired of taking pills so I stopped and stopped taking krill oil and my vitamin D is 24 and now I’m paying the price for it all. Last night I started back on statin and today I start back on vitamin D and krill and will try low carb as well. My poor body what I’ve done to it 😔

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
My cholesterol and triglyceride are way up and other things are way low so I’ve got my work cut out for me.
[snip]
Last night I started back on statin and today I start back on vitamin D and krill and will try low carb as well. My poor body what I’ve done to it 😔
alfmaxmollyjack, I think all of us, at one time or another (sometimes several times) have wondered what we've done to poor bodies!

One suggestion about going low carb -- the calories you normally would eat in carbs are made up for by eating fat. This can have the effect of raising LDL test results to levels doctors are not comfortable with. However, it also can move HDL and triglycerides results into normal ranges. Studies about this: Blood Lipid Changes With A Well-Formulated Ketogenic Diet In Context, LDL-Cholesterol May Be Overestimated on a Low-Carb, High-Fat (LCHF) Diet An increasing number of studies shows that LDL measurements alone are poor indicators of heart disease. One ratio that seems to have better predictive powers is the ratio of HDL to triglycerides.

I would suggest going low-carb or keto and then after some months have passed and your body is in ketosis, check your lipids again and see where they are. You may be pleasantly surprised (and maybe could get rid of the statin if you want to and your doctor agrees).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts