The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first real post. I was diagnosed T1 this past November. I hope this question has not been answered before, but does anyone know the after meal blood sugar of a normal person? I know Humalog takes a while to kick in, but does a normal person ever go above 120? Or does it stay in normal range all the time, and temporary rises are specific to diabetics?

THANKS! AZ

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think it always stays below 120. the real test is the A1c to see if their A1c is above 6.0 or is it 6.5?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You!

Shanny,

I just wanted to say thank you for your help. I saw your reply to my introduction post and also your many many replies to everyone else. I really think we are lucky to have you...

Thanks

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In a normal person there pancreas is healthy so they have a good Phase 1 insulin response which kicks in almost immediately to move glucose into cells. Anything that is not taken care of by the First Phase the Second Phase or newly created insulin will take care of it. So even after a pretty carby meal these people stay in that 100-120 range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting.

I was travelling with a colleague last week and we had pasta for lunch. When I measured my BG, she asked me to test her just for curiousity. She ate a lot of lasagna and after 1 hour she had 148, but after 2 hours she had 95. I thought it was normal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Interesting.

I was travelling with a colleague last week and we had pasta for lunch. When I measured my BG, she asked me to test her just for curiousity. She ate a lot of lasagna and after 1 hour she had 148, but after 2 hours she had 95. I thought it was normal.
I'd say her levels are running a little high . . . she might want to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Interesting.

148 is actually a fairly high spike for a non-diabetic, as Shanny mentioned...

I watched my 20-year old son eat a bag of candy the other day ... (and I mean a BAG... It must've been a freaking 1/2 pound of candy...) and I convinced him to test 1 hour later. He was a whopping 6.2 (111)...

I hate that he responds so well. I'd post a 9.5 just from smelling it, I'm sure... Oh, his 2-hr post was like 4.8 or something for those wondering. He didn't even crash. Aah, to be young again...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tested a friend of mine last week after a steak dinner. He had steak and ribs smothered in BBQ sauce in addition to bread dipped in BBQ sauce, and french fries dipped in ketchup, fried onions, and sweet potatio mash. I checked his BS right after the meal and it was 183! So we freaked out...drove to 4 pharmacies till we found a Bayer A1C test and he was 4.9!!! I checked his BS again 1.5 hours after meal it was 93.

he said he only usually eats one meal a day. I said its probably takng a toll on his pancreas and he needs to spread his meals apart

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
148 is actually a fairly high spike for a non-diabetic, as Shanny mentioned...

I watched my 20-year old son eat a bag of candy the other day ... (and I mean a BAG... It must've been a freaking 1/2 pound of candy...) and I convinced him to test 1 hour later. He was a whopping 6.2 (111)...

I hate that he responds so well. I'd post a 9.5 just from smelling it, I'm sure... Oh, his 2-hr post was like 4.8 or something for those wondering. He didn't even crash. Aah, to be young again...
Oh yes...I know the feeling. I watched my hubby eat a large order of Chicken McNuggets, large fries AND a large chocolate milk shake...his blood sugar one hour later was 88. I may have to smack him upside the head out of my own frustration :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
@glomaster - were his hands clean after eating ribs covered w/ sauce?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had him wash his hands and I used an alcohol swab, but you know I don't really know how well he washed his hands. I know that it can make a big difference. My bad for not retesting but I gotta be honest, when you have experienced buying strips cash (I used to do this last year before insurance reform) you realize how valuble they are and you sometimes don't want to retest. But I think the A1C and some candid advice could not have hurt him

·
Registered
50 Posts
OOOHHH what it would be like to enjoy a chocolate shake agian! I think if I held the cup I would go to 160

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
My bg is always around 114 up to 159.When I fast it is around 114-121.Is that normal?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal.' If you're asking if they are non-diabetic numbers, no. Are they numbers a diabetic who wants to have excellent control would consider normal? No. Are they numbers uncontrolled diabetics would lust after? Yes.

It would be good to get your fasting <100, and not go over 140 an hour after a meal, not over 120 2 hours afterwards. Once there, you may decide you'd be happier with even lower numbers.

A great resource for understanding desirable (and normal) ranges is Blood Sugar 101 . Click on 'Healthy Blood Sugar Targets.'

Reactions: Patdart
1 - 16 of 16 Posts