The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I'm 72 and a retired naval communications officer. In 2005, my doctor told me after a routine check that I had diabetes 2. Blood sugar between 14 and 17 mmol/l (between 252 and 306 mg/dl) The doctor handed me a glucose meter and tried to instruct me how to use it. As a computer entusiast, I noticed a port for connecting the meter to outside devices. Instead of asking questions about how to measure my blood sugar, I started to ask technical questions about how to connect the meter to a computer in order that the computer could handle my blood sugar data in a more efficient way. As the doctor was not able to answer my questions, he gave up.

I may have had diabetes before it was detected, but I did not feel anything wrong. The doctor asked if I used to be thirsty, but as I normally drank plenty of water, I may have cheated myself as I didn't feel any thirst at all.

The first years I ate Glucophage 20 milligrams once a day, but at present I take Amaryl 2 milligrams when eating my breakfast. I have quit boiled potatoes. Instead I boil cauliflower and broccoli. I have quit wheat bread, but eat dark rye bread instead, not much however. My standard breakfast is 2 scrambeled eggs or omelet with ham or bacon.

Now, my blood sugar is between 6 and 7 mmol/l (108 and 126) before breakfast and around 8 mmol/l (144) two hours after dinner. Trying to exercise every day. Otherways, my health is amazingly well. However, I feel it mandatory to mention that my mother was 95 a month ago, and she lives all by herself. I may have inherited some of her genes :D.

Interesting to read the posts in this forum.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Nincompoop :) glad to hear you have good control of your BGLs. I'm type 2 also, although I'm now on insulin full time due to beta cell damage. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Nin . . . thank you for joining us! It's always good to hear when our new friends have figured it out so well, as you obviously have.

I have to laugh at you & your doc & the meter . . . reminds me of the first PDA our own doctor got years ago, and he was so excited to show us all the tricks it could do, from looking up drugs to making the comparisons for any contraindications. He got way off the subject of what we were there for! (and it wasn't even a blackberry - way before blackberries came along!).

I hope you'll be able to visit often, and we can all get better acquainted.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome! My husband was in Norway this time last year for an exercise with the US Navy.

Hope you will visit often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for warm welcoming words

Thanks for nice words from each of you. I am now looking forward to seeing my doctor on Friday for the annual examination. On Thursday a new eye control. Last time my eyes were examined was two years ago. The examiner didn't find any bad signs that could refer to the diabetes, so he decided that examination every second year would be sufficient.

And Chesney: I'm sure your husband harvested memorable experiences during his exercise in Norwegian waters :)

I've visited the USA two times, in 1974 and 1993. We have relatives in your country, and four grandchildren living on the West Coast.

Will inform you about the results of the upcoming examinations.

·
Registered
298 Posts
He loved it. He was in Andoya. It was only supposed to be for a week but ended up being almost a month long trip. He got to go deep sea fishing too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts