The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He did not change my BG medication but added a medicine for BP. He said he was doing so because despite weight loss my BP wss not lower.

I've heard disasterous side effects of both BP as well as BP medication. Is that true ?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am on ramipril, 5 mg per day, and have been since about 5 mos post-diagnosis. I have only white coat HTN, as far as I know, but it protects the kidneys and I have not had a postural hypotension episode since the first month (you just need to be cautious standing up for a while) -- so, I am all for it!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is the LCHF diet mofified for hypertension ?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I never heard it WAS.

Supposed to be low sodium, per "conventional wisdom," but even that seems to be changing.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Tony, salt has a great deal to do with hypertension, so perhaps watch your salt intake. Keep in mind that ALL foods have salt, so if you are salting at the table, stop. Also stress will add to hypertension. How much BP med did the doc put you on, and which one? If a small dose, it does help to protect a diabetics kidney's so it might not be that bad. I was on a 2.5 mg Lisinopril, but I was having pain in my renal area in my back and the doc took me off. I do not have hypertension (my BP actually runs lower to normal like 110/60-70), so I don't need for that, but I think many doc's are putting their diabetic patients on a very low dose of med for BP because they have found it protects their kidney's from damage. Just a thought.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Tony,

The doc put me on 1.25 ramapril but said it was.to protect the kidneys. It does blood pressure but that is not the reasone why she put me on it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't have side effects from BP or the BP meds either one - I take atenolol for mine & do well. Atenolol lowers my heart rate too; don't know if other BP meds do or not.

Have never heard of LCHF being tweaked for hypertension. I use salt in everything - just a wee pinch to pop up the flavors - not a heavy user, but I don't restrict it.

I think protecting our kidneys is of the essence - I wouldn't worry about this if I were you. It's exasperating, but this time I think it's not a bad thing to add another pill. ;) But I'll give you the same advice my doc gave me when he first started me on lisinopril - if you develop a cough, let him know. There are other BP meds which don't cause a dry hacking cough. You don't have to live with "the cough". So I was switched when I started coughing.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I been told to monitor for a month and start using Telmasartan 80 mg if my BP does not remain at normal levels.

I've been asked to cut salt. Doctor was saying that it's suprising that despite significant weight loss my BP has not dropped

Tony

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've also ordered my BP machine from ebay... thank god the BP machine does not work on strips :D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've realised that this is the maximum dose of the medicine ? Did my BP deserve such a high dose :(:(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Different BP drugs may have different side effects. I do know some may cause a cough. The thing to watch for is to make sure BP doesn't go too low. Sometimes if you are on a LC diet, lose weight and you're on a BP med you could go too low, so just use your monitor. I found the best way to lower BP is to do deep breathing exercises and yoga meditation. When I do my daily walking I practice the deep breathing as I walk. As you inhale you should fill your entire lungs and belly with air and hold it for as long as you can, prefereably 5-10 seconds. As you exhale do it slowly and suck gut into your back squeezing out all the air. This is an exercise you can do anywhere. If you think of a fireplace bellow it is kind of like that. Any type of yoga practice should also lower BP. There are lots of yoga DVD's and Mediation practice you can buy or get at your Library.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am no expert...but a few years ago I had a situational need for BP medication...my house was robbed 5 times in a short period of time...I moved house and the problem disappeared and BP numbers reflected that...I had to fight to get off the medication...my doctor's reasoning was

they prefer diabetics to have lower BP...

So I decided to ditch the BP pills and did as jwags suggested...meditate...learn to breath "qi gung' or some ppl say "chi kong"...my BP is now perfect...after it was I told the doctor I hadn't taken the medication in 6 months lol

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Another way to watch the sodium in food is to give up processed food. Since I make virtually everything from scratch, now, I get very little sodium in my diet. In fact I have had to start adding salt to my food to insure I get enough. Also by increasing your potassium by eating green veggies like spinach, broccoli, avacado, tomatoes and celery it will help you lower BP

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I've been on 5mg of Ramipril since my Dx last March even though my BP has been fine. As others had stated, I think my doc does it prurely for the protection it gives the kidneys. Ramipril is the least (besides Trombyl aka freakin' Aspirin!) of my medicine concerns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am taking the following blood pressure meds.

Lisinopril 20mg
Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg
Terazosin 1mg

While my BP is coming down, it is a very slow process, and getting a little tiresome. I think one of the problems is that as soon as I walk into the Dr.'s office I get tense, and guess what:D.

While the Terazosin will help with BP, its primary function relates the kidneys. Seems to be working well, as trips to the bathroom during the night are much fewer then before.

I will be a very happy camper when I can ditch two out of the three, or maybe all three.:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I been told to monitor for a month and start using Telmasartan 80 mg if my BP does not remain at normal levels.

I've been asked to cut salt. Doctor was saying that it's suprising that despite significant weight loss my BP has not dropped

Tony
WOW!!! ISNT 80 mg VERY HIGH FOR hypertension ???? What was your BP when you were at the Doctor??

I was 140/93 and my dr gave me 4mg Atacand..

My GF has WPW - Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome . A very rare heart problem and she is on OLMETEC 40mg.. When she was not on meds, her BP around 193 / 126 MAX when she is sleeping over 8 hours!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've also ordered my BP machine from ebay... thank god the BP machine does not work on strips :D

Time to get more Rechargeable batteries!! ;) That was what I did.. get a GOOD BP machine like Omron BP785 10 Series Blood Pressure Monitor or other Omron.. They are widely used in hospitals...

Something good and cheap on ebay for its functions.. And you can upload your data to the web :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Tony, I would be cautious about the amount of medication that the doctor told you to take. How high was your blood pressure? Have you had a history of high blood pressure? Did the doctor retake your blood pressure in the office?

Meditation is an excellent way to help control or bring down blood pressure. When I headed into my 40's, I started having panic and anxiety attacks so bad that I was non-functional. I was given some self-help books by my sister and learned how to meditate to calm my tension, stress, and anxieties. My form of meditation involves anything that I find calming; whether it be soft jazz music, classical music, soothing spa sounds, whatever. I also find a low lit room calming, or perhaps some candle light. I then sit in a comfortable place and I begin deep breathing; in through the nose, hold for a few seconds, then exhale through the mouth. These should be deep cleansing breaths. In your minds eye, picture a word or something that calms you. My way was with words. I would picture the word Joy as I inhaled, and the word Peace as I exhaled. So I would repeat in my mind "breath Joy in, breath out Peace." I would do this for a good 15-20 minutes. It would certainly calm me down like right now. Again, you use whatever works for you.
I hope you are able to control the blood pressure without the use of high dosages of drugs. I would also question that dosage. Don't be afraid to second guess your doctor. Keep in mind; Doctors PRACTICE medicine. If something doesn't seem right to you, question it!

G

·
I think one of the problems is that as soon as I walk into the Dr.'s office I get tense, and guess what:D.
Yeah, that 'white coat' BP rise is a problem, isn't it? :eek:hwell:

One solution is to get yourself a good BP monitor and take your latest readings to the doctor when you visit. Because not only will the readings not show the expected stress rise, but unless your doctor is in the minority, the method used is probably contributing to the high reading, as I have recently discovered.

When I decided to try the high fat low carb diet, I bought myself one of the current electronic monitors, similar to the one the doctor uses. My first readings were all over the place, so I finally read the instructions and also searched the web for help to get my technique right. Among lots of references, I found this page, and using the combined techniques, I am getting consistent readings that are around 124/69 (my diastolic has always been OK).

Basically, my technique is to position the cuff 2cm above the elbow (left arm) with the air tube centred on the elbow joint. I then hold my upper arm vertical with the elbow bent at right angles and with the elbow supported to avoid movement during the measurement process. I take several deep, slow breaths beforehand (my addition to the process :)) and make sure my body is upright.

If your doctor is positioning you so as to use this method, then you probably do have a BP problem :(. But my doctor, and her partner, always put the cuff on the right arm, with the position of the monitor and my chair forcing me to lean forward slightly and extend the arm towards the monitor to get some support for the lower arm. This position is convenient for them, but it means that the monitor site and the heart are not level, and my monitor, plus the instructions on the cuff, stress that it is important to have the two level.

This certainly works for me, but YMMV.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts