The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys this is ujjwal. I have been recently diagnosed with diabetes.my age 22.still doctors have not decided my diabetes .in jan 27 2012 have identified weight reduction of 10 kgs .when i first met my fasting sugar level was 283 mg/dl .They have done GAD antibodies test it got +ve doctors told to come after 1 month to perform C-peptide test.presently i am taking insulin shots 3 times my dosage was 12(Morning) 12(before lunch) 14(before dinner).is there any chance of me getting into type2 diabetes.please, provide with your comments.Thank you.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Sorry I can't help with this, but I can advise that a low carb diet will help with either form. Sounds like you have a good doctor who knows the correct tests and you'll survive either way it goes.

Good luck, and stay in touch with us...we care,

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Say again, ujjwal, why is it they can't tell your type when they've already tested for GAD antibodies? I would think you either have them or you don't. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi shanny ,

they will get to know whether my pancreas is producing insulin only after C-peptide test.So at present with this high BG levels definitly i will get negative result.so,they are treating me with insulin to lower my sugar levels and then perform the test on 25th of this month.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Ujjwal!

I'm sorry to disappoint, but if it turns out you are a Type 1, it will not change to Type 2.

If you are a Type 2, well, some of us (like me) do use insulin. Often, because our bodies are resistant to insulin, we take larger doses than many Type 1s.

The important thing is, how well are your glucose levels being controlled? If you're just getting started, it will probably take some time -- a few weeks -- for your levels to come down.

Diet is just as important as insulin, and exercise plays a big role, too.

Please make yourself comfortable, look around, and visit often. And please keep us posted!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Ujjwal,
Welcome to the Forum.

I would recommend that you analyse what the GAD results tell you. If you have antibodies you have type 1 otherwise you have type 2

All Type 1s need insulin and some Type 2s also need insulin. Taking insulin does not mean that you have type 1.

Type 1 does not turn into type 2 and neither does a type 2 ever turn into Type 1. Yes it is true that a Type 2 may become "insulin dependent" at some stage but always remain Type 2

A c peptide test will only test how much insulin you body is producing at the moment. It will tell you nothing about your type. Whether your pancreas are producing insulin or not does not effect your type.

My mother who is a type 2 for 25 years will probably have 0 insulin from her own pancreas. But she is still Type 2.

Type 1 is a condition when your own body decides to raise an attack on you pancreas and destroys them. (Thats why they check for antibodies)

Anyways keep coming here and tell us more about how you are doing. Whats your diet these days ? And how are your sugar levels now ?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi tony

Presently my fasting levels were below 120 and after breakfast and before dinner were below 160
my dosage was morning before breakfast 8 units after that i go to office i used to get lot of swetting after 1- 1.30 hour i will eat some thing like maggi.at 12.30 i will have 12 units and eat at 1.But some body said that there is a chance of activating beta cells that they can respond for the insulin which i am taking now and they can re-generate the insulin.kindly,provide with your coments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi tony

Presently my fasting levels were below 120 and after breakfast and before dinner were below 160
my dosage was morning before breakfast 8 units after that i go to office i used to get lot of swetting after 1- 1.30 hour i will eat some thing like maggi.at 12.30 i will have 12 units and eat at 1.But some body said that there is a chance of activating beta cells that they can respond for the insulin which i am taking now and they can re-generate the insulin.kindly,provide with your coments
Ujjwal .... Maggi ??? seriously quit the maggi.

Here's a crash course in diet

Research indicates that all foods have three major macronutrients:- Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fat.

1. All Carbohydrates increase blood sugar. (does not matter if you are having brown bread or white). The spike will be slow but it will be there. For a quick reference anything made out of grains - Wheat, rice, ragi, oats etc are high in carbohydrates. So breads, rotis, pastas, rice, noodles are all very very high in carbs. As a diabetic I would recommend that for learning you should test all the foods you are eating and one by one eliminate foods that take your sugar over 140 (2 hours after your meal). All products that are sold as "Diabetic friendly" should be tested by you. Each person responds differently to different levels of carbohydrates.

2. FATs do not increase blood sugar. It has also indicated in research that a high fat diet in the absence (drastically reduced) of carbs does not increase your cholesterol. Just for the purpose of testing have some cheese and test your blood sugar 2 hours later. Just test this once (one time wont harm you).

3. Proteins :- Proteins are mostly safe but some percentage of proteins get converted to glucose and can cause some spike in blood sugars, but the spike should be slow and most cases not very harmful. Safe level of proteins is about 1-1.5 gm per kg of body weight

There are essential fats, essential proteins but there are NO essential carbohydrates

Try to make your diet around protein and good fats and reduce the carbs...

About your insulin issue

Yes it is true, that starting insulin therapy early gives pancreas a rest and reduce their stress. By taking insulin people get get things in control and reduce weight, if there are weight issues. There are many people here who started of with insulin at diagnosis, got things in control with diet and exercise and then slowly removed the insulin injections.

Usually when you reduce you carbohydrates and reduce weight your body's limited amount of insulin can sometimes be enough to control blood sugars. Thats when injections may be reduced or removed

But I have not seen any research that beta cells will be "reactivated".

I would suggest you go to Blood Sugar 101 and read a bit about diet, exercise, how the body blood sugar mechanism works, and about safe blood sugar levels

In any case your targets must be less than 100 before meals and less than 140 after meals

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I was just telling a young FB friend in India to QUIT THE MAGGI! He is a young MD and lives in a hostel.

I am glad to see you even GOT GAD antibodies tested. Most of the time here they neglect to consider them.

But it is true, once you have GAD antibodies, you are considered Type 1.

I use both metformin AND insulin for mine, I have a distinct component of insulin resistance and they both are helpful. If you are young and slender you might want to forgo the metformin.

LOW DOSES of insulin are an easy way to start the therapy -- you are less apt to hypo if you start when you still have some beta cell function!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks tony,
for a wonderful explanation from now onwards i will reduce my carbohydrates intake.so whether GAD test alone determines it is Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes?.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It DOES. If you have antibodies you have autoimmune process, no matter your c-peptide and blood sugar levels. The proces smight not be enough to destroy your beta cells, but it could progress.

For anyone following and unfamiliar, Maggi makes a brand of what we call ramen noodles, cheap and easy to prepare, in India. They are delicious, but it is only the added flavorings that make them so! It would be lovely on vegetables too!!! I bought them at a local Indian grocery.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
it is only the added flavorings that make them so! It would be lovely on vegetables too!!! .
off topic:

Oh... that's a really good idea. One could empty the flavoring packet over, say, shirataki noodles!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yeah, but with all the glutamate in those packets .. they could prove addicting! I would consider it a "Transitional" strategy .... And who do you feed the ramens to -- the birds? ;-)

G

·
For anyone following and unfamiliar, Maggi makes a brand of what we call ramen noodles, cheap and easy to prepare, in India. They are delicious, but it is only the added flavorings that make them so! It would be lovely on vegetables too!!! I bought them at a local Indian grocery.
They're standard supermarket products here in Australia. And of course, we've had Maggi stock cubes here since Adam was a lad. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts