The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Around last November, I was told I was Borderline Diabetic. I went on a diet and cut out sugar and was doing pretty good until just after the New Year, but then I got back to my old ways. I did continue to drink Diet Soda though, at least I was able to do that. But, I ate enough other sweets that it didn't matter. In the meanwhile, my doctor was on a leave of absence, then I was told he was leaving his practice. I made an appt. with a new Dr. but have had to wait a couple months to get in. Well, I have an appt. with him this Wednesday.
Today, I had bloodwork, including a fasting glucose test. I am so dreading Wednesday because I'm fairly certain I am now a full blown Diabetic. I can tell from the way I feel that something is not right.
Since my early 20s, I've had problems with low blood sugar but always, if I ate a good balanced meal, I could snap myself out of feeling sick. Lately, I have not been able to do that. No matter what I eat, I continue feeling sick.
Plus, I've had a sore on my abdomen now for over 2 months that won't heal. My vision has also been very blurry. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but twice over the last few months, all of a sudden, I simply could not urinate. I would have horrible muscle spasms when trying. I don't know if i was dehydrated but both times, I just started drinking a lot of water, then once again, I was able to go.
I've also been getting very weak and feeling faint when becoming overheated and I did a search today and it said that can also be a symptom of Diabetes.
I am SO scared. What I can't figure out though, is why why why did I just continue letting myself getting worse. What is wrong with someone who will do that? I knew I was close to being a Diabetic.
Well, I'm glad I found you all.
Linda/Wisconsin/USA

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sounds like you need a real doctor really soon, not a gossip party! :D I'm not joking!

ColaJim

Hi Everyone,
Around last November, I was told I was Borderline Diabetic. I went on a diet and cut out sugar and was doing pretty good until just after the New Year, but then I got back to my old ways. I did continue to drink Diet Soda though, at least I was able to do that. But, I ate enough other sweets that it didn't matter. In the meanwhile, my doctor was on a leave of absence, then I was told he was leaving his practice. I made an appt. with a new Dr. but have had to wait a couple months to get in. Well, I have an appt. with him this Wednesday.
Today, I had bloodwork, including a fasting glucose test. I am so dreading Wednesday because I'm fairly certain I am now a full blown Diabetic. I can tell from the way I feel that something is not right.
Since my early 20s, I've had problems with low blood sugar but always, if I ate a good balanced meal, I could snap myself out of feeling sick. Lately, I have not been able to do that. No matter what I eat, I continue feeling sick.
Plus, I've had a sore on my abdomen now for over 2 months that won't heal. My vision has also been very blurry. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but twice over the last few months, all of a sudden, I simply could not urinate. I would have horrible muscle spasms when trying. I don't know if i was dehydrated but both times, I just started drinking a lot of water, then once again, I was able to go.
I've also been getting very weak and feeling faint when becoming overheated and I did a search today and it said that can also be a symptom of Diabetes.
I am SO scared. What I can't figure out though, is why why why did I just continue letting myself getting worse. What is wrong with someone who will do that? I knew I was close to being a Diabetic.
Well, I'm glad I found you all.
Linda/Wisconsin/USA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well okay but now you're scaring me. i have an appt. day after tomorrow to get results of the glucose test. i will find out then. and i'm already scared. :(

Sounds like you need a real doctor really soon, not a gossip party! :D I'm not joking!

ColaJim

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well really you took a few months to put yourself in this position and now a week more or less is not critical.
What I am referring to in the last post is that you seem to have several conditions that require lab test to evaluate so speculating on your condition without real lab data would be less than useful.

But if you are panicking, go to your local hospital ER and do not eat any more carbohydrates until then. Eat only things like real meat and cheese if you need to eat.

ColaJim

well okay but now you're scaring me. i have an appt. day after tomorrow to get results of the glucose test. i will find out then. and i'm already scared. :(

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Ivan...Glad you found us and hope we can comfort you and enable you to lose some of that fear. It's not the end of the universe, and most of us have adapted to it and are living good, full lives despite it. If your worst fears are realized and you have diabetes, all will be okay after you learn the rules of the game that you need to live by!

Fear not, it either is or isn't and you'll do great either way!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I waited too long but about the time I was ready to go back to be tested again, I found out my doc was on leave of absence. Then when he was due back, I called and they told me he had quit his practice, so I immediatley made an appt. with another doc at the clinic and I got the first available appt. for a new patient.
I have other conditions for which I am being treated -- high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, arthritis -- had a total hip replacement -- I'm falling a part. LOL My biggest concern is Diabetes though. No one at all in my family has ever had it.
Thanks for your input.

Well really you took a few months to put yourself in this position and now a week more or less is not critical.
What I am referring to in the last post is that you seem to have several conditions that require lab test to evaluate so speculating on your condition without real lab data would be less than useful.

But if you are panicking, go to your local hospital ER and do not eat any more carbohydrates until then. Eat only things like real meat and cheese if you need to eat.

ColaJim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome.

I do know how to eat properly, which just makes it all more pathetic that I've let myself get so bad. I've dealt with Hypoglycemia since 1973. Also, I know all about High Glycemic Carbs, and Good Fats, and Protein. I just don't know why I played Russian Roulette and put myself in this dire situation, or what feels dire. I guess it's because I feel so sick tonight that I'm so worried. And, it's good I'm worried; otherwise, I'd be totally certifiably nuts. :/

Do any of the symptoms I mentioned in my original post have anything at all to do with Diabetes?

Welcome, Ivan...Glad you found us and hope we can comfort you and enable you to lose some of that fear. It's not the end of the universe, and most of us have adapted to it and are living good, full lives despite it. If your worst fears are realized and you have diabetes, all will be okay after you learn the rules of the game that you need to live by!

Fear not, it either is or isn't and you'll do great either way!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm glad you found us too, Linda. Now take a deep breath & try to calm down. Just the fact that we're sitting here writing to you testifies to the fact that we've lived to tell about it.

There's no accounting for why we ignore the signs & symptoms, but I bet more of us do than don't. I did it myself to a certain degree, because there were greater medical issues in our household (my DH having total hip replacement!) at the time of my first high fasting, & since it was only 130 (7.2), I put off pursuing it for a few months until we got past the acute stuff. By the time we got our ducks in a row, my next official fasting was 163 (9.05), and I got my tail in gear!

So don't tear yourself down - you need that energy to regain your health & strength.

Make yourself at home here - ask all the questions you have & we'll work together to get you through this.

p.s. Yes, some of those symptoms can be associated with diabetes . . . slow healing of wounds, blurry vision . . . but when you get your blood sugar down & stable, things like that clear up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thing I wanted to mention is this: I've not been that healthy since my early 20s. I'm now 62. When I was 23, I was diagnosed as Bipolar and from that point on, any time I went to the doctor I was either told everything was due to my depression or "all in my head." It took me years and years and years before any doctor would take my physical symtoms seriously. I finally found a great doctor in 97 but in 2006, he left his practice. It was hit or miss until 2010, then I found what I thought would be another good doc, then he left his practice. So now, I start all over again on Wednesday and can only pray that this one takes me seriously. For a very long time, my physical symptoms were ignored by the medical profession. I'm not blaming them for my current conditions; however, it caused me over time to even doubt myself and 2nd guess myself. I often can be sick but my first instinct is to think, "maybe I'm just depressed." So, just had to add this so ppl can see kind of where I'm coming from. I'm going to go in to the doc on Wed., and demand proper treatment (and hope I won't come off as a hypochrondriac, which I've been blamed of plenty of times when I was younter). It's time to get really serious about my health; otherwise, I know I won't be around as long as I'd like to be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much. You made me feel a lil more at ease. :))) I was REALLY bad today. I had a piece of Flourless Chocolate Cake from Whole Foods CoOp. I went there to join, knowing I'll be eating more healthy "starting tomorrow" and wanted to get the discount, etc. I bought all healthy stuff, except for the cake. Well, it did me in. I have been so sick tonight. It may have not had FLOUR but it sure as heck had loads of sugar. I am sitting here now promising myself I will never eat another sweet thing again, that's how bad I feel. I had some cottage cheese, hoping it would make me feel better, and it did, a bit, but I'm still icky. Icky meaning a lot of things. :)
I'm so thankful for this forum. I'm really confused about how Diabetes is treated - whether or not I'll need injections, pills or just diet and just exactly what that diet will be like -- is it like the Zone Diet? Is it an individual diet or pretty much the same for everyone? Will my doc send me to a Nutritionist, I wonder? Well, thanks a bunch.
Linda :violin:

I'm glad you found us too, Linda. Now take a deep breath & try to calm down. Just the fact that we're sitting here writing to you testifies to the fact that we've lived to tell about it.

There's no accounting for why we ignore the signs & symptoms, but I bet more of us do than don't. I did it myself to a certain degree, because there were greater medical issues in our household (my DH having total hip replacement!) at the time of my first high fasting, & since it was only 130 (7.2), I put off pursuing it for a few months until we got past the acute stuff. By the time we got our ducks in a row, my next official fasting was 163 (9.05), and I got my tail in gear!

So don't tear yourself down - you need that energy to regain your health & strength.

Make yourself at home here - ask all the questions you have & we'll work together to get you through this.

p.s. Yes, some of those symptoms can be associated with diabetes . . . slow healing of wounds, blurry vision . . . but when you get your blood sugar down & stable, things like that clear up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, I wish I could change the Subject of this thread. I'm NOT dreading Wednesday. I am looking forward to it and I want to know what's what. Can't change what I don't know. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
The best thing that happened to me (I'm 60) in the last year was being diagnosed with diabetes, and I'm not unique in finding diabetes a blessing. Lots of people look back at their diagnosis that way.

Heck, maybe you'll be lucky as I was and be dx'ed with really high numbers, get even more scared, and get your act together on a dime like I did! I started feeling better very quickly, and can vouch for the fact that feeling crappy w/out diabetes and feeling great with is ... well ... no contest. I'll have another diabetes, please...

Yeah, you'll have to make some changes, but hanging around with other people who have done the exact same thing helps, and then there's the feeling better ...

You'll be fine. But no matter the results of your test, sounds as though you're due to start taking care of yourself anyway, and there's no better time than now :)

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes, your doc will probably send you to a dietician, but to be honest about it, most of us control our blood sugar and keep our bad cholesterol down, our good cholesterol up, our tryclicerides down and stay healthy by eating most of the things our dieticians tell us not to eat.

Right now what you need is knowledge. There is a website called bloodsugar101 that explains a lot of what you need to know in a way that is easy to understand. I hope you will go there and do some reading, then come back here and ask any questions you might have. The best thing you can do for yourself is go to your doctor's appointment armed with knowledge.

You definitely found the right forum. Welcome.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Actually, I wish I could change the Subject of this thread. I'm NOT dreading Wednesday. I am looking forward to it and I want to know what's what. Can't change what I don't know. :)
How about this? You tell me what to change it to & I'll change it for you! :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Linda, Welcome to the forum :tea:

As Shanny indicated, take a deep breath and (try to) relax, many of us have been in a similar spot. Just be sure to tell/show your new doc
about Plus, I've had a sore on my abdomen now for over 2 months that won't heal. that needs to be looked at!
As for symptoms being a determining factor, not necessarily, my brother had symptoms and after home BG testing - I figured he was Pre-Diabetic. Not according to his doc who did blood tests, and that is the opinion that counts. At least he is now 'aware' and at times will test FBG as well as before/after meal.

Whether you get a D diagnosis or not, do as much reading as you can on the Low Carb eating, many of us subscribe to that with good result. One thing to remember, if you are hungry eating that way, you are not doing it right. The are a bunch of Low carb snacks that won't raise the BG very much!!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. First relax, many of us probably were walking around with Diabetes for years before diagnosis. I remember I was going through menopause and thought the symptoms I was having were menopause related. Many of us have episodes of low blood sugar in the early stages of diabetes. I think it has to do with Insulin Resistance and our body producing way too much insulin which floods your system all at once dropping you pretty low. One of the things you will have to learn about diabetes is that it is all carbs, not just sugar that you have to watch. Start reading labels and look at total carbs. You want that number as close to 0 as possible. I like to limit most meals to 10-15. Also pick up a carb counting book and check everything you eat. Even vegetables have carbs, so it is a relearning process about what is safe to eat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you EVERYone. And thanks, Shanny, for changing the Subject line. That's pretty cool. LOL I'm going to go to Bloodsugar 101 and do some reading. Have a great day everyone!!!
Linda

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I REALLY love this message!!!

The best thing that happened to me (I'm 60) in the last year was being diagnosed with diabetes, and I'm not unique in finding diabetes a blessing. Lots of people look back at their diagnosis that way.

Heck, maybe you'll be lucky as I was and be dx'ed with really high numbers, get even more scared, and get your act together on a dime like I did! I started feeling better very quickly, and can vouch for the fact that feeling crappy w/out diabetes and feeling great with is ... well ... no contest. I'll have another diabetes, please...

Yeah, you'll have to make some changes, but hanging around with other people who have done the exact same thing helps, and then there's the feeling better ...

You'll be fine. But no matter the results of your test, sounds as though you're due to start taking care of yourself anyway, and there's no better time than now :)

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been to Urgent Care twice for this sore on my tummy. I couldn't get into see a doctor so they sent me there. It's actually a re-occuring sore on scar tissue and I"VE HAD IT WITH THIS SORE. They WILL determine what it is and THEY WILL find a solution or I just won't leave the doctor's office. I AM TIRED OF IT. LOL It's right at my waist, where my jeans rub it, but still -- no excuse -- I WANT IT GONE. (can you tell I'm revving up to be assertive tomorrow, ha ha.) Mostly what worries me about the sore is it developing an infection which could then travel to my hip replacement which could be devastating. ACK! Plus it looks like heck. I want a sexy tummy. (Ya, right, not with this flab!) :(

Hi Linda, Welcome to the forum :tea:

As Shanny indicated, take a deep breath and (try to) relax, many of us have been in a similar spot. Just be sure to tell/show your new doc
about Plus, I've had a sore on my abdomen now for over 2 months that won't heal. that needs to be looked at!
As for symptoms being a determining factor, not necessarily, my brother had symptoms and after home BG testing - I figured he was Pre-Diabetic. Not according to his doc who did blood tests, and that is the opinion that counts. At least he is now 'aware' and at times will test FBG as well as before/after meal.

Whether you get a D diagnosis or not, do as much reading as you can on the Low Carb eating, many of us subscribe to that with good result. One thing to remember, if you are hungry eating that way, you are not doing it right. The are a bunch of Low carb snacks that won't raise the BG very much!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts