The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what will happen to my bg's if I'm only eating one meal a day (actually only a half a meal)? I have about 40 cents to my name for the next two weeks, all out of food stamps, and I can't even find a food bank anywhere. Worst time of my life!:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your BGs should improve greatly. Be careful with those free meals you might get. They can be very carby.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your BGs should improve greatly. Be careful with those free meals you might get. They can be very carby.

Beggers can't be choosers, but the real question I was asking was about complications. I can't imagine eating only once a day would be good for a diabetic.

By the way, I also felt your response was a tad insenstive, being as how we're a support group here.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes we are, and PowerPumper has been supporting his fellow diabetics for a very long time. He just doesn't mince words.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Can anyone tell me what will happen to my bg's if I'm only eating one meal a day (actually only a half a meal)? I have about 40 cents to my name for the next two weeks, all out of food stamps, and I can't even find a food bank anywhere. Worst time of my life!:(:(:(:(
I guess blood sugar would be the least of your worries. It would be different if you were hypoglycemic, that could be disastrous. But, as a T2 this poses no risk from that angle. Of course in other ways it is not good for your health. No one should be in this position. Is there no person or organization near you willing to help?

I hope your situation improves soon.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh Rosie...I wish you lived nearby so I could provide some help to you. Just try to find soup kitchens and eat what you can without indulging too heavily in the carbs. Of course if you do it will just make you crave more and more. Try to fill up on at least veggies if offered. If not, do the best you can. If a carby meal is what is being offered, by all means eat your fill but try to do some light exercise like walking to help fend off a spike. My heart and my prayers are with you right now. I hope things get better soon. Sending really great vibes toward you and yours. Hugs sweetie. Let us know if there is anyway we can be of help to you at this time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I guess it depends on your liver. Either your bgs will be awesome or your liver will overcompensate giving you high bgs til it runs out of juice at which point it'll come down again. Summertime I'd recommend wild veggie foraging and fishing but it's too late in the season for that. Yard sale time? Or watch somebodies kids in the evening and raid their fridge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting. Most diabetics would get a liver dump in the middle of that, so they wouldn't keep dropping.
I have been a low blood sugar guy from childhood. So being diagnised with diabetes was a shock - but even with diabetes my 'low sugar problem' keeps appearing - I just have to skip lunch and by evening I would get cold sweat and shivering.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this, Rosie! You're not on insulin or meds, if I recall, so lows should not be a problem. That's something. Main thing is to get some food -- any food.

Are you still in Philly? Have you tried Philabundance.org -- 1-800-319-FOOD (3663)?

They offer Emergency Food Boxes ("E-Boxes"), and it looks like you can phone to get one. They also have a Community Food Center (food pantry) located in the lower level of the Lehigh Branch of the Philadelphia Free Library. Unfortunately, they're not open on Sundays. Pantry hours are 11:00am - 3:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday.

I wish I could help more, and for real. It's been awhile, but I've been there. Please PM me if you wish.

And please keep us posted!

Reactions: Patdart and jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. If you are in a bigger community call Social Services and find where the community food banks are. Do you have any family or friends that could help you out a little? That being said our bodies are designed to withstand Starvation. So your liver will kick with extra Glycogen to keep your blood sugar up. So I wouldn't think low blood sugar should be an issue. Are you on any meds/or insulin if so you may have to lower the doses. I wished I lived closer and could help you out.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I do too, Rosie...wish I were closer like Jeanne, but Shalynne perhaps gave you some good leads. I'll put you on my list of people I think about often. Good luck and Huggz,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Beggers can't be choosers, but the real question I was asking was about complications. I can't imagine eating only once a day would be good for a diabetic.
Humans have evolved around periods of feast and famine. We can live just fine on one meal a day. Many days or weeks without food is a concern.

By the way, I also felt your response was a tad insenstive, being as how we're a support group here.
As far as insensitive goes, maybe you can teach me how to read words that aren't there. You only asked about blood sugars, and I answered your question. If you wanted to know about complications, you should have asked about complications.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Just a thought, but many Churches are set up to help people in your situation.
I agree. In fact, my wife does just that here in our part of Stockholm. Everyday she gives out tons of food to individuals and families and I can't imagine it being much different on that side of the pond. I remember my mother doing the same when I was founder. A single mom living on welfare and with 5 kids in tow needs all the help she can get and she made sure we didn't starve.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Mormon Church has a great outreach program. I have a cousin in Utah who is the president of the Wormen's league. Their main function is helping out people in their district in times of need, Mormon or non-mormon. They often give emergency food relief to people in emergency situations. Most Mormon churches have Food Pantries. If you could contact the local Bishop in your area, they might be willing to help. Most churches have similar programs, don't be afraid to ask.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Eating once in a day is not good for diabetic people. If you want to keep your body healthy then you must eat some healthy and low carb food. If you are not sure about you daily meal which is better for your health then concern doctor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rosie, I always loved your username...I'm sorry you are going through this and hope things get better soon!

I can't offer any advice because I'm still new to this and not dealing well myself. Still - you are not alone!:grouphug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts