The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I saw a Dietician back in January and She told me that I have my numbers under control but, she would rather me control my desease instead of the desease controlling me... Hmmm sounds familiar to my theory of "fixing the situation or solving the problem" There is a big difference! So we talked about what I was doing and how I was handling my diet. She then made a deal with me... I watch what I eat for 2 weeks, my way, and then 2 weeks, her way. I keep records of the following things
Food intake
Fluid intake
Calorie intake (Not mandatory)
Time
BG Readings

My way- Eat to my meter Limiting my carbs based on my meter
Her way- Eat more carbs then I would usually eat (most meals 2-3X more)

The results... Her way won. I found out that I was able to eat more carbs and by doing so my BG would actually level out and maintain a steady point of 100-110 max after meals was 120. I was shocked but, relieved also. Now we both credit the fact that I am on a medication that works for me and that most of my meals are complex slow acting Carbs but, it is still nice to know I can have carbs. again this is just me but, I would encourage new diabetics or those struggling with BG reading to try the same and see what happens.

Please know that I do believe some need to Eat to your Meter but, I have learned my body would Lie to my meter by producing Glucose all day that I could have been supplying with Carbs.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I always eat to my meter, and have very good control, but I am type 1. Your eating more carbs may be working because you are type 2 and not using insulin. I am eating 120-130 carbs per day and if I increase my carb intake I gain weight, how about you?

Richard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When I eat more carbs than normal, I gain weight too. It is almost frustrating but it keeps me honest. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always eat to my meter, and have very good control, but I am type 1. Your eating more carbs may be working because you are type 2 and not using insulin. I am eating 120-130 carbs per day and if I increase my carb intake I gain weight, how about you?

Richard
Well Richard When I was Eating to my Meter.... Your 120-130 carbs would have scared the CRAP out of me!!!!! I was eating 40-60 to get reading around 100-120! Now I am eating 120-180 and getting readings in the 100's consistently. I think that was the problem... Everyone tells everyone to eat to the meter but, does not offer alternatives. I was just saying to try 2 weeks restricting to your meter and then 2 weeks with a little more to see if there was a difference.

As far as Weight... I have gone from 250 to 210 since October now I have noticed my pants are getting looser but my Weight is somewhat steady... Guessing I am adding more muscle so need to do more Cardio. Another thing I found was Carb Loading before Exercising allowed me to get in a better exercise than when i was restricting.

Again... Not for Everyone.... Just want people to find what works best for them

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I eat more carbs than normal, I gain weight too. It is almost frustrating but it keeps me honest. ;)

Josh... I did not want it to be taken the wrong way... When you are taught to eat XXX number of Carbs by Nutritionist then hear... Eat to your meter and Carbs are bad... What is the first thing people do??? Me I cut all Carbs and when I had a High reading... I cut them more... when in reality the High reading was my body asking for more... That is all I was trying to say

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Increased gluconeogenesis? Interesting.

My use of insulin tells me I have that -- the first 3 days on increased basal, my numbers ran high, but after that they sank into 80's and 90's.

Your running in the 100's might indicate some decay in basal values, though, from the norm.

What are your post-prandials running on this regimen?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Josh... I did not want it to be taken the wrong way... When you are taught to eat XXX number of Carbs by Nutritionist then hear... Eat to your meter and Carbs are bad... What is the first thing people do??? Me I cut all Carbs and when I had a High reading... I cut them more... when in reality the High reading was my body asking for more... That is all I was trying to say
I think you make a valid point. Especially in terms of glucose being produced by the body. I'm fasting today for Ash Wednesday and my fasting blood sugar was 84. I just tested for what would normally be an after breakfast reading and it was 91. I didn't eat anything and wanted to make sure I didn't need to drink something.
In other words, your body will produce some. I think you definitely need to find what works best for you. If you can eat more carbs, more power to you!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Increased gluconeogenesis? Interesting.

My use of insulin tells me I have that -- the first 3 days on increased basal, my numbers ran high, but after that they sank into 80's and 90's.

Your running in the 100's might indicate some decay in basal values, though, from the norm.

What are your post-prandials running on this regimen?
I am not on Insulin... The Medication I take is Victoza Learn About Managing Type 2 Diabetes With Victoza® (liraglutide [rDNA origin] injection)

My numbers before I went to this diet would be 70-140 always different I would be 110-120 fasting then only have Protien for breakfast and i would be 70-80 by Lunch... Carbs (10-15) and Protiens for Lunch would get me to 120 (Found out this was really a Dump) Back to 100 for snack... Continue work and at Dinner I was 115 (Again result of a Dump) and by time i was going to bed 80 (So I got another Dump at Night)
My Daily Carbs
Breakfast- 0
Snack-0
Lunch-10
Snack- 0
Dinner- 10
Snack- 20

When i was eating to my meter I thought i was doing a good job. Now I eat to my meter still but with the Mindset that I can eat more for the same results... Difference is Now I am between 100-110 Consistently.
Breakfast- 30
Snack-5-15
Lunch-45
Snack- 5-15
Dinner- 45
Snack- 20
If you averaged all of My BG readings before I changed my Diet you will see I was around a 100 average... Now I am 100 I just do not need to deal with the high and low readings to get there

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you make a valid point. Especially in terms of glucose being produced by the body. I'm fasting today for Ash Wednesday and my fasting blood sugar was 84. I just tested for what would normally be an after breakfast reading and it was 91. I didn't eat anything and wanted to make sure I didn't need to drink something.
In other words, your body will produce some. I think you definitely need to find what works best for you. If you can eat more carbs, more power to you!
In my case I found out I had to eat more Carbs... So that I can stay level instead of having the highs and lows... I am curious How many carbs do you eat a day? As I said elsewhere I found myself eating a diet that was very restrictive and that was why she challenged me

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I eat between 75-90 grams a day. I'm on insulin and the main reason I stay here is for weight control.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I eat between 75-90 grams a day. I'm on insulin and the main reason I stay here is for weight control.
I guess I should have said I was not on Insulin in the original post. When I was eating to my meter originally i was just to restrictive. I think when Someone is On insulin they are playing a different game then I am playing. I will say my favorite thing is watching my numbers as an average now instead of the "How Low can I go!" I was doing before. My method was all by diet and exercise...Less carbs and a walk would get me to 70 and this of set the 130. Now I am not shooting for the lows. I guess my goal now is to be stable

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think this shows how we are all different. I try to keep my carbs between 50-75 a day and when I go over that my morning bgs go above 100. I get my best numbers on 40-50 carbs per day. I hit my target weight last year and then lost another 13 pounds. By adding some carbs back in I have started to gain some of those pounds back on, so I need to watch it very carefully. I need a diet I can do for life on the least mediction possible. I do believe in eating to my meter. It is the only thing that has allowed me to get bgs into the 70's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts