Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Not Gaining My Weight Back :(

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gphx 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was diagnosed a year ago now, i'm 19 and when I was diagnosed I went from 63kgs to 56, just hopped on the scales now and im 55...I eat cereal for breakfast, I eat a normal sized lunch and I have good dinners...yet im not gaining weight!! :mad:
I asked a diabetic nurse about it and she said theres not much I can do but keep eating my 3 healthy meals a day. I want to start going back to the gym...so I would be looking at getting Mass Gaining Protein, Has lots of carbs but as long as I take insulin for each protein shake I should be ok... But what im mainly concerned about is that it has been a full year and if anything iv lost weight

#2 ·
I don't know what this Mass Gaining product is, but I'd be leery. Without knowing what kind of diet you're on, I think if I were you I'd try to avoid eating any more carbs, and instead add fats to your diet. Fats won't mess with your blood sugars, and they aren't a risk for CVD either (never-mind what your medical professionals say - fats are NOT the enemy and when used in conjunction with a low-carb way of eating, they will actually lower your cholesterol). Of course, since gaining weight is the goal, I guess you don't worry about how much insulin you have to use, but still in all, the more insulin required, the harder it is to maintain balance without having wild swings in your blood sugars.

Good to have you back, by the way . . . don't be a stranger! ;)

#3 ·
What do your bgs normally range , especially after meals. I find when my bgs are high that I have hard times gaining weight, especially muscle. It wasn't until I got my bgs back under 100 that my weight stabalized.

#4 ·
Personally I don't do well on the '3 square meal' plan. It makes my bgs go like this:

/\/\/\/\/\

3 square meals plus eating a steady stream of snacks all day, provided they're low carb, gives me bgs more like this:

-----------

Try loading your pockets with raw almonds and beef jerky and munching periodically between meals. Note those are largely protein too, no mix required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.