The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not able to sign in with my iCloud email and this kept asking for my google email so I had to use this google email.
my user name is Arvadco.
oh well here I am anyways
I am female 64 prediabetes for about 5 to 7 years, I lost track.

inhave a question about what time of day to take metformin. I was taking for years with breakfast then stopped for years then gained a bunch of weight and here I am taking it again with dinner and having awful stomach pains the next day. My doctor said I can take with breakfast so I did and now evening and here I am with awful stomach pangs anyways. I take 500 extended release once a day so far but would be working up 500 ER twice a day. I am trying to eat low carb to avoid this but I’ve had carbs today but how much carbs is too much to avoid this if this pain is from carbs?

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Hi Arvadco (Jackandluna),

I will see what can be done to resolve your log in issues with forum admins.

I don't know if time is much of a factor as far as which meal. I was taking 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening until I quit eating breakfast and started taking both 500s at supper. I didn't notice any differences, that is not to say that others may find it affects them differently.

As far as your pain issues, you should report this to your doctor. Extended release metformin is supposed to be more user friendly than regular metformin. Many that had issues with regular switched over to ER and the problems were gone. It may be that a different brand of the ER would not do that. That would be something your pharmacist could help with.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Many that had issues with regular switched over to ER and the problems were gone. It may be that a different brand of the ER would not do that. That would be something your pharmacist could help with.
Other posters here have mentioned that very behavior -- that switching the brand of Metformin they took resolved gastric issues. Certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m fine with this new log in lol.

mad for changing brands of metformin I have done that already. Actually it didn’t get as bad as it had taking it with dinner. My question was about taking it with breakfast versus dinner and will it be just as effective? I was told when talks with dinner that it helps with this dawn phenomenon. It may be too soon yo get them pangs again but maybe in another day or so they will really rear their head.

Hi Arvadco (Jackandluna),

I will see what can be done to resolve your log in issues with forum admins.

I don't know if time is much of a factor as far as which meal. I was taking 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening until I quit eating breakfast and started taking both 500s at supper. I didn't notice any differences, that is not to say that others may find it affects them differently.

As far as your pain issues, you should report this to your doctor. Extended release metformin is supposed to be more user friendly than regular metformin. Many that had issues with regular switched over to ER and the problems were gone. It may be that a different brand of the ER would not do that. That would be something your pharmacist could help with.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
I've always heard it takes a while for the metformin to build up in your system to be effective. Does it work more after you take it daily and then tapers off? I don't know, but wouldn't think the extended release would be that way. It should be released gradually after you take it. I've even heard of some people saying they have seen some tablets remaining in their stool.

Maybe others will chime in about their experiences.

Reactions: Jackandluna
1 - 5 of 5 Posts