The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally joined a couple of years ago but never posted until today. I am a type 2, dx'd in 2007, so going on 4 years now. I live in NorthEast Ohio near Lake Erie. I currently use 2550 of metformin and a relatively low carb diet and lots of Coconut Oil to manage my bgs. Last HbA1c was 5.9 hoping to get it to the mid 5's for the next one. I have 5 kids from the age of 21-32, no grandchildren yet, still hoping. Glad to be here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome back! Good to hear you're under control! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am going for nearly 4 years now - that I have been off medformin. Control one’s Bgs just with diet and exercising is hard and I am always on the lookout for new ideas. Cinnamon and lemon juice are my best “additives” .
Looking forward to reading more about your ideas and advice
Pine

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome back , guys. I find over the past 4 years, trial and error has to be my motto. Something works for awhile and then stops working. Right now I have actually added back some carbs in the form of sprouted bread, which makes me very happy. I can eat toast and grilled cheese sandwiches again. For some reason the sprouted grain, although it spikes me the first hour , I will be back around 120-125 at 2 hours and usually under 100 at 3 hours. It makes life as a diabetic more bearable. I would love to get off metformin but I dout that is possible. I've lost all the weight I need to and now eat extra fat to add calories to my diet to gain a pound or two, so I am not too skinny.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wags

Hey jwags, I remember you from the other site. That is great you are having good control. Thanks for posting on our site.

Richard

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a good Christmas yesterday with lots of family and lots of food, of course. Both my daughters were in the kitchen cooking all day. We ended up with vegan food for my girls, junk food for the boys and some low carb food for me. We had some guests who brought fresh bread from a bakery she works at, boy did that smell good, but I was good. I did give in to one too many christmas cookies and one of my daugheters potato pancakes. Made sure I had enough fat to delay the spike. Was 101 this morning, not too bad. Now the trick is to not pig out on all the leftovers. I will try a long walk, if the sun ever comes out today. Thanks for your welcome.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I originally joined a couple of years ago but never posted until today. I am a type 2, dx'd in 2007, so going on 4 years now. I live in NorthEast Ohio near Lake Erie. I currently use 2550 of metformin and a relatively low carb diet and lots of Coconut Oil to manage my bgs. Last HbA1c was 5.9 hoping to get it to the mid 5's for the next one. I have 5 kids from the age of 21-32, no grandchildren yet, still hoping. Glad to be here.
Welcome back jwags. We know from the other forum where I don't post nowadays. In fact, I don't post frequently now in any of the three diabetes forums I belong to -- because there is a life outside of diabetes :). Frankly, I don't want to be reminded of my diabetes too frequently :), but at the same time I believe I lead a fairly healthy life paying adequate attention to my diet, exercise, medication (mainly Metformin), and adequate BG testing.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm aware of my diabetes but don't let it rule my life. I do stick to my diet and am happy now bgs are finally cooperating. I have even upped my carbs to incorperate more natural carbs without spiking. You are so right there is a whole world out there to enjoy. I just want to stay healthy to enjoy it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just joined as well, welcome back hope everything works out for you. I am getting alot of advice and love it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm aware of my diabetes but don't let it rule my life. I do stick to my diet and am happy now bgs are finally cooperating. I have even upped my carbs to incorperate more natural carbs without spiking. You are so right there is a whole world out there to enjoy. I just want to stay healthy to enjoy it.
I am trying to get in better health so i can enjoy life, in 08 when i was told i had diabetes I took on an attitude if its going to kill me let it i was in a very dark place in life and i went in denial however now 2 years later i am ready to fight this till the end i need and want to service and watch my son grow old and live happy life like i should be doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think when anyone has a chronic disease, depression sometimes creeps in. The problem with diabetes is that you can sometimes do everything right and still get high bgs. It took me trying everything before I finally saw a bg under 100 . I'll have great bgs 5 days in a row and then high bgs for 2-3 days. I want to be here for my family too. Sometimes I think it is not fair, that I have to be so strict with diet and exericse but I guess that is the hand I was dealt and I'll just live with it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the trick is to embrace diabetes and make that decision we are going to conrol it rather than the other way around. We have a member here who has had Type 1 since he was 4 or 5. He is now 70 and very healthy. He is my role model. Both my parents are in their early 90's and my dad does have type 2. So a long, healthy life is definitely possible for us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts