The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share a couple of things that are puzzling me about my diabetes right now:
1) Everytime I go near a supermarket my BGL drops too low. I got there today and thought I'd better test before I step inside the store... just one look at the entrance and my BGL was sitting on 4.7... I knew what that meant... if I didn't eat something to get it up a little I'd be having a hypo in the damn store again. I'm not sure if it's the colour, the smell, the lighting? It's a bit of a mystery.

2) I'm still having hypos at night and I'm literally worn out physically and mentally and since coming back from Sydney last week I've got nerve pain everywhere and my eyes are twitching. I don't seem to be waking up fully for these hypos I'm having. I half woke up early hours this morning and I felt hypo but instead of fully waking up I drop quickly back off to sleep. I'm just a bit concerned about the falling asleep bit. I have adjusted my basal a couple of times already but I just can't get it right still. Mind you my stomach is still not sorted and is playing up a lot and I reckon it's playing a big part in the rollercoaster ride I'm having with my BGLs. I think how I'm currently feeling is from having too many hypos? I really don't know :confused:...I'm looking forward to feeling some sort of normality again.

Has anyone else had either experience? Care to share what you did or what you have done that helps? :D

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I thought I'd share a couple of things that are puzzling me about my diabetes right now:
1) Everytime I go near a supermarket my BGL drops too low. I got there today and thought I'd better test before I step inside the store... just one look at the entrance and my BGL was sitting on 4.7... I knew what that meant... if I didn't eat something to get it up a little I'd be having a hypo in the damn store again. I'm not sure if it's the colour, the smell, the lighting? It's a bit of a mystery.

2) I'm still having hypos at night and I'm literally worn out physically and mentally and since coming back from Sydney last week I've got nerve pain everywhere and my eyes are twitching. I don't seem to be waking up fully for these hypos I'm having. I half woke up early hours this morning and I felt hypo but instead of fully waking up I drop quickly back off to sleep. I'm just a bit concerned about the falling asleep bit. I have adjusted my basal a couple of times already but I just can't get it right still. Mind you my stomach is still not sorted and is playing up a lot and I reckon it's playing a big part in the rollercoaster ride I'm having with my BGLs. I think how I'm currently feeling is from having too many hypos? I really don't know :confused:...I'm looking forward to feeling some sort of normality again.

Has anyone else had either experience? Care to share what you did or what you have done that helps? :D
I often get down into the 70s middle of the night (I was 4.0, in mmol/L, at 3:45 this morning, for example)--but that is not a level that causes any symptoms for me. I woke up for the day 2 hours later, and was at 80 (4.4).

I'm not on insulin, either. For patients on Lantus who experience night-time hypos at doses needed to keep their morning BGs in line, Dr. Bernstein suggests that they split their nighttime Lantus dose in half--half at bedtime, and half four hours later.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I woke at 85, unusually low for me.

I was riding the bus and had this great vision of depicting Incan architecture in knitting ... a rare creative epiphany for me! The more I explored the idea, the more interesting it became. And then WHAM -- liver dump. I did not want to test in a moving bus, but I could tell I had an adrenal rush. Nausea and sweating. Glad my system still takes care of lows.

Still considering how to use this idea, but I seriously do think it was a case of "overusing" (LOL) my brain's available glucose.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I used to have that problem at the supermarket, but I found it was the time of day that caused my lows. Istopped going in the morning. Going in the afternoon , soon after lunch/tea does not cause me a problem. After a meal is better than before a meal for me.

Have you tried half of your Lantus in the evening, and half in the morning? Shottlebop's suggestion might work too. If you split your Lantus into two separate doses, you should be less likely to have hypos at night. You could also have a high protein snack before bedtime, have you tried that?

Reactions: Horsewhisperer

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've had similar issues at the local grocery store. I think it is the lights. I get that dizzy feeling and by the time I test I've usually gotten the adrenaline rush so it is higher. I try to eat a snack before I shop.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I used to have that problem at the supermarket, but I found it was the time of day that caused my lows. Istopped going in the morning. Going in the afternoon , soon after lunch/tea does not cause me a problem. After a meal is better than before a meal for me.

Have you tried half of your Lantus in the evening, and half in the morning? Shottlebop's suggestion might work too. If you split your Lantus into two separate doses, you should be less likely to have hypos at night. You could also have a high protein snack before bedtime, have you tried that?
hi Richard

Thanks so much for your advice :)

I wish I could say it was the time of day when I go to the supermarket, but it isn't. Yesterday I went on my way home from work. I have hypos also when I go to the supermarket in the mornings. I have been running more on the higher side lately because I've dropped my basal... so the 4.7 was unusual at that time of the afternoon and it is amazing how quick I actually drop within half an hour. I usually test Ok other times and suddenly I have a hypo when shopping. I love drinking my chilled water and I notice I had drop by 2 in half an hour and I often do that... equally I can go the other way.

In regard to the hypos I did raise the splitting the dose with my endo a couple of times already and he says he doesn't want me splitting the dose as it's supposed to be a 24 hour insulin (and I don't believe it is... maybe more like 12 hours or so). His instructions were to drop my dosage which I have and then work my way back up. He is still monitoring me closely right now. I dropped dosage down to 13 units and I had less hypos (but still had them), but my numbers during the day were not good even with the bolus... for example I didn't eat for 4.5 hours and was sitting on 14. :eek: So I've bumped basal up one unit and now I'm just getting unpredictable BGLs throughout the day (low and highs). I've been in a lot of pain lately and I'm very fatigued. It's possibly a number of factors affecting me right now but it makes controlling the BGLs hard. I like the idea of the 4 hour split... although for me that means having to interrupt my sleep again which is what I'm trying not to do as I need to get some proper sleep... I function my best on 7 hours minimum. Also re: hypo... I started to feel odd at 4.20 am today and tested at 4.6... as it wasn't near my wake up time I got up and quickly grabbed a bit of juice and milk and went back to bed... woke up on 4.7... so I obviously caught that one before it got me. I do feel when my body is in the 4's now... it must be like a natural warning signal for me.
Oh I should mention that I do eat a snack before bed and usually a protein too and a bit of carb. Eg. this is when I will eat cheese, yoghurt, or whatever. I found the snack was helping... the only change is the temperature (it's colder here) that's triggered more hypos... I didn't notice this last winter so I'm unsure why it's different this winter.... stomach worse maybe?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've had similar issues at the local grocery store. I think it is the lights. I get that dizzy feeling and by the time I test I've usually gotten the adrenaline rush so it is higher. I try to eat a snack before I shop.
it's a mystery for sure :D I full on get the hypo though and the first thing I do when I'm pushing my trolley is I start pulling to my left... yeah I go off balance bad. That's what happened when I had my first hypo at home... I got up and walked to my left and I was leaning to my left too obviously as I hit my head on a wall. The last thing I want is to knock products off the shelves with my head. lol... although not really funny. The other thing is I suddenly can't feel my feet at that point... and that's when I panic and no doubt the adrenaline starts.
Interestingly I have a friend with epilepsy who tells me certain places trigger seizures for her.. so she said she can relate. It's odd isn't it. Maybe diabetes being hormonal... maybe it's a strange chemical reaction thing going on? I don't recall any bad things about supermarkets generally (eg. no horrible experiences)... although shopping isn't my favourite thing to do... maybe that is all it is?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey not if this is much help but I went through that, I would wake up nealy every night going low. My doc told me to make sure my bgl was about 7 before I went to bed. Have somthing small to eat (like tea and a cookie) then check in the morning.

Its woked well for me. Althought ever now and then I dose happen again but not as bad

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey not if this is much help but I went through that, I would wake up nealy every night going low. My doc told me to make sure my bgl was about 7 before I went to bed. Have somthing small to eat (like tea and a cookie) then check in the morning.

Its woked well for me. Althought ever now and then I dose happen again but not as bad
thanks Chidlet :D
Yeah my endo told me to do the same thing and that is what I aim for every night. I eat a snack every night too. But for some reason my BGLs just swing low all the time. Say if it was the exact time every night I could probably work that out... but it's not. It happens anywhere between midnight and 5 am usually... that's the time I'm usually asleep. I don't plan on staying awake just to avoid hypos. It's starting to mess with my head in that I'm now noticing I'm slightly nervous about going to sleep... I pray I wake up. And I think in the back of my mind I always remember my doc telling me that some diabetics have livers that don't dump on them... so it can malfunction. I'm thinking "please liver do your job in case I don't wake up". It's silly how we have to put up with this stuff... it's not an exact science from what I can gather. I'm not a scientist anyhow.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I agree with Richard as I was taking 9 u of Lantus at night and hitting the 2.0mmols and below around 4 am Even when bedtime bsl was above 4 mmols and extra portion with supper. So now I have 5 morn and 4 before bed plus Apidra 0-2 u at main meals depending on how many exchanges I am having and my bsl reading.

Now as for the supermarket I have no idea but I always test before driving the car and carry glucose talbets in handbag. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts

I started having some serious hypo's at night due to working out later in the day and for awhile it was nearly impossible to prevent. I would wake up every night with juice waiting on the table next to my bed. It got RIDICULOUS. I'm a single guy who sometimes stays the night elsewhere. How was I supposed to live like this?? What I did that helped was eat a snack moderate in carbs and high in protein or a protein shake. Breaking down protein takes longer than carbs so it helped balance it out into the wee hours. I also reduced my NPH by 3/4 the units.

My greatest fear is to go into diabetic shock in a public place. If I ever go to a store, and it's going to be for awhile, I'll grab a regular soda from the store's fridge and carry it with me while I shop.

I know what you're going through. I get soooo paranoid about my BG levels going down when I'm out that I'm starting to get anxiety. Now it has gotten to the point where I mistake the anxiety for hypo and the end result is never good.

I'm not on insulin, either. For patients on Lantus who experience night-time hypos at doses needed to keep their morning BGs in line, Dr. Bernstein suggests that they split their nighttime Lantus dose in half--half at bedtime, and half four hours later.
I tried this myself but it ruins a goodnights sleep having to do that. It takes a toll on you in the long run. Pretty soon you'll be grouchy and super tired during the day for having to wake up every single night to do this.

How high is a 7? I've been doing that and my doctor has been telling me that it's not a good idea to let my BG level go high for any reason.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How high is a 7? I've been doing that and my doctor has been telling me that it's not a good idea to let my BG level go high for any reason.
Mmol/l of 7 is roughly 125 mg/dl. In my opinion, that isn't too high since it's on its way down. What is your doc's definition of "high", and does he make a distinction on whether it's dropping or rising?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It is inconvenient to carry a soda with you. Glucose tablets in a small tube are much easier to carry, and they work very fast. I have them with me at all times, wherever i go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh well that's not high at all. A high blood sugar for me is the standard, pretty much anything over 160. It's been a roller coaster ride for me ever since I began working out intensely. For the most part, my levels are on a constant decline post workout. But there are some times when I anticipate a decline in BG after testing, and I'm wrong. It's very complicated for me right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts