The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after having been with my husband to a nutritionalist, I have learned that the Diabetes diet is almost a mythical thing that non diabetics can live off of. Yes you have to eat pleanty of fresh fruits and vegitables (more veggies than anything), but you also have to watch just how many carbs per meal you eat. Like spagetti, and anything with a lot of carbs. (pasta, noodles, and such) In general, my husband and I tend to eat lots of vegtables, and about a half a cup of noodles of some kind or another, because you have to have some form of carbs to keep your sugar to a certain level.
Another thing thats not good for a diabetic, Eggs. Did you all know that a diabetic can only really have about 3 eggs a week????? And bacon, wow, they really arent suppost to have bacon, but maybe a couple of slices a week. Its really a lot harder than one would thing, well its not really hard, but its not easy either. A lot of it is really self controll. Thats the one thing you have to remember is self controll.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am very new to this so am not sure yet about the amounts of anything.
I will be seeing the Dr. this Friday. And I hope she will be able to help me out.
When in the Hospital, the dieticain there said NO bacon or saugsage. Yet, the booklet that was given me shows where it is like 2 choices??
For now the info that I have from the hospital is confusing and contradicting !!
I hope some is cleared up come friday. I hope?? yesss !! lolol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after having been with my husband to a nutritionalist, I have learned that the Diabetes diet is almost a mythical thing that non diabetics can live off of. Yes you have to eat pleanty of fresh fruits and vegitables (more veggies than anything), but you also have to watch just how many carbs per meal you eat. Like spagetti, and anything with a lot of carbs. (pasta, noodles, and such) In general, my husband and I tend to eat lots of vegtables, and about a half a cup of noodles of some kind or another, because you have to have some form of carbs to keep your sugar to a certain level.
Another thing thats not good for a diabetic, Eggs. Did you all know that a diabetic can only really have about 3 eggs a week????? And bacon, wow, they really arent suppost to have bacon, but maybe a couple of slices a week. Its really a lot harder than one would thing, well its not really hard, but its not easy either. A lot of it is really self controll. Thats the one thing you have to remember is self controll.
Got to also remember to watch that cholestrol...
if that goes up,so does your A1c...
especially those trigylcerides!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok .. have done a bunch of my own research on it. And have found that there is alot that can be ate. I am also learning to ck the carbs content out better too.
I am finding that it hasn't really changed much as to what I eat as how I eat it.
I no longer fix that whole sandwich .. lol hmmmm
but the carbs reading has been very interesting.
Dr didn't give much on answers at the meeting. But thats ok. I now feel better with it all after my own research of it. And am attempting to figure out a sorta menu for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok .. have done a bunch of my own research on it. And have found that there is alot that can be ate. I am also learning to ck the carbs content out better too.
I am finding that it hasn't really changed much as to what I eat as how I eat it.
I no longer fix that whole sandwich .. lol hmmmm
but the carbs reading has been very interesting.
Dr didn't give much on answers at the meeting. But thats ok. I now feel better with it all after my own research of it. And am attempting to figure out a sorta menu for me.
Try to make a research for diabetics meal plans. This could help you :).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am able to eat 'egg beaters' if I want them...They taste just like scrambeled eggs to me. Meats to me at first were considered 'free foods' as Veggies are.
If a person is having really high numbers then they do have to be very careful about what they eat. I started with the counting carbs, and the meats have protein in them....Although I tend to stick to chicken and fish. I pretty much eat what I want, just ALOT smaller portions. I do however stay away from pasta...Thats the one thing that does shoot my numbers thru the roof...even a small amount.
I think we just have to find what works for us as an individual. Diabetics can be some of the most healthy people out there !
STRIKER

·
Registered
6 Posts
3 eggs? I hope thats 3 a day! Where in the world are you getting your info? Eggs are a diabetics friend, packed with nutrition and almost carb free.
Be well
Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts