The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there has been a television ad for Novolog, and one of the talking points the makes is that this insulin should be taken within ten minutes of your meal, because it is a fast acting insulin!

Well, I'm aware of it being a fast acting insulin, BUT my endo's nurse instructed me to take it 15 to 20 minutes before a meal.

If the ad info is correct, it would account for the numerous low's, I have been experiencing following meals, SO, what have you (who use Novolog) found is the best waiting period after injecting this insulin? Should we wait for 20 minutes, or is it better to eat within 10 minutes of taking the pre-meal injection?

Thanks for your help.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Paul,

When I started Novolog (recently switched to Humalog), my nurse educator showed me a study that shows it takes about 20 minutes for the Novolog to ramp up in your system. She also happens to be Type 1 herself and said to always take it 20-30 minutes pre-meal.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Paul,

When I started Novolog (recently switched to Humalog), my nurse educator showed me a study that shows it takes about 20 minutes for the Novolog to ramp up in your system. She also happens to be Type 1 herself and said to always take it 20-30 minutes pre-meal.

Thanks,

Jeremy
I do my Novolog 15 to 30 minutes prior to meals.

Jen

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I take mine 5-10 miutes before I eat...but I tend to be a slow eater. I am not really sure that 5 or 10 minutes would make that much difference would it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
onaughmae said:
I take mine 5-10 miutes before I eat...but I tend to be a slow eater. I am not really sure that 5 or 10 minutes would make that much difference would it?
Well, the way it was explained to me is to think of it as a ramp. It hits the system within 5 min, but takes 20-30 to be at a level to balance the carbs you take in at a meal. Carbs hit us VERY quickly (hits the top of the ramp faster than our insulin injection) so you want the insulin to be closer to it's peak to match the carbs, otherwise you have a higher level of carbs coming in than insulin to balance it out. Hope that makes sense.

- Jeremy

·
Registered
18 Posts
So if I'm having a no-carb salad and it takes me 10 minutes to eat it and then I have a meat and starch and veggie meal that follows that takes 10 minutes to eat, I should take insulin before the salad? after the salad? Taking a meter reading 2 hrs after eating (starting or finishing) seems pointless.

I'm thinking of trying over a week or two taking insulin 5,10, 15, 20 and 30 minutes before carb intake and testing post every 10 minutes up to two hours. Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Registered
930 Posts
and my guess is:

HFCS: 30 minutes before eating

sucrose: 15 minutes before eating

beans: take after you start eating

people that say that HFCS is similar to sucrose are either ignorant or lying, HFCS requires no digestion at all and hits immediately whereas sucrose requires hydrochloric acid digestion and is limited by the acid available

ColaJim

Recently there has been a television ad for Novolog, and one of the talking points the makes is that this insulin should be taken within ten minutes of your meal, because it is a fast acting insulin!

Well, I'm aware of it being a fast acting insulin, BUT my endo's nurse instructed me to take it 15 to 20 minutes before a meal.

If the ad info is correct, it would account for the numerous low's, I have been experiencing following meals, SO, what have you (who use Novolog) found is the best waiting period after injecting this insulin? Should we wait for 20 minutes, or is it better to eat within 10 minutes of taking the pre-meal injection?

Thanks for your help.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to All of You!

All of you have given valuable information, and I agree, it is depending on what you BS are before the meal, and what you are eating. It helps me to know that I'm doing things close to what others are doing, so thanks for being here for me, and all the other memebers!;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
So if I'm having a no-carb salad and it takes me 10 minutes to eat it and then I have a meat and starch and veggie meal that follows that takes 10 minutes to eat, I should take insulin before the salad? after the salad? Taking a meter reading 2 hrs after eating (starting or finishing) seems pointless.

I'm thinking of trying over a week or two taking insulin 5,10, 15, 20 and 30 minutes before carb intake and testing post every 10 minutes up to two hours. Has anyone ever tried this?
Yes - when I was trying to find the optimal breakfast I tested and injected 20 minutes before eating, then tested every 15 minutes for 3 hours after starting the meal. I found that virtually all the blood sugar increase occured in the first 45 to 60 minutes, followed by a relatively steep decline by 90 minutes, then a gradual return to baseline over the next 90 minutes. I eventually decided that 20 minute intervals was fine for testing various foods, AND it saves a lot of strips :D.

Jen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts