The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced having a numb fingers, mostly the ring and little finger during night time or upon waking up in the morning? This normally happens to me when my arms are bent while sleeping. If so, what have you done or what was done for you to get this fixed?

·
Registered
118 Posts
This due to tight muscles in your shoulder blade area (rhomboids).

I would recommend a good therapeutic massages combined with hot baths with Epsom salt and then apply an arnica based ointment to penetrate and unlodge the tightness in the muscles.

If you cannot tell, I am a massage therapist. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Has anyone experienced having a numb fingers, mostly the ring and little finger during night time or upon waking up in the morning? This normally happens to me when my arms are bent while sleeping. If so, what have you done or what was done for you to get this fixed?
That was happening to me most nights a few months ago. What helped me was to start out sleeping on my back instead of my side. I also make sure to relax my hands, instead of gripping the sheets or clenching them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was happening to me most nights a few months ago. What helped me was to start out sleeping on my back instead of my side. I also make sure to relax my hands, instead of gripping the sheets or clenching them.

did you get it tested for anything? like carpal tunnel or ulnar nerve entrapment? did you see a doctor for it?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I didn't get tested for anything. Since I am typing over 14 hours a day I figured it was from that. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had the same problem with my ring and little finger falling asleep, so I looked it up on the web and when I saw that sometimes you can wake it up and sometimes it becomes permanent, it scared me enough to send me to the doctor. He said there are nerves that run through the elbow down into the fingers. He told me not to lean my elbows on tables, not to sleep on my arms or hands and not to bend my elbows when I sleep at night. After doing those things, I haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem with my ring and little finger falling asleep, so I looked it up on the web and when I saw that sometimes you can wake it up and sometimes it becomes permanent, it scared me enough to send me to the doctor. He said there are nerves that run through the elbow down into the fingers. He told me not to lean my elbows on tables, not to sleep on my arms or hands and not to bend my elbows when I sleep at night. After doing those things, I haven't had a problem with it.

thank you.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
One nerve supplies the outer 1.5 fingers, and one the inner (thumb thru 1/2 of ring finger). Perhaps that mysterious division is why the ring finger is designated as such ... anyhow: When I am not typing (and I check this forum > 4x per day) my hobby is ... sock knitting! On little bitty size 1 and 0 needles.

So I often wake up with one side -- or the other -- of my right hand numb, much of the time, especially if I am on vacation or otherwise on a knitting jag! Personally I have mentioned it to my internist, but am not ready to go through the rigmarole testing yet.

It really is to your advantage to avoid it worsening to the point of getting carpal tunnel surgery ... but also, not to put it off TOO long -- or you can have permanent damage. The over-the-counter wrist braces help, too ... (not that I could knit in one!). A keyboard wrist rest may also help. Try changing your ergonomics, first.

CTS and other peripheral nerve problems are more common in diabetes, but there is plenty you can do to put it off, especially in the early stages. There are plenty of aggravating factors -- such as the keyboarding, handwork, etc., that you can deal with before blaming it entirely on diabetes!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One nerve supplies the outer 1.5 fingers, and one the inner (thumb thru 1/2 of ring finger). Perhaps that mysterious division is why the ring finger is designated as such ... anyhow: When I am not typing (and I check this forum > 4x per day) my hobby is ... sock knitting! On little bitty size 1 and 0 needles.

So I often wake up with one side -- or the other -- of my right hand numb, much of the time, especially if I am on vacation or otherwise on a knitting jag! Personally I have mentioned it to my internist, but am not ready to go through the rigmarole testing yet.

It really is to your advantage to avoid it worsening to the point of getting carpal tunnel surgery ... but also, not to put it off TOO long -- or you can have permanent damage. The over-the-counter wrist braces help, too ... (not that I could knit in one!). A keyboard wrist rest may also help. Try changing your ergonomics, first.

CTS and other peripheral nerve problems are more common in diabetes, but there is plenty you can do to put it off, especially in the early stages. There are plenty of aggravating factors -- such as the keyboarding, handwork, etc., that you can deal with before blaming it entirely on diabetes!
i'll ask my doctor about it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Be careful . .. sometimes asking gets you tracked toward consulting a surgeon. Look up some solutions, online, first.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I recently had problems with my hands and arms going so numb I thought they were dead upon waking up. The tingling in my fingertips continued and I thought it was related to carpal tunnel syndrome (I suffered from this many years ago). I used to wear a wrist brace while I slept and that helped back then, however this was different. I was also experiencing discomfort in my neck/shoulder area, so I went to my chiropractor thinking I just needed adjusting. He sent me for an MRI and found that I have two herniated discs in my cervical area. I am now getting decompression therapy for the herniations and I get adjusted once or twice per week to help keep the discomfort down. I have a bad habit of sleeping with my arms above my shoulder level when I sleep, and many times awake with my pillow in a death grip. Must be stress and anxiety while I sleep that causes me to do this. In any case I do try to adjust my sleeping positions, however I always end up in the same position (must be what is most comfortable for me) without knowing. Can't help what I do when I'm asleep. I would try to change your position to begin with, and if that doesn't help perhaps a massage therapist or chiropractor could help with the discomfort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get this and I don't believe it is related to my diabetes. Blood glucose levels don't seem to be a factor. I am a data analyst, so I am on the keyboard alot. I also lean on my elbows, when I drive my arm is against the door, etc. I sleep on my side (mostly because our son is still sneaking in our bed at night and I'm balancing on the edge of the bed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts