The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Forum Folks-

I am fairly new to the Forum, having joined last spring. I am a 54-year-old male, diagnosed with Type 2 for about five years or so. Currently on Janumet 1000 mg/50 mg twice a day. Until the last two months or so, my BG numbers were been pretty much under control--aveaging around 120-125 mornings (fasting) and, actually, lower after lunch or dinner (post-Prandial): <150.

Recently, however, I have begun to get significantly higher numbers for my morning "sticks:" 130s, 140s, and now in the 160s and 170s. The few times I have checked my PP numbers, they have been in the normal range. Needless to say, I am concerned, and I will definitely make this the first issue to cover with my internist when I see him for my regular appointment next week. Diet has not changed significantly; exercise sessions, alas, have occurred few and far between.

Any thoughts/impressions would be welcome.

Thanks all!

-Angie

B

·
0 Posts
Since your PP numbers remain the same it sounds like your phase 1 insulin response to meals remains unaffected, so far. You might include a brisk walk for 20 minutes for the next few days and see if that quiets your morning liver dumps. You may not see a change for a few days. If it does lower your FBG...you've found your culprit. If it doesn't...keep up the walks, it's about time you got back into an exercise regimen anyway!

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome back, Andy . . . I'm experiencing the same "creep" of fbg, and have decided to ask my doc about going on basal insulin. My fbg is often my highest reading of the day & it irks me!

Keep us posted on any developments at your appointment next week . . .

B

·
0 Posts
I'm experiencing the same "creep" of fbg, and have decided to ask my doc about going on basal insulin.
I'd be interested in what your personal choice will be should you and doctor decided to test drive this...and your reasoning. I respect your opinions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since your PP numbers remain the same it sounds like your phase 1 insulin response to meals remains unaffected, so far. You might include a brisk walk for 20 minutes for the next few days and see if that quiets your morning liver dumps. You may not see a change for a few days. If it does lower your FBG...you've found your culprit. If it doesn't...keep up the walks, it's about time you got back into an exercise regimen anyway!

Good luck! :)
Bountyman-

Thanks for the advice, and the admonishment to resume exercise. In the past, I was amazed how quickly my BG numbers fell with a little exertion. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Best,

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome back, Andy . . . I'm experiencing the same "creep" of fbg, and have decided to ask my doc about going on basal insulin. My fbg is often my highest reading of the day & it irks me!

Keep us posted on any developments at your appointment next week . . .
Hi, Shanny-

Thanks for the "welcome back" to the Forum, and for your comments. I'll let folks know how this progresses. The longer I have diabetes, the more I realize that vigilance is not preferable, it is mandatory!

Best,

Andy

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, Shanny-

Thanks for the "welcome back" to the Forum, and for your comments. I'll let folks know how this progresses. The longer I have diabetes, the more I realize that vigilance is not preferable, it is mandatory!

Best,

Andy
You got THAT right! If I knew how to make those words blink and glow, I'd do it! heheh! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, and the admonishment to resume exercise.
You're most welcome, Andy. Sorry about the "admonishment" part, I tend to do that (old Marine DI). That attitude is about to get me kicked off a similar forum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Shanny, Bountyman, and everyone-

Just wanted to report back that since last October (my last post) I have lost 25 pounds, lowered my A1C to 6.1, reduced average fasting glucose between 95-99, and dropped two pants sizes! I am also taking a reduced dose of Metformin, my only diabetes-related medication (850 mg 2X day, down from 1000mg, same dosing frequency).

I'm eating smarter, trying to exercise (I walk in the evenings whenever I can). As a heart patient (no heart attacks but one coronary stent), I realize the connection between Type 2 and heart problems makes it doubly important to get a handle on things.

Thanks in particular to Shanny and Bountyman for their encouragement and advice. I aim to stay on the (fairly) straight and narrow for as long as possible.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Best to all for 2011!

-Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts