The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day, I was in a hurry to get to a medical appointment, so I missed breakfast (something I rarely do). I checked my fasting number on the way to the doctor and my BS was 75.

I ate lunch at the normal time, and my BS tested at 91. Because of what I was eating, I took nine units of Novolog.

When I went to test prior to eating dinner, I nearly fell over when the meter showed my BS at 248. I thought :eek: that was an error, so I rewashed my hands, replaced the stick pin, and the meter had me at 242. :whistle:

Does anyone know why this may have happened, and has it happened to you? Was it a result of missing breakfast and not taking insulin for breakfast, or is this some other phenomenon that I've never seen before the other day?

I am definitely open for any explanations, suggestions and feedback that might help me to avoid such a high BS should this happen (missing a meal) again!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sounds like you ate something that you shouldn't

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A few possibilities come to mind:

-- Was the missed dose your basal (long-lasting) insulin? That could well be your problem! No underlying insulin to cover lunch.

-- If you don't use basal, have you ever skipped a dose plus breakfast, sometime in the past?

The closest thing I've experienced to this was when, in an effort to "waste not," I kept on using my basal insulin well past its expiration date. Aahhhh, good times! My fingers still prickle at the memory.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What did you eat for lunch that day? Was it a lunch with high carb content? What is your insulin to carb ratio for lunch time? I can skip breakfast or lunch and "sometimes" get by with it, other times I can't. I am on an insulin pump and supposedly one can skip a meal, but sometimes I think the body has other ideas about missed meals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts