The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me understand this. I'm a T2. I just took my blood sugar reading and it was 145. I had breakfast at 5:00AM, had about 8 grams of carbs at 9:00AM, and at 11:53AM I'm at 145. What is going on?

When I get home tonight, my pre-dinner reading will be <80, and my pre-bed reading will probably be <70. I was 96 when I got up this morning.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, Suds . . . just click the Search button on the navigation bar above, and run a search for DAWN PHENOMENON . . . you'll find oodles of information, as well as the frustration many of us have with this aggravating effect!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Please help me understand this. I'm a T2. I just took my blood sugar reading and it was 145. I had breakfast at 5:00AM, had about 8 grams of carbs at 9:00AM, and at 11:53AM I'm at 145. What is going on?

When I get home tonight, my pre-dinner reading will be <80, and my pre-bed reading will probably be <70. I was 96 when I got up this morning.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
More than likely whatever you ate at 0900hrs was too little, too late. I need to eat every 3-3.5 hours or my liver will secrete more glucose into my system. You may have similar issues.

Your pre-bed reading is a little low too if your body reacts like mine, you're easily going to be higher upon waking if you go to bed at a 70.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Our diabetic bodies are just wierd. We have a fine balance between glucose and insulin. Usually the earlier I wake up the lower my reading. If I sleep in an hour or two my bg goes up as much as 20-30 points. If I don't eat something within 30 minutes of waking my bgs go up. If I go too long without food I will spike too. If I exercise more than 30 minutes I spike. So I plan my meals, snacks and exercise to try to avoid these spikes. Are you on any oral meds or insulin. I found taking metformin has helped me avoid many of these spikes. I take one 850 as soon as I wake up and another around 10:30 am. If I miss that 10:30 dose I will spike around 11-12:00. I take the last dose right before bed at night. The metformin works in the liver to stop the liver from converting stored glycogen into glucose. It is so much fun being a diabetic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts