The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since being put on daytime insulin (2 weeks) - I am waking up with numbness in both hands... with my right actually being quite painful throughout the day.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you need to make sure it's not diabetic neuropathy - get yourself checked out or use a Medipin at home to keep a check on the level of the numbness

·
Registered
16 Posts
If this just showed up after you started insulin it sounds like there is a good chance it is TIND (Treatment Induced Neuropathy in Diabetes). Something I experienced myself after starting insulin.

Simply put, it is caused by the rapid change in your blood sugar levels caused by the introduction of insulin. Essentially you have been living with a body chemistry that is outside of the normal range. Now you are taking steps to bring it into the normal range and your body is not happy about the change (you're basically going through withdrawal). I would recommend that you look this information up for yourself and talk to your doctor about it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I got this as well. Let your doctor's office know. If the numbness doesn't improve after a certain time, they may choose to switch you to a different insulin. In my case, it got better so no change necessary.

Keep in mind that there can be other issues involved. Doc checked for carpel tunnel, which can show up when you have a sudden change in blood sugars.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
SugarFreeMe,

you posted this a few months ago. Let us know what the diagnosis was and if the symptoms went away.

sharing your experience is important for the members who might also have the same symptoms in the same situation and your story can help them.

please come back and let us know
:vs_cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts