The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few weeks I started feeling numbness in my lower left leg and arm and generally the left side of my body. Don't notice any disscoloration. I would go to a doctor but I'm laid off and have no health insurance. A few months back I was disqualified from a medical study because they said my glucose was 115 fasting. Comments or suggestions? Thank You

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi! Do you have any income based clinics near you? They are not always the best, but you DO NOT need to mess around with anything involving just one side of the body. You might end up having to do the ER thing, they can't refuse to see you even without insurance. Believe me, I've been there. I just paid them as much as I could each month. Something has to be causing these symptoms. By the way, how old are you?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tom, I agree with MinisMom - see if you can't get into a free or needs-based clinic. The numbness could be any number of things that should NOT be ignored, particularly since it affects only one side of your body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'll check out those clinics today. I'm 53 and not overweight at all. As a matter of fact I feel fine except for those symptoms. I heard that diabetics sometimes get nerve damage in the extemities and thought this is what could be occuring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just got back from the clinic and the Doc says I didn't have a stroke. All things checked out fine. They took a blood sample and we'll see what that reveals.

I don't know why but I thought a doctor visit was going to be through the roof and was only a $30 co-pay including the blood work. Might be the best thirty bucks I ever spent.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's a major relief - both the diagnosis and the payment! As for being the best money you ever spent - peace-of-mind is truly priceless, isn't it? :)

Am interested now in what your blood work will turn up. Keep us posted, okay?

Oh - and Tom? You're in Missouri? I'm about halfway between Springfield & St. Louis - northern end of the Ozarks. You anywhere nearby?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in O'Fallon. I have family in Hartville (Wright County) and the KC area. I'll keep you posted on the blood work. Thanks again for the recommendation on the clinics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got the results back from my blood work and they state I'm not diabetic. My non-fasting glucose was 136 and hemogloban A1C was 5.5. Not sure what A1C is but they claim it's a more accurate indicator of diabetes and that 5.5 is perfect.

I still have the numbness on the left side of my body. Left foot in particular but I guess I can rule out diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The A1c measures how much glucose has attached itself to your hemoglobin - the protein molecule in red blood cells. And since the average life span of a red blood cell is about 90 days, this test can tell what your average glucose level has been over the last roughly ninety days. Cool test, eh? :)

It's sure good to know you aren't diabetic! Hope you can get to the bottom of the numbness business . . .

take care.

Oh! About Hartville - we live on a bluff right above the Gasconade River, which has its headwaters at Hartville. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is good to know I'm not diabetic as of now. My father had the disease so I'll absolutley keep tabs on my blood sugar. Regarding the numbness..the next thing they want to do is a cat scan.

Living on a bluff overlooking the Gasconade.....that has to be beautiful!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi, glad blood work came back okay. The numbness still bothers me. By any chance have you had any unusual insect bites/stings? The reason I ask is because about 5 years ago I had a strange reaction to a bite. I was climbing onto the tractor and something ran up my left arm and bit/stung me on the elbow. I wasn't really concerned, just had a whelp pop up, but no pain. After bushhogging for about an hour the left side of my face starting feeling funny, kind of numb or swollen. A few minutes later my left arm and leg both began to feel the same way, my leg was visibly swollen. I started getting kind of worried, so I called a friend who was babysitting for a doctor (how handy), the doctors first reaction was that the bite had somehow hit a nerve and wanted me to go to the ER, I had no insurance and refused to go. Next morning everything seems fine. Never told another doctor about it even after getting insurance, to this day I still have bouts of numbness/swelling/weakness in my face and arm. Never figured it out. The bite took forever to heal. Take time and check yourself over for a bite, think back, do you remember being bitten by anything. Research insect bites/stings abd see if any of them fit your symptoms. Even though you aren't a diabetic, keep in touch and let us know what's going on.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks MM. The only insect bite I'm aware of are a few chigger bites I got fishing the other day. Never had any kind of reacton before. I'll do some research on it though. If I do sort this out I'll let you know what I found out. Thanks:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts