The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Help. I have been told by one doc I was Glucose intolerent and that I was not by another doctor. I do not have excessive hunger or lack of appetite I am not thirsty. What I do have is extremities go numb easliy and quicly...like if my hand is on the mouse long my hand and arm goes numb etc. I will wake up with numbness in hands. I also wake in the mornings with nausea, racing heart and pins and needles or boiling blood rushing through my veins. I have had the racing heart and blood thing for years and was told it was anxiety attacks so I have been on antidepressants for 13 years. So now I am confused if this is depression which is getting worse or type 2 diabetes. I am overweight. I am exercising evryday now and on a low carb diet but no metformin. All I want to know is which of these above symptoms sounds like diabetes? Thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please Help. I have been told by one doc I was Glucose intolerent and that I was not by another doctor. I do not have excessive hunger or lack of appetite I am not thirsty. What I do have is extremities go numb easliy and quicly...like if my hand is on the mouse long my hand and arm goes numb etc. I will wake up with numbness in hands. I also wake in the mornings with nausea, racing heart and pins and needles or boiling blood rushing through my veins. I have had the racing heart and blood thing for years and was told it was anxiety attacks so I have been on antidepressants for 13 years. So now I am confused if this is depression which is getting worse or type 2 diabetes. I am overweight. I am exercising evryday now and on a low carb diet but no metformin. All I want to know is which of these above symptoms sounds like diabetes? Thank you.
I hate to sound like a smart A$$ but you need to talk to your dr about the problems that you're having. Set up a visit and describe your symptoms to him.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I agree with 4x5, you should see a doctor. Most of your symptoms could result from diabetes but there are other possible explanations as well. Let the doctor decide after blood tests, etc. Am endocrinologist is a good choice of doctor since you are concerned about diabetes.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input

Dear Richard,
I did not make myself very clear in my post. I have been to an ENDO for a tolerance test. He said I do not have Diabetes but I am Glucose intolerant/Borderline Diabetes and wants to start me on Metformin. My general practitioner may need to re-do a test because he doesn't believe it since my sugar levels are always good on blood tests. I believe the Endo and will probably change general doc soon. I am pretty sure these symptoms are night terror/anxiety attacks but I just wanted to find out if anyone with diabetes or Glucose Intolerance had felt these symptoms. Thanks again. Tammy:)

J

·
0 Posts
Dear Richard,
I did not make myself very clear in my post. I have been to an ENDO for a tolerance test. He said I do not have Diabetes but I am Glucose intolerant/Borderline Diabetes and wants to start me on Metformin. My general practitioner may need to re-do a test because he doesn't believe it since my sugar levels are always good on blood tests. I believe the Endo and will probably change general doc soon. I am pretty sure these symptoms are night terror/anxiety attacks but I just wanted to find out if anyone with diabetes or Glucose Intolerance had felt these symptoms. Thanks again. Tammy:)
I'd believe the endo when it comes to glucose intolerance, they specialize, where your GP, as good as he/she may be doesn't.

Welcome to the board. Feel free to ask anything here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too have several of those symptons....... hand and fingerd go to sleep while on the mouse; waking up with my arm asleep. I say my doctor on yesterday but he didn't seem to think it was a problem because my #s all look good. I don't take meds only a low dose aspirin daily. I work out min 3 times a week and try to watch what I eat staying between 45-60 carbs per meals but still I can't loose any weight. I was concerned the numbness had something to do with my heart but all test say no. I'm so confused. :confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I too have several of those symptons....... hand and fingerd go to sleep while on the mouse; waking up with my arm asleep. I say my doctor on yesterday but he didn't seem to think it was a problem because my #s all look good. I don't take meds only a low dose aspirin daily. I work out min 3 times a week and try to watch what I eat staying between 45-60 carbs per meals but still I can't loose any weight. I was concerned the numbness had something to do with my heart but all test say no. I'm so confused. :confused:
I had similar symptoms 5 or 6 years before my diagnosis. I thought it was from sleeping in a wierd position or working out too hard. Once I was dx'd and started to test a lot I realised my bgs were way too high. Since switching to low carb (10-20 carbs meal) most of the tingling and numbness is gone. No one knows exactly where damage begins so I am trying to keep bgs as low as possible. It doesn't matter what the doctor calls your disease. If it causes your bgs to spike high after meals you are at risk for nerve damage and neuropathy. The soluion is to test, test and test some more, especially after meals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ok put tell me is there any way to get as low as 10-20 carbs per meal without turning into a vegeterian??? I eat mostly chicken, fish and turkey..... and as much as I love potatoes and rice they are seldom in my diet. Pasta maybe once a month. What else is left to take away???

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
ok put tell me is there any way to get as low as 10-20 carbs per meal without turning into a vegeterian??? I eat mostly chicken, fish and turkey..... and as much as I love potatoes and rice they are seldom in my diet. Pasta maybe once a month. What else is left to take away???
Eat all you want of chicken, fish & turkey - it has very few carbs and yet your body can use it to manufacture glucose just as well as anything else. Do you use dairy products? Protein & fats are a diabetic's best friends, so enjoy eggs & cheese all you want also - and buy full-fat cheeses/cream/butter - if you're buying low-fat products, you're just buying more carbs than were there to start with. The less processing, the better.

I loved potatoes & rice too, but I never eat them now. What I DO eat is meat/poultry/fish, eggs/cheese, nuts, avocados, real cream in my coffee & real butter on my hot veggies. Real mayonnaise on my salads & real sour cream wherever I like. By "real" I mean full fat versions. You'll notice a difference & it'll be good. You won't feel deprived & you won't feel hungry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Eat all you want of chicken, fish & turkey - it has very few carbs and yet your body can use it to manufacture glucose just as well as anything else. Do you use dairy products? Protein & fats are a diabetic's best friends, so enjoy eggs & cheese all you want also - and buy full-fat cheeses/cream/butter - if you're buying low-fat products, you're just buying more carbs than were there to start with. The less processing, the better.

I loved potatoes & rice too, but I never eat them now. What I DO eat is meat/poultry/fish, eggs/cheese, nuts, avocados, real cream in my coffee & real butter on my hot veggies. Real mayonnaise on my salads & real sour cream wherever I like. By "real" I mean full fat versions. You'll notice a difference & it'll be good. You won't feel deprived & you won't feel hungry.
Thank you! I will certainly try this. I want to get this right and I really do believe you often times get better advice from one who knows from experience than you do from some one who learned it out of a book.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I probably eat at least 2000+ calories a day. Believe me I don't starve. Things like bacon & eggs or sausage, bunless bacon cheese burgers, chicken parmesan made with almond meal instead of flour, free range beef stew with butternut squash and sweet potatoes, steak with grilled mushrooms. All the veggies you can eat are fine. I only eat Sprouted Grain bread because it doesn not spike me, so I can still eat sandwiches. Some people find lower carb bread or low carb tortillas to make wrap. I eat beans, so I can eat chillis with lots of beef, veggies and lots of spice. I even eat dessert. This morning I made a double batch of my own peanut butter cookies with no sugar or flour. They do not spike me at all. I also made a double batch of homemade Nacho chips similar in taste to Doritoes, again made with almond meal and flaxseed and cheese instead of flour. Again no spike. People always assume those of us who practice low carb must be eating rabbit food- far from it. Check out these low carb recipe sites

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

·
Registered
102 Posts
I probably eat at least 2000+ calories a day. Believe me I don't starve. Things like bacon & eggs or sausage, bunless bacon cheese burgers, chicken parmesan made with almond meal instead of flour, free range beef stew with butternut squash and sweet potatoes, steak with grilled mushrooms. All the veggies you can eat are fine. I only eat Sprouted Grain bread because it doesn not spike me, so I can still eat sandwiches. Some people find lower carb bread or low carb tortillas to make wrap. I eat beans, so I can eat chillis with lots of beef, veggies and lots of spice. I even eat dessert. This morning I made a double batch of my own peanut butter cookies with no sugar or flour. They do not spike me at all. I also made a double batch of homemade Nacho chips similar in taste to Doritoes, again made with almond meal and flaxseed and cheese instead of flour. Again no spike. People always assume those of us who practice low carb must be eating rabbit food- far from it. Check out these low carb recipe sites

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets
Wow! Thank you.......... this is great! I will definitely be visiting these sites. Thank you so much for the links and the tips:boom:

·
Registered
6 Posts
coconut oil

I have read in many threads about coconut oil..3T means 3 tablespoons...right...Which coconut oil?...What are the benefits of it for a Diabetic?

I had similar symptoms 5 or 6 years before my diagnosis. I thought it was from sleeping in a wierd position or working out too hard. Once I was dx'd and started to test a lot I realised my bgs were way too high. Since switching to low carb (10-20 carbs meal) most of the tingling and numbness is gone. No one knows exactly where damage begins so I am trying to keep bgs as low as possible. It doesn't matter what the doctor calls your disease. If it causes your bgs to spike high after meals you are at risk for nerve damage and neuropathy. The soluion is to test, test and test some more, especially after meals.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Princess

This may be a slightly sarcastic reply but:

Virgin cold pressed coconut oil is one half MCT ( medium-chain-triglyceride ) which provides instant energy like sugar but does not require a functional insulin response to work, diabetics love it, and one half is a heavy fat that is quite sedating, great for for anxious people.

It has an effect similar to eating a greasy donut. :D

It is great for cooking/frying because it does not break down and cause carcinogens and fee radicals like most other vegetable oils.

It is all saturated fat so it can't go rancid unlike most other vegetable oils.

In studies, Big Pharma hydrogenates (toxifies) it first to "prove" it is a worthless substance.

ColaJim

I have read in many threads about coconut oil..3T means 3 tablespoons...right...Which coconut oil?...What are the benefits of it for a Diabetic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coconut oil

Thanks for the information...again my question...how do you incorporate it in your daily diet..Cooking or eating on salads or Is it in a capsule form?

This may be a slightly sarcastic reply but:

Virgin cold pressed coconut oil is one half MCT ( medium-chain-triglyceride ) which provides instant energy like sugar but does not require a functional insulin response to work, diabetics love it, and one half is a heavy fat that is quite sedating, great for for anxious people.

It has an effect similar to eating a greasy donut. :D

It is great for cooking/frying because it does not break down and cause carcinogens and fee radicals like most other vegetable oils.

It is all saturated fat so it can't go rancid unlike most other vegetable oils.

In studies, Big Pharma hydrogenates (toxifies) it first to "prove" it is a worthless substance.

ColaJim

·
Registered
930 Posts
Princess

Thanks for the information...again my question...how do you incorporate it in your daily diet..Cooking or eating on salads or Is it in a capsule form?
I mostly just cook/fry with it. I buy and use the MCT part separately to add to almost any thing.

ColaJim

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It comes in a jar & it's solid at room temperature. I use it just like I do butter - cook with it, spread it on WASA or GG crackers & I stir it into my hot coffee once in awhile (if you've ever had hot buttered rum, this is akin to that).

·
Registered
930 Posts
tchumard

tchumard:

I was on antidepressants when I finally got type 2 diabetes. When I read up on the side effects of antidepressants I found that some of them can cause diabetes themselves!

ColaJim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts