The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5,404 Posts
You got some great suggestions!

If I was still concerned, I'd consider seeking a second opinion from a different endo, if that is available to me.

It might also be a good idea to purchase a meter and some strips to test your own glucose levels (sometimes freebie offers are available online).

Best of luck to you!

· Registered
3 Posts
Pins and Needles

I woke this AM with pins and needles all down the right side of my face and body (to my feet). I suspected a slight stroke, but the more I think about it, the more I think it is diabetic symptoms. I have had the numbness and tingling previously, but not to that extent. My fasting bgs run around 120-130. Just had a checkup at the VA Hospital, and the Dr. said everything was good. The VA is over 1hr away, so I don't want to go to ER if it isn't necessary. And I don't want to frighten my wife. I have no other symtoms. Am I being too alarmed?

· Registered
930 Posts
Be aware that I am very anti VA and their medical malpractice. The only good things I can say about them is that I could call in prescription refills using my touch tone phone keys night or day and their free extensive lab tests were excellent.

These days there are some old burned out incompetent doctors still there but with US gov. creating wars just to make the cartels richer there is a need for cheap pseudo doctors that the VA is using to cover the recent war casualties. So be afraid, be very afraid of VA so called doctors. Although for blood clots about all they will do that I know of is to tell you to take a baby aspirin. They may use heparin in some cases though.

I now have Medicare with A, B, & D at my own expense so I do not like to associate myself with the VA but it might be necessary if I needed an operation.

Try to find a real doctor and good luck!

ColaJim

I woke this AM with pins and needles all down the right side of my face and body (to my feet). I suspected a slight stroke, but the more I think about it, the more I think it is diabetic symptoms. I have had the numbness and tingling previously, but not to that extent. My fasting bgs run around 120-130. Just had a checkup at the VA Hospital, and the Dr. said everything was good. The VA is over 1hr away, so I don't want to go to ER if it isn't necessary. And I don't want to frighten my wife. I have no other symtoms. Am I being too alarmed?

· Registered
3 Posts
Be aware that I am very anti VA and their medical malpractice. The only good things I can say about them is that I could call in prescription refills using my touch tone phone keys night or day and their free extensive lab tests were excellent.

These days there are some old burned out incompetent doctors still there but with US gov. creating wars just to make the cartels richer there is a need for cheap pseudo doctors that the VA is using to cover the recent war casualties. So be afraid, be very afraid of VA so called doctors. Although for blood clots about all they will do that I know of is to tell you to take a baby aspirin. They may use heparin in some cases though.

I now have Medicare with A, B, & D at my own expense so I do not like to associate myself with the VA but it might be necessary if I needed an operation.

Try to find a real doctor and good luck!

ColaJim
Hi Colajim:

Sounds like you were in the same war as I. The VA in Palo Alto, CA is very good and they have the latest technology. I had robotic prostrate removal, and recovery was very fast. My GP is very good in Fresno, CA. I must have had the luck of the draw. Perhaps you could register with a diferent GP.

It is true that not all VA Hospitals are the same. Good luck!

· Registered
241 Posts
Neuropathy

I had similar symptoms 5 or 6 years before my diagnosis. I thought it was from sleeping in a wierd position or working out too hard. Once I was dx'd and started to test a lot I realised my bgs were way too high. Since switching to low carb (10-20 carbs meal) most of the tingling and numbness is gone. No one knows exactly where damage begins so I am trying to keep bgs as low as possible. It doesn't matter what the doctor calls your disease. If it causes your bgs to spike high after meals you are at risk for nerve damage and neuropathy. The soluion is to test, test and test some more, especially after meals.
I just recently developed neuropathy in my right foot - does that mean I'm pretty much headed for amputation? So far, the circulation is good - I was just tested for that recently. Also, can neuropathy ever be reversed? Thanks.

· Registered
556 Posts
I was keeping my bg under 140, but was still having tingling in the lower legs, feet and hands. I read somewhere at the bloodsugar101 website that even when bg is in the 120's you can still have Neuropathy, so I started keeping my bg at and below 119 and the numbness went away.

· Registered
8,796 Posts
Rosa, no your foot is fine as long as you keep your BG's down. Most recommend no higher than 140 will be fine. Like Spunky says, it can be reversed, but I have it and it has not improved, but it's not clear that that is what caused it since I first noticed it in the aftermath of a light stroke in '07. In any case, just watch your glucose and it should be fine.

· Registered
241 Posts
Neuropathy

Rosa, no your foot is fine as long as you keep your BG's down. Most recommend no higher than 140 will be fine. Like Spunky says, it can be reversed, but I have it and it has not improved, but it's not clear that that is what caused it since I first noticed it in the aftermath of a light stroke in '07. In any case, just watch your glucose and it should be fine.
Thanks for the reassurance :) I, too, had strokes - 2 of them - first one at age 58, second one at 59. Thank heavens there was only a very slight weakness in my left hand and I'm right handed. Scared me into quitting smoking though! I'm 66 now.

I also have 3 major problems with my back. Sometimes it's difficult for the doctors to determine what pain comes from where!

Love and peace to you and yours.

· Registered
241 Posts
Neuropathy

I was keeping my bg under 140, but was still having tingling in the lower legs, feet and hands. I read somewhere at the bloodsugar101 website that even when bg is in the 120's you can still have Neuropathy, so I started keeping my bg at and below 119 and the numbness went away.
Thanks for your help. My main problem has been that no matter how high my sugar is, I get zero symptoms. I've had the "thirst" but only a few times. Now, low sugar is another story....

I'm very happy for you that your numbness went away! I'm certainly going to try; I hate this disease - I want a huge piece of choc. cake with cream cheese icing! (No, I'm not gonna do it. :)

You are the nicest bunch of people here! Too sweet we are, huh?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.