The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experiened numbness in their pinky and ring finger? I get it at night when I sleep. It's been about a couple weeks now. This mornnig it has kind of stayed.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes, I get it off and on. I suspect carpal tunnel. If I am not typing, I am knitting.

If it becomes persistent you might want to mention it to your doctor.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read something about an ulnar nerve but I try to not "GOOGLE" too many symptoms though. It gets out of hand when I do. I used to be a cyberchodriac. Now I try to let the doctors take care of the disease and for me to keep perspective.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Has anyone experiened numbness in their pinky and ring finger? I get it at night when I sleep. It's been about a couple weeks now. This mornnig it has kind of stayed.
I don't know if it is related but I keep waking with pins and needles in my lower right arm the past few weeks. Takes a bit of time for it to come back to life but it has so far...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your pinky and ring finger? Or whole hand?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If I sleep in a wierd position I will get that. Sometimes if I am doing a lot of yard work like weeding, I will wake up the next day with certain fingers numb. But it usually disappears in a few days.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have had numbness and tingling in the ring and pinky fingers of my left hand since May 2011. I fell a couple of days before it started. When I went to my doctor he tested me for a lot of things that could cause it--B12 deficiency, thyroid issues and diabetes are the ones I remember. That is when I was officially diagnosed as diabetic. He decided it could be neuropathy or carpal tunnel and put me in a carpal tunnel brace for a month.
He finally sent me to a neurologist who diagnosed it as a bruised nerve and put me in an elbow pad. It is better but hasn't completely stopped since it started in May. I sleep with my arm/elbow under my pillow and had woken up with some tingling and numbness before, but it had always gone away after I woke up and shook it out. I'll see him again in a couple of months and he has mentioned the possibility of surgery if it hasn't improved by then. :eek:
If it is the ring and pinky finger it is not carpal tunnel. The ulnar nerve affects the pinky finger and the side of your ring finger that faces it. One side of my ring finger is numb and the other side is not.
Hope yours is much better by now!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have the same thing happen to me on occasion and once, two fingers remained numb for a few says before returning to normal. I mentioned it to my doc since I was new to D and thought it might be early neuropathy but he said that if it was neuropathy, then I wouldn't have any feeling whatsoever. The simple fact that I felt numbness meant it was something else...likely one of the other things already mentioned here.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I have a doc appt coming up and I will be sure to mention it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just my two cents as a massage therapist, I have the same feeling and it is usually from having muscles tensions (knots) around my shoulder blade area, I would definitely consult a massage therapist and have that checked out. This could be also due to your fall and damaging some muscles or tissues in this same area.

I hope that this could help

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I would sometimes wake up with numb fingers on either hand, and it was getting more difficult and taking longer to wake them up, so I looked on the web for others having the same problem and I learned that people can sometimes wake their fingers up in the morning, but there are cases where they never wake up. The main thing is to keep it from happening in the first place.

The secret is to sleep without bending your elbows, and don't sleep on your arms or hands. It works. Some sleep on their back with their arms at their sides. I can't sleep on my back, so I keep a chair next to the bed with a spare pillow on it so I can rest my arm on it when I am laying on my left side. You can figure out positions that work for you and see if that solves the problem, I believe it will. It sure worked for me.

I'll see him again in a couple of months and he has mentioned the possibility of surgery if it hasn't improved by then.
All that numbness stuff happened first, then I bumped my crazy bone on Mr. Gizmo's stupid table saw and damaged my ulnar nerve which caused my pinkey and ring finger on the left hand to go numb and stay that way. The sports doc told me to wear an elbow pad, said not to rest my elbows on tables, and on my own I made sure I didn't bend my elbows at night. It took over a year, but the numbness finally went away. It sometimes takes quite a while for nerves to heal, but it felt so good to be rid of that stupid elbow pad!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The secret is to sleep without bending your elbows, and don't sleep on your arms or hands. It works. Some sleep on their back with their arms at their sides. I can't sleep on my back, so I keep a chair next to the bed with a spare pillow on it so I can rest my arm on it when I am laying on my left side. You can figure out positions that work for you and see if that solves the problem, I believe it will. It sure worked for me.
This has worked for me too . . . I finally was forced to train myself to sleep on my back so my CPAP would be most effective & I did it by using bedwedges to approximate the contour of a recliner chair (in which I could sleep for HOURS! :rolleyes:). Once I spent a few good nights on the wedges with arms resting at my sides, I realized I was waking in the mornings with no numb or aching arms/hands—in fact, no stiffness/aches/pains ANYwhere! I'm mid-60s - I deserve to have some creaky joints, but not sleeping on my back! I even told doc what a miracle it is! heheh!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts