The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food labels

This may be old news to some of you here as the original article came out in May. *There was a contest to redesign the food labels.*
Project: Redesign the Food Label - Food - GOOD

Here is the link for the entries.
Rethink The Food Label | Nutrition. Conversation. Design.
It's interesting to see what some people think is important.

I cannot find*the link to the winning entry. It was supposed to be chosen on the 15th. *It will be interesting to see what it is and if it gets adopted.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Quite frankly I'm not sure if we need to turn the food insustry upside down redesigning labels. Instead I think you need to teach people how to read labels depending on their health problems. For some calories are imporant, for some fat and for some carbs. One of our local stores redesigned their labels last year and put some things on the front of the package. The only thing they listed was fat, sodium, calories and Sugar. So the listing was misleading, the Sugar might be 0 but when you flip it over on the back you would see 27 carbs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quite frankly I'm not sure if we need to turn the food insustry upside down redesigning labels. Instead I think you need to teach people how to read labels depending on their health problems. For some calories are imporant, for some fat and for some carbs. One of our local stores redesigned their labels last year and put some things on the front of the package. The only thing they listed was fat, sodium, calories and Sugar. So the listing was misleading, the Sugar might be 0 but when you flip it over on the back you would see 27 carbs.
I've had the same problem with 'zero' to minor sugar listed on the front of the package and a large amount of carbs on the back. I think the food industry likes doing this because it is a misleading practice about as genuine in intent as relabeling high fructose corn syrup as 'corn sugar'. Well at least now maybe something loaded with hfcs can't be marketed as 'sugar free'.

I think Michelle Obama just thinks we're too stupid to read the labels we have now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts