The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you cheese crisp addicts have a ballpark figure for these?

I make mine from a slice of round cheese - usually longhorn cheddar or colby, sometimes pepper jack - so it looks about like this: Guessing that a 1-ounce slice of cheese is 120 calories (and my slices may be slightly more than an ounce). If I quarter these rounds to make a dorito-type chip, each quarter would be about 25-30 calories, but how to decide how much fat renders out of them during the crisping process? Wouldn't it be nice to count them as about 10 calories per chip? Whadya think? Get out your calculators for me! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Do any of you cheese crisp addicts have a ballpark figure for these?

I make mine from a slice of round cheese - usually longhorn cheddar or colby, sometimes pepper jack - so it looks about like this: Guessing that a 1-ounce slice of cheese is 120 calories (and my slices may be slightly more than an ounce). If I quarter these rounds to make a dorito-type chip, each quarter would be about 25-30 calories, but how to decide how much fat renders out of them during the crisping process? Wouldn't it be nice to count them as about 10 calories per chip? Whadya think? Get out your calculators for me! :D :D :D
I think 10 calories per chip wouldn't work, more like 30. But does it matter, because it is cheese? :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the cheese itself is 30 calories per chip, but once you bake it, all the fat renders out of it & you even have to cool it on paper towels to absorb the last traces of fat. So considering that most of the calories are from the fat, I can't imagine that the crispied cheese solids have much caloric value. And yes, it matters now that I'm being less lavish with my fat consumption! :D :D :D (and I'm eating TONS of cheese crisps!
)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
This is why I don't count calories anymore. I make mine in the microwave and they do shrink considerably. I guess you could weigh them before and after and try to figure out how much fat comes out.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
ive never counted calories in my life. i am not kidding.

count carbs yes, calories no.

cheese is amazing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I found the cheese crisps well its called Cheese Nibblers in the recipies for diabetics cook book by Billie Little and it says 40 calories per serving.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I found the cheese crisps well its called Cheese Nibblers in the recipies for diabetics cook book by Billie Little and it says 40 calories per serving.
If there are any other ingredients, then it isn't the same thing. Our crisps are simply baked cheese - nothing else added unless you sprinkle in some seeds like flax. etc. They're delicious, nutritious and ZERO-carb.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I actually do mine in the microwave. I cut up the cheese in small squares and place on parchment paper or a coated paper plate. Sprinkle with spices if you want a kick. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes. They get very crispy similar to cheese its.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts