The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fairly local supermarket (meaning it's down on the interstate - not in any of our little rural communities ☺) has begun stocking Walden Farm products! I picked up some strawberry dip a few weeks ago, and tonight when we stopped there, they've added the bottled sauces, syrups, etc. I got the bbq sauce & the strawberry sauce. Yippee!! We're makin' progress out here in the hinterland! :cool:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That is great. The only WF product I can buy locally is the salad dressing and the Caramel and Chocolate Dip. About 3 times a year I put an order into Netrition which reminds me I should do it before the cold, freezing weather. Have you tried their BBQ sauce it is heavenly. I made BBQ pulled pork last weeend and it was soooo good. I am surprised with the number of diabetics out there that local supermarkets don't carry more of these products. We live in a fairly big suburb and our choice is very limited.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
So how does the Walden farms BBQ sauce taste? Is it super fake sweet? Spicy? Close at all to the real thing?

I'm just wondering if it's worth ordering online (I'm not so lucky as Shanny to have it at the store). Right now I a make my own but it ends up tasting more like a spicy tomato sauce than BBQ...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It tastes very similar to normal BBQ sauce. It comes in 3 or 4 levels of spice. I like the Spicey version. I don't need to add very much to my Pork BBQ to flavor it. I also use it instead of ketchup. I tried their ketchup and wasn't impressed. My favorite salad dressing of theirs is the Chipolte Ranch or the Cole Slaw dressing. I also buy their dressing in individual packets which I find useful when travelling or going out to dinner. Then you don't need to question whether a salad dressing has carbs in it. I know I have been fooled many times with restaruants even if a server says it is free of sugar.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I opened the strawberry syrup, but I haven't opened the bbq yet. Mebbe I oughta check the market this weekend & see if they don't have a big pork roast on sale! :cool:

I noticed the cole slaw dressing fer shure, & they may have had the chipolte ranch too. I know they had the catsup & I'll remember your critique, Jeanne! I can get sugar-free catsup at Kroger & we like it okay. Last month they had just a few items on one or two shelves, and they must've had a sellout, because this time the entire end display was WF.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
They used to have more Walden Farms products but I guess they didn't sell very well because they eliminated them. I find Netrition prices cheaper than the stores, but then you have to factor in shipping. So I usually wait until I need a lot. I made French Toast this morning with my Flaxseed English muffin recipe and then used the Strawberry syrup on it. It was yummy. My picky husband even had some and loved it. That is the true test when your husband will eat your low carb creations and want more.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made French Toast this morning with my Flaxseed English muffin recipe and then used the Strawberry syrup on it. It was yummy. My picky husband even had some and loved it. That is the true test when your husband will eat your low carb creations and want more.
I was thinking about pancakes for tomorrow with the strawberry syrup. Prob'ly have to get the blueberry one next time we're in town. :)

And you're absolutely right about husbands' attitudes! heheh!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
A lucky day indeed! I also had a lucky day when I discovered my local grocery store in now carrying a third flavour of LCHF ice cream. They gave always carried vanilla a chocolate but I was getting tired of them. Today, they came out with Caramel flavour. It has a higher carb value as it is low sugar rather than no sugar but at 6g of carbs per 100g, it is still ok. The vanilla has 1.1g/100g while the chocolate has 3.1g/100g.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some reasonable facsimiles . . . :D Some are better than others, so you just have to try 'em & see which ones you like. I'm just getting started, so others here can tell you more about which ones they've found acceptable.

Walden Farms | All Products

1 - 12 of 12 Posts