The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
At that link, they were comparing oatmeal to white rice or bread and saying it was not as big a spike. Well, okaaay ... but that's like saying Brand A rat poison will not kill as quickly as Brand B.

Oatmeal raises blood sugar in nearly all diabetics. The fact it can have a high curve vs a Matterhorn spike still says to me as a diabetic that it's unwise to eat it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At that link, they were comparing oatmeal to white rice or bread and saying it was not as big a spike. Well, okaaay ... but that's like saying Brand A rat poison will not kill as quickly as Brand B.

Oatmeal raises blood sugar in nearly all diabetics. The fact it can have a high curve vs a Matterhorn spike still says to me as a diabetic that it's unwise to eat it.
I agree.
Any idea about Whole-grain barley/rye for diabetic,?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The same goes for other grains too. Grains are just not kind to diabetics. Even the choice between having a small spike and no spike at all . . . no-brainer, right? Especially as regards breakfast, when many of us are more carb-sensitive to begin with, adding carbs to the mix is not a wise choice. My guess is that none of these writers/reporters are diabetic themselves.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The same goes for other grains too. Grains are just not kind to diabetics. Even the choice between having a small spike and no spike at all . . . no-brainer, right? Especially as regards breakfast, when many of us are more carb-sensitive to begin with, adding carbs to the mix is not a wise choice. My guess is that none of these writers/reporters are diabetic themselves.
Thanks Shanny, I got it .
I can see there are lot of misleading information in the internet. we should think manytimes before considering those.

·
Registered
916 Posts
don't believe what you read on the internet from most of those sites. :eek:
I am stunned at what some of them say its ok to eat. when I see grains/rice or oatmeal or WHEAT/flour. Thats the last they see of me.

I have a so called friend who swears that its ok to have rye.aka rye bread. becuz its not wheat flour.

:bolt:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If people insist they need grains, all I can say is test, Test, TEST! If they can reduce their portions until it doesn't cause a spike, more power to them, but once I get started on a loaf of rye bread, there's no stopping me. I dearly LOVED rye bread. :(

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Agreed. When I was first diagnosed I naively thought that oatmeal was healthy. It would easily spike me over 200 though...

Now I simply enjoy leftovers from the previous night, or eggs, cream, bacon, cheese and sausage. None of which spike me over 10 points.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I absolutely loved eating oatmeal for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner. And, of course, was told by dietician and the ADA diet that oatmeal was actually a good choice. Well, obviously it did me absolutely no good because all those "good" grains they promote caused higher and higher bg numbers. I know I cannot eat grains...therefore I just don't. Once in a while I will indulge in a low carb wrap, or a whole grain thin sandwich bun (with coconut oil on it of course) and that will be okay, but just sometimes...not everyday by no means! Follow your meter. It doesn't lie to you.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Like most here, I started off following the doctor's/dietician's recommendations as at according to what here in Sweden is called the "Tallriksmodellen" which, as our own Optimist knows, is also know as "the plate model" consisting of 40% carbs, 40% fibre and 20% protein.

I ate oatmeal everyday and didn't think twice about it since my doc had told me to test once every couple of days and then i would always test my morning fastings so I never caught how high my post prandial numbers were. I love oatmeal but if I started at a 5.2 BG, my 1 hour PP would jump to 12.6 and my 2 hour PP would still be elevated at 11.8. There is no way that oatmeal can still be included in my diet and those same numbers apply to any type of grain whether wheat, rye, oat, rice etc...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before diabetes I was a vegetarian and ate tons of oatmeal. I made the Steele Cut kind that takes forever to cook. So I would make a big pot of it once a week and eat it for breakfast and snacks. I thought I was doing my body good, but I learned the hard way. Of course Oatmeal may be better than white bread but it still spikes many of us, especially those of us not on insulin. So if you want to try it out make sure you test, test and test some more. As far as the other grains pure rye is OK for me but most rye breads are also made with white or wheat flour. I do ok with the Rye Wasa crackers. Other grains like barley, quinoa and bulgar you just have to try it for yourself. I can eat very small amounts (1/4 cup).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The way I get around the cereal grains thing is to break up pecans, walnuts, almonds & whatever other nuts/seeds you enjoy, and use sweetened cream on them. Since many breakfast cereal products include nuts & crunchy nuggets of other stuff, my bowl of nuts & cream seems a lot like breakfast cereal. It sure satisfies my appetite anyhow. I also break up an Optimist cracker or a GG crispbread with it sometimes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think I got this tip from MCS, just put some ground flaxseed in a bowl, add water or cream, cinnamon and some nuts. Microwave just like you would oatmeal. It gives you the same comfort feeling as oatmeal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I absolutely loved eating oatmeal for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner. And, of course, was told by dietician and the ADA diet that oatmeal was actually a good choice. Well, obviously it did me absolutely no good because all those "good" grains they promote caused higher and higher bg numbers. I know I cannot eat grains...therefore I just don't. Once in a while I will indulge in a low carb wrap, or a whole grain thin sandwich bun (with coconut oil on it of course) and that will be okay, but just sometimes...not everyday by no means! Follow your meter. It doesn't lie to you.
mcs's faux cream of wheat recipe is pretty stellar. i've been making that like crazy lately - it hits all the right notes when i just feel like a big warm bowl of comfort breakfast. or snack :)

and it nukes in the microwave. woot :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I like to add ground-up walnuts to my flax/almond meal ... to me, it adds an oatmealish flavor and texture. If I'm feeling lucky, I'll add a tsp. of so of oat flour to enhance the effect (gotta be reeeeal careful with this one).

Just found some oat bran, so will try that next.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts