The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am hoping some experts could shed some light on my situation.

I decided to get a blood sugar meter because I noticed that I am urinating more frequently than normal (I have never been diagnosed with diabetes and don’t take insulin). I have searched this forum and noticed how I should be taking blood sugar readings and here are my results:

Fasting 103
1 hour after a big meal 119
2 hours after meal 92
3 hours after 88

I have taken a few readings and these results are pretty consistent. I don’t have any other symptoms other than going to the restroom more often.
I understand frequent urination could be something other than diabetes, but I know I do need to lose more weight. I’m 44, 6’ and about 240 lbs. I workout 3/4x week and I’ve implemented and intermittently fasting regiment to my diet. Usually the 16/8 but sometimes 17-18 hours without a meal. I don’t get shaky or dizzy. In fact I feel much better since I started IF.

I’m wondering why my fasting blood sugars are in the low end of the pre-diabetic range, but my other readings are normal according to the tables I have seen.
Thank you!
Geoff

·
Administrator
2,266 Posts
Hi, drummerboy!

To be honest, a 103 is not a bad number at all, even for a non-diabetic. As folks have mentioned previous threads, the fasting number often is the last to go up and the last to go down, so it alone is not a great indicator of metabolism if you're checking for diabetes. And people have already written in other threads about the variability of meters; you could be pulling as low as a 95 or so and things would look perfectly fine. If you read up more here, you'll see many people posting about higher fasting numbers coming after a carb-heavy dinner the night before. So there are many factors which affect that one reading.

I know in other posts you've mentioned some family history with diabetes; when you see your doctor are they checking your A1c level? That's a better test than random fasting blood tests because it measures blood glucose levels over three months rather than just a day or two. It might be worth asking your doctor about your concerns and asking if they can take an A1c sample and let you know if there are any issues they see.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Drummerboy04, some people's fasting numbers are the highest of the day, others it may be their lowest, others it may in between their highest and lowest. Some people experience higher fasting BG readings because of something called dawn phenomenon you can read about it on the link I posted. Maybe you can get some answers from it.

Big meal does not necessarily mean a lot, especially not knowing of what it consisted. Do you track the the grams of carbs, fats, and proteins in your meals? If low carb, that would probably explain your post prandial numbers.

As itissteve asked, what about A1c number, has your doctor tested them? Are you seeing a doctor? What has he/she said and done about your urination frequency concern?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drummerboy04, some people's fasting numbers are the highest of the day, others it may be their lowest, others it may in between their highest and lowest. Some people experience higher fasting BG readings because of something called dawn phenomenon you can read about it on the link I posted. Maybe you can get some answers from it.

Big meal does not necessarily mean a lot, especially not knowing of what it consisted. Do you track the the grams of carbs, fats, and proteins in your meals? If low carb, that would probably explain your post prandial numbers.

As itissteve asked, what about A1c number, has your doctor tested them? Are you seeing a doctor? What has he/she said and done about your urination frequency concern?
Thank you both of you for responding! I apologize for the delay in responding.
I have not talked to my doc just yet. At the end of the month. I’ll definitely ask about the A1C test.
I’m trying not to play mind games but I know I am overly anxious and have a stressful job which may be contributing to the frequent urination. I’m a nervous flyer and I pee alot even when I haven’t had anything to drink so maybe the anxiety has something to do with it. I know I need to lose some weight and continue to keep active.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts