The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was an extremely interesting day for my blood sugar. I took my Novolog at breakfast and for a snack mid-afternoon. I decided to have a pizza delivered about 7:30PM and checked my blood sugar prior to eating, I was at 61. My mid-afternoon snack was fairly easy to cover with insulin and I matched my carbs precisely. I take my Novolog after eating (due to gastroparesis) and decided to check my blood sugar before taking my bolus. I was still at 61. Just for the heck of it, I decided to wait until bedtime to check and see what my blood sugar was and correct then. My blood sugar was in the 70's 4 hour post meal with no Novolog. I took no Novolog and woke up this morning with FBS in the 60's. What in the world went on? There is no simple explanation for this.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No reasonable explanation! So it's just a good thing you keep taking your own advice and test! test! test! My goodness . . . :eek:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've always found pizza to be gentle but long lasting on BGL

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Breeze, how many carbs were in the pizza that you ate at 7:30 PM? How much Novolog did you take to cover the pizza? I could not eat pizza that late in the evening. It would cause me much trouble during the night. I eat heavy carb food at lunch. The afternoon exercise helps burn off some of the carbs.

My insulin sensitrivity changes throughout the day. I am more sensitive to insulin in the evening than the afternoon, so I would need less insulin for the pizza in the evening. If I took the same insulin dosage in the evening, I would have a low like you did. Have you tried to determine your insulin sensitivity levels? Carb ratios can also vary during the day too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Breeze, how many carbs were in the pizza that you ate at 7:30 PM? How much Novolog did you take to cover the pizza? I could not eat pizza that late in the evening. It would cause me much trouble during the night. I eat heavy carb food at lunch. The afternoon exercise helps burn off some of the carbs.

My insulin sensitrivity changes throughout the day. I am more sensitive to insulin in the evening than the afternoon, so I would need less insulin for the pizza in the evening. If I took the same insulin dosage in the evening, I would have a low like you did. Have you tried to determine your insulin sensitivity levels? Carb ratios can also vary during the day too.
Richard: I didn't take any insulin to cover the pizza. That is what was so strange about the day. I went to bed and was still in the 70's. The only thing that I can figure out is my basal insulin is working harder for me. 7:30PM is around the time I usually eat dinner.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Breeze, you are a Type 2 using insulin, is that right?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breeze, you are a Type 2 using insulin, is that right?
Yes, I am T2 on Lantus & Novolog. I also take Glipizide XL 5MG & 30MG Actos. I count carbs.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yes, I am T2 on Lantus & Novolog. I also take Glipizide XL 5MG & 30MG Actos. I count carbs.
If you had good numbers after pizza, then I am guessing that your Lantus and the meds combined carried you through. I is not normal to not need bolus insulin for a high carb meal. Is your bolus dosage normally very low? I am thinking you Lantus dosage or your meds dosage may be too high. If you take bolus insulin , in addition to the basal and meds, it would seem you might have a lot of hypos.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you had good numbers after pizza, then I am guessing that your Lantus and the meds combined carried you through. I is not normal to not need bolus insulin for a high carb meal. Is your bolus dosage normally very low? I am thinking you Lantus dosage or your meds dosage may be too high. If you take bolus insulin , in addition to the basal and meds, it would seem you might have a lot of hypos.
I only eat pizza about one time per month. The pizza I ate was very thin crust and was from a local joint, no nutritional info was available for the pizza. I just used the carbs off the Donatos website. I probably had 60 carbs max. I don't know why people make a big deal about eating pizza, it is just carbs and you bolus for it. When I eat pizza, I usually do very low carb for all other meals for the day. My mealtime bolus is usually between 10 and 12 units, my carb ratio is 1:5. I am still decreasing my night time Lantus dose, my doctor thinks that it might be too high. Only my meter can tell me what might be the problem. I have read and been told that your basal insulin should be about 50% of TDD. I am a little higher than 50% but once again only my meter can help me pinpoint the problem. All I know is that I refuse to revisit the days when my fasting blood sugar was above 170 every day. Using insulin is trial and error and every day and every meal can be different.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Breeze, you and I started on opposite sides of the diabetes path, but we have now met at the middle. You were dx T2 and are now using insulin like a T1. I was dx T1 but developed insulin resistance like a T2. So we both have insulin resistance and we both use a basal/bolus insulin plan for our blood sugar control. My basal and bolus were exactly equal yesterday. My pump keeps track of that. I use a carb ratio of 1 unit of bolus insulin for 6 carbs. That is a 1:6 ratio. You use a 1:5 ratio. We are very similar in many ways now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Breeze, you and I started on opposite sides of the diabetes path, but we have now met at the middle. You were dx T2 and are now using insulin like a T1. I was dx T1 but developed insulin resistance like a T2. So we both have insulin resistance and we both use a basal/bolus insulin plan for our blood sugar control. My basal and bolus were exactly equal yesterday. My pump keeps track of that. I use a carb ratio of 1 unit of bolus insulin for 6 carbs. That is a 1:6 ratio. You use a 1:5 ratio. We are very similar in many ways now.

I also think so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.