The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello to all. My name is Rhonda, I live in Mt. Juliet, Tn and I was diagnosed with Type 2 in March 2009. My PCP started me on the "normal" protocol...Metformin then Metformin ER with Glipizide and Lantus...After a year of very high Blood Sugar, and me asking to be put on regular insulin, he finally sent me to an Endo. The Endo took me off the pills and now I do 4 insulin shots a day. Novolin 70/30 before breakfast, before dinner, and before bed. Novolin R before lunch. 50 units on all.
It's only been 10 days but my sugars have gone from the 300's or 200's down to 62 (the lowest). My body can't deal with this. I really don't think I an deal with this. I thought that I wanted to do insulin since the pills didn't work, but it's so overwhelming. My entire day revoloves around shots, testing, shots, testing....I need to get on a routine with all of this but I don't know how.

I feel so alone. I took my regular insulin shot a couple of hours ago, ate yogurt, and I'm getting the shakes....I know that my Blood sugar will be around 75 when I test in a few min.

Sorry, I bet you get tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.... but what should I do?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When your body is used to BGL in the 200 to 300 range and now its 100. Your body acts like it is low, you get the shakes and swets BUT after your body is used to the 100s all will be well, you will feel crappy in the 200.

After a while the insulin will be second nature and wont be a problem.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Rhonda. It's true . . . you're feeling shakey and rotten because your body is accustomed to running so high. Give it a few more days and you'll begin to feel a lot better. Your future will look a lot brighter too, getting your sugars under good control.

We have many members who use insulin - some with MDI, and others using pumps - and they'll be able to give you better support and suggestions for getting the wrinkles ironed out of your insulin routine. I have no experience with using it, but expect I'll eventually get a chance to learn too! :)

Thank you for joining us! Ask all the questions you want and if you need to rant and rave, we're here to listen to that too. I hope you'll find our forum a good resource for guidance & support as you find the right path for you in managing your diabetes.

Take care and visit often.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Rhonda. So sorry you're going through this. Please ask your doctor to give you separate basal (long acting) and bolus (rapid acting) insulins. Your 70/30 is a combination of them and it doesn't allow you to correctly adjust the doses according to your own needs. The long acting insulins (Levemir and Lantus) can be done once or twice a day. The "rapid" insulins like Novolog and Humalog are taken at meals based on your blood sugar level and the amount of carbohydrate you will be eating.

Two books that give great explanations of how to use this type of approach to insulin therapy are Using Insulin by John Walsh and Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. The each take you through the process of setting up an effective basal insulin program, then discovering how to get the most out of the bolus insulin.

I know this is frustrating and confusing. But two separate insulins will let you take control of your treatment. It really will get easier - I promise!

Best,
Jen

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello to all. My name is Rhonda, I live in Mt. Juliet, Tn and I was diagnosed with Type 2 in March 2009. My PCP started me on the "normal" protocol...Metformin then Metformin ER with Glipizide and Lantus...After a year of very high Blood Sugar, and me asking to be put on regular insulin, he finally sent me to an Endo. The Endo took me off the pills and now I do 4 insulin shots a day. Novolin 70/30 before breakfast, before dinner, and before bed. Novolin R before lunch. 50 units on all.
It's only been 10 days but my sugars have gone from the 300's or 200's down to 62 (the lowest). My body can't deal with this. I really don't think I an deal with this. I thought that I wanted to do insulin since the pills didn't work, but it's so overwhelming. My entire day revoloves around shots, testing, shots, testing....I need to get on a routine with all of this but I don't know how.

I feel so alone. I took my regular insulin shot a couple of hours ago, ate yogurt, and I'm getting the shakes....I know that my Blood sugar will be around 75 when I test in a few min.

Sorry, I bet you get tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.... but what should I do?
Hi Rhonda, glad you found us here. It really will get better, honest. Just stick with it. I know I spent a long time running blood sugars of 350-450 on average. Once I got myself under control again, I felt like I was going to pass out at 150! As my body got used to a normal blood sugar again that went away. Now I feel bad when I am over 160 or so.

You will get into a routine with your insulin. It will become common for you to do it after awhile. Especially when you keep reminding yourself of the benefits of maintaining your blood sugar....and the very real dangers of not controlling it.

Have you met with a diabetic educator? I very strongly suggest it. If you are getting low often, then you need some help with carbohydrate counting. You are most likely not eating enough carbs for the amount of insulin you are taking. You might be eating too many carbs at other times. Unfortunately, especially at the beginning of taking insulin, you really need to do a lot of testing to see how your body is reacting to the amount of carbs you are eating vs. the amount of insulin you are taking. Honestly, carb counting is really the best way to get better control and manage your blood sugar better.

You arent alone...many of us battle this demon every day :) Please post any time you need to ask a question, or just need to rant and rave. Thats what we are all here for....to learn from each other!

You can do this....really :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum! I agree with Jen regarding the switch to different types of insulin. I take Lantus at 9PM and take Novolog after meals to cover my carbs. Note that I take my insulin after I eat rather than before because I have gastroparesis. It will take some time for your body to get used to lower blood glucose readings. I know how you feel, there are some days that I get tired of testing and taking injections, but it is what I need to do to control my blood glucose. I have my share of lows and have hypo unawareness but I have accepted the fact that this is all part of having diabetes. This is easier said then done but try not to be overwhelmed by the multiple daily injections and the lows. I hope you will visit us often, this is a great place to come for advice and information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts