The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before going HF/LC I would reuse oil (canola or whatever) in my deep fat frier several times. But now, wanting to use safe oils, I fried chicken in the frier with pure olive oil, but after one use, it turned brown. I read online that once it turns brown, you should not reuse it. I don't want to spend the money re-filling it each time I want to fry something.

At present, the only oils I use are coconut and olive oil. Is there a 'safe' oil I can use and reuse several times in my deep frier?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Here is a good explanation from Mark's Daily Apple, and the higher the smoke point, the better. For our purposes, avocado oil would be best, but I have not the remotest idea what it would COST to fill a deep fryer with avocado oil!
More than I have to bargain with! :rolleyes:

Before going HF/LC I would reuse oil (canola or whatever) in my deep fat frier several times. But now, wanting to use safe oils, I fried chicken in the frier with pure olive oil, but after one use, it turned brown. I read online that once it turns brown, you should not reuse it. I don't want to spend the money re-filling it each time I want to fry something.

At present, the only oils I use are coconut and olive oil. Is there a 'safe' oil I can use and reuse several times in my deep frier?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I was never any good at deep-frying in the first place, so I just avoid it. Not eating out means I also avoid others' deep frying (which would use more dubious oils).

But that is interesting info from Shanny -- I did not know any oils were considered safe for it!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The deepest frying I do anymore is mebbe an inch of oil in the bottom of the dutch oven. Seems to work fine & less mess than the huge fryer with 2-3 quarts of oil!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you do some research on Dr Mercolas site he suggests the only safe oil to cook with is Coconut Oil. All the other oils including Olive oil will oxidise as you heat them. It is this oxidation that causes free radicals in the body. I now usually saute most of my meats in a small amount of CO in a frying pan. I do think it would be rather pricey to put it in a deep fryer.

Reactions: magicplinger

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If you do some research on Dr Mercolas site he suggests the only safe oil to cook with is Coconut Oil. All the other oils including Olive oil will oxidise as you heat them. It is this oxidation that causes free radicals in the body. I now usually saute most of my meats in a small amount of CO in a frying pan. I do think it would be rather pricey to put it in a deep fryer.
What about beef tallow? I know many people might find that a little "gross", but wouldn't it be very stable under high temperature? I don't think good saturated fats like it have any of those oxidation problems under high temperature.

Once I took some large chunks of it off some baked short ribs after they were refrigerated and fried some vegetables in it. A real joy to cook with. Somehow it neither burns nor burns what you are cooking in it.

I know many fast food places used it in their deep fryers (I think it was blended with vegetable oils) for many years until the CSPI lawsuit forced them to use trans-fat laden hydrogenated oils as a "safer" alternative. (Now that the truth is coming out about those, CSPI denies their own previous statements even though they are in the public record.)

I don't know where you can buy it in large quantities, but it must be cheap since the population at large still believes it to be "instant heart-attack".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes, I didn't realize avacado oil is so expensive. I wonder if peanut oil would be hazardous to our health.

The frier is so easy, just throw the food in until it's done, then take it out. No turning, no grease spatters. Looks like my bread machine is useless now, I'd sure hate to have to give the frier the old heave-ho, too.

That is some great info. Thanks.

Froggy

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yikes, I didn't realize avacado oil is so expensive. I wonder if peanut oil would be hazardous to our health.
I do my fried chicken in peanut oil - just a bit in the bottom of my cast iron pan, fry up both sides of the chicken before moving it to the oven. It's got a decently high smoke point and a nice flavor for chicken. I also use peanut oil for several of my stir-fry's if doing something in a S.E. Asian style.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What about beef tallow? I know many people might find that a little "gross", but wouldn't it be very stable under high temperature?
Beef Tallow is awesome, imho.

Before the 'push' to get rid of saturated fats, the majority of Fast Food items were being cooked in beef tallow, giving them a great flavor and ultimately being better for us than what they switched to - either time they switched (first to Trans Fats, then to Veggie oil)

It doesn't add a beefy flavor like you'd expect.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When we were growing up we kept a big jar on the stove with Bacon Fat in it. That was the main fat we used to cook everything. We never refrigerated it and sometimes I wondered how old the fat was but boy did it make food good. I would think the beef tallow would be similar

Reactions: Wink
1 - 11 of 11 Posts