The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking neurontin once a day. My neuropathy pain in my feet had gone away but I was still having a little bit of residual numbness on my right big toe area. Not painful, but just annoying. When I went to the Dr a couple weeks ago, I mentioned it. He suggested increasing the neurontin dosage. I asked about Lyrica since I was reading so much about it. So we decided to try it. I started noticing some increased numbness in my right foot a couple of days ago. I thought I would call the office on Monday and see about switching back. Well, Saturday morning I woke up in so much pain I could barely stand it. I started back on my old dose of neurontin and at least its tolerable today, but have a lot of numbness in the right foot and pain and numbness in the left from the knee down. Grrrrr....ok ...note to self......when a drug is working...*dont* change it :( Guess I am off to the dr office in the morning *sigh*

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was taking neurontin once a day. My neuropathy pain in my feet had gone away but I was still having a little bit of residual numbness on my right big toe area. Not painful, but just annoying. When I went to the Dr a couple weeks ago, I mentioned it. He suggested increasing the neurontin dosage. I asked about Lyrica since I was reading so much about it. So we decided to try it. I started noticing some increased numbness in my right foot a couple of days ago. I thought I would call the office on Monday and see about switching back. Well, Saturday morning I woke up in so much pain I could barely stand it. I started back on my old dose of neurontin and at least its tolerable today, but have a lot of numbness in the right foot and pain and numbness in the left from the knee down. Grrrrr....ok ...note to self......when a drug is working...*dont* change it :( Guess I am off to the dr office in the morning *sigh*
That is very interesting. For now, I plan to stay on Neurontin (Gabapentin) and will keep the Lyrica therapy as a last resort. Just curious, my doctor told me that I had to taper down and get off Neurontin and wait a week to start Lyrica when I was going to switch to it. You just switched meds?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes he didnt tell me I had to taper off of it...although I did read that today. Maybe because I was on a low dose of it? I was only taking 300mg a day. All I know is that right now I am having more pain and numbness than I ever had before. I actually called in sick today. The thought of putting on shoes and being on my feet for 12 hours was more than I could bear.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
yes he didnt tell me I had to taper off of it...although I did read that today. Maybe because I was on a low dose of it? I was only taking 300mg a day. All I know is that right now I am having more pain and numbness than I ever had before. I actually called in sick today. The thought of putting on shoes and being on my feet for 12 hours was more than I could bear.
I hope that you can get some relief from the Neurontin. Maybe your doctor will increase or add to your current dose. I am taking 600MG AM & 900MG at bedtime. At this dose, I am having no pain.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got back from the Dr a bit ago. He put me back on the neurontin at triple the dose I was taking. I was only taking 300mg once a day. Now I am taking that three times a day. He is also referring me to a neurologist.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Okay if I take your note & readdress it to myself?! "If it ain't broke . . . "

Hoping you regain lost ground with the increased dosage. ((((Pam))))

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay if I take your note & readdress it to myself?! "If it ain't broke . . . "

Hoping you regain lost ground with the increased dosage. ((((Pam))))
Yes please do... I have mine stapled to my forehead so I never forget it :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts