The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

IDDM since 2yo. Breed, train and educate equestrian horses & have travelled extensively since I was a baby. I remember things like clinitest tablets, along with steel and glass syringes and 40/80 unit insulin:D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, HW. I think you'll find a coupla veterans here to compare notes with - it's great to have you with us! Thanks for joining.

You do realize, of course, that everyone now thinks you look just like Robert Redford, right?! ;)

We look forward to getting better acquainted & learning from your experiences. Are you pumping? (oops - nevermind - I just found your other post :eek:)

Hi Everyone,

IDDM since 2yo. Breed, train and educate equestrian horses & have travelled extensively since I was a baby. I remember things like clinitest tablets, along with steel and glass syringes and 40/80 unit insulin:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL..... Robert Redford

Hello & welcome, HW. I think you'll find a coupla veterans here to compare notes with - it's great to have you with us! Thanks for joining.

You do realize, of course, that everyone now thinks you look just like Robert Redford, right?! ;)

We look forward to getting better acquainted & learning from your experiences. Are you pumping? (oops - nevermind - I just found your other post :eek:)
The female version anyway:D Thanks for the warm welcome Shanny:cool:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Whoa, horsewhisperer! Nice to have you join our corral. There are several type 1 diabetics here. I was diagnosed in 1945 and used animal insulins for about 45 years. It was difficult not being able to test our blood back then. I wonder how I have managed to be type 1 for 65 years, and have no complications, except mild nerve damage.

How are you doing now? Healthy? It will be interesting to compare the good old days in Australia, with what I have seen.

Richard

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good old days

Whoa, horsewhisperer! Nice to have you join our corral. There are several type 1 diabetics here. I was diagnosed in 1945 and used animal insulins for about 45 years. It was difficult not being able to test our blood back then. I wonder how I have managed to be type 1 for 65 years, and have no complications, except mild nerve damage.

How are you doing now? Healthy? It will be interesting to compare the good old days in Australia, with what I have seen.

Richard
I started on porcine and beef insulins and switched over with my first pregnancy. Even when glucometers came out they were beyond most people's pay packet. Scary thing is up until the 1920's our life expectancy was short and congrats on 65 yrs and no complications:cool: New diabetics have it so easy today;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Breed, train and educate equestrian horses
I picture you in a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and shirt, blue jeans and chaps, busting broncos, like in the old west movies. If it ain't so, don't burst my bubble. :D

Glad you found us, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hello and welcome Mr Horseman *waves from Perth*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts