1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a bit shocked by this page.

What's Wrong With Olive Oil?

Here is a quote.

Hype: Olive oil does not promote inflammation.

Truth: All high–fat diets promote inflammation.

Increased fat in the blood after fat–rich meals – including meals rich in olive oil – may also injure our arteries and promote heart disease because they increase inflammation.

And meal after meal, year after year, of high–fat, calorie–dense foods promotes weight gain, which leads to adverse changes in blood lipids as well as increased levels of inflammatory substances in the blood.

What’s really intriguing is that high–fat meals increase inflammation even when calorie intake is restricted and weight is lost. In a 2007 study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, a diet high in fat raised an inflammatory protein (CRP) in the blood by 25% despite the fact that the subjects lost weight. By contrast, CRP levels dropped by 43% when the subjects lost the same amount of weight on a low–fat, high–carbohydrate diet. (6)
I've been quite enthusiastic about olive oil lately. The enthusiasm just sank a bit. sigh

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, seems like that site is just a bit scammy. They compare the nutrients on a per calorie basis between olive oil and lettuce here.

Olive oil chart

And they don't mention that one pound of olive oil would take 65 pounds of lettuce to balance it on that basis. I certainly would have mentioned it.

Since they seem to be promoting a diet, I'm much less impressed than when I first got excited about the olive oil bad news. double sigh

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I still use Olive Oil mainly in salad dressings but I prefer to cook with Coconut Oil. It is my understanding that all vegetable oils oxidize when you heat them. That means when you eat things cooked with those vegetable oils they cause free radicals in the body which cause many diseases. So I actually prefer the real fats like butter, bacon fat and coconut oil.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I will add olive oil to dishes when they are on my plate. This way it's not cooked.

also: with the low-fat craze still going on, a lot of restaurant meals (especially the meats) are lean, so I take with me a very small bottle filled with olive oil to sprinkle over my meat and veggies.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
My tuppence worth.
I won't let the boss see this because she does like good olive oil when it is used correctly. That specifically excludes using it for high temperature frying when yes, it does go sick (just as jwags says)!

For frying she uses, butter, coconut oil or walnut oil.

And as for the other trick of comparing things like 1lb of lettuce to 1lb of oil - that's a sad old one. Use it when you want to exaggerate the significance one isolated item of data that you want to look good.

Does anyone regularly eat 1lb of lettuce in a sitting? I don't nor would I drink 1lb of olive oil, so comparing the calories in that fashion is just silly.

I don't think anyone with half a brain would question the simple fact that, yes, olive oil is more calorie rich than lettuce - so what? You don't use them in the same way.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
foxl;72249[url=http://www.npr.org/2011/12/12/143154180/losing-virginity-olive-oils-scandalous-industry said:
Losing 'Virginity': Olive Oil's 'Scandalous' Fraud : NPR[/url]
Neat link, thank you foxl. I especially enjoyed using olive oil in 'religious rituals' as the person typed. Also it was news to me that olive oil light just refers to the color, not to the calories.

Not that I've ever bought the light version anyway, but it is amazing how misleading communication can be. (especially when it is deliberately misleading)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.