The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has been on the Omnipod for a while and we've noticed that sometimes the BG reading on the PDM is way off. So much so that we're now taking two readings each time we check his blood sugar due to a scary incident that occurred over the weekend. We first test with the Omnipod PDM and then with the One Touch Ultra. Thankfully, we're able to get a sample for both with only a single finger prick. There can sometimes be over a 100 point difference between the two meters, which is totally crazy. As stated before, this really became an issue over the weekend as our son experienced a severe low while roller skating ten minutes after his PDM gave a BG reading of 110. We weren't comfortable with that number due to all the activity and gave him a few drinks of regular soda thinking that would hold him over for a while (he was fill from lunch and refused the glucose tabs). Soon after that though he sat down and said he felt like he was going to fall asleep, quickly became non-responsive and fell into a diabetic seizure. Thankfully, my wife and I were right next to him when it happened and were able to immediately administer the glucagon. He's fine now, but we believe there is definitely something wrong with the PDM and have received a new one. That incident was something I would not wish on my worst enemy would just like to know if anyone else has experienced problems like this with the Omnipod

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Can't say I've experienced the same problem with the PDM that your son has experienced, but when I was using the Omnipod I did experience strange readings. My advice would be to call Insulet and insist on a new PDM ....NOW! There is no excuse for numbers to be that far off. After all your son's well being is of utmost importance here. Don't let Insulet put you off by trying to blame you or your son.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We've already received a new PDM, but the buttons were sticking, so we're getting another one from our local Omnipod rep. Hopefully this one is more accurate as this has been an absolute nightmare.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
During the 2-1/2 hrs I was on the OmniPod I went through 5 of the PDM and none of the failures were my fault. I did not drop them nor leave them in a hot car during Summer or get them wet. They just failed, one after another over a period of 24 months. Those failures plus problems with the pod itself gave me the incentive to get a different insulin pump.

You don't say how old your son is, but no matter what his age - he deserves to have dependable medical equipment to help manage his diabetes IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, he's 8. Just out of curiosity, which pump did you switch to and how do yo like it? Very interesting about your Omnipod experience.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I was more or less 'forced' to switch because prior to July 2010 I was on the OmniPod, and like I explained earlier I had a lot of various difficulties. Not everyone has these kinds of problems, but my particular failure rate was really high.

In July 2010 I became 65 and went on Medicare. Medicare does not even recognize the OmniPod as a 'real' insulin pump (which I think is just plain dumb). I could not afford the cost of the pod and insulin w/o insurance, so I did a lot of research and decided to go with Medtronic Revel. It is a pump with tubing and the prospect of that tubing did NOT excite me at the time.

However after being on it for 3 months one day I realized that I had not had any "failures" with this system and I began to like it a lot more. Now if someone told me I had to stop this pump - I would be a most unhappy person. Do I always love it? Probably not because I would prefer not to have diabetes. Since I don't have a choice then this pump is my lifeline.

Your little guy is really lucky to have a parent like you. I wish you both the very best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts