The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am also dealing with diabetes. I am a seafarer and had my medical examination. Everything was normal except for my fbs which was 181. They had me tested for Hba1c and got 10.8 and PPG which is 146. They advised me to consult an endocrinologist. She prescribed me insulin (Humulin N and Apidra) and Xigduo. My doses were:

Humulin N (bid) 30 units after breakfast and 20 units after dinner.
Xigduo 1tab after lunch
Apidra Solostar (rescue dose) only and gave me a sliding scale

Do you think this combination will do the trick? I am on strict diet and exercise and it helped naman po.. because i take my blood glucose 3x daily so I can see improvement.

They said to have my blood sugar (hbalc) checked after 2 weeks which I believe is useless considering that Hbalc is a 3-month average of blood glucose int he body. They require me to at least have an Hba1c of 7 in order to give medical clearance. I think from 10.8 to 7.0 is a long haul, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hi, I am also dealing with diabetes. I am a seafarer and had my medical examination. Everything was normal except for my fbs which was 181. They had me tested for Hba1c and got 10.8 and PPG which is 146. They advised me to consult an endocrinologist. She prescribed me insulin (Humulin N and Apidra) and Xigduo. My doses were:

Humulin N (bid) 30 units after breakfast and 20 units after dinner.
Xigduo 1tab after lunch
Apidra Solostar (rescue dose) only and gave me a sliding scale

Do you think this combination will do the trick? I am on strict diet and exercise and it helped naman po.. because i take my blood glucose 3x daily so I can see improvement.

They said to have my blood sugar (hbalc) checked after 2 weeks which I believe is useless considering that Hbalc is a 3-month average of blood glucose int he body. They require me to at least have an Hba1c of 7 in order to give medical clearance. I think from 10.8 to 7.0 is a long haul, isn't it?
I went from BG of 396 to 76 in 5 weeks. it can be done. Google ketogenics

watch this video

ask any questions you want but you can bring it down fast as long as your body is not too damaged. Keep carbs under 20g a day and eat high fat. you will be shocked. I did it with NO medication.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You need to severely adapt your eating. Also, it isn't entirely true about the A1C. It is strongly weighted towards the last 3 weeks according to my endocrinologist. My sis went from 10.6 to 7.2 in 3 weeks with only diet changes (they wanted her on insulin). She cut her carbs tremendously.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
@ionin did the doctors test you for antibodies?

The test would be called "GAD-65" and it tells you if your body is attacking your pancreas. It is very helpful to know if you have this, because it changes which treatments to try and helps you know what to expect.

Otherwise Humulin N and Apidra are both common insulins and they should work if the dose is correct. Your doctor should be looking over how many carbohydrates are in your meals, how much insulin you took, and how your blood sugar is responding every few days to adjust your dose until you get it right.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
inion....welcome! You have just joined with a very large group of fellow diabetics. We will share our experiences with you and sometimes be able to give you some ideas or solutions that will be useful. The thing about being a diabetic is you have to get a very clear understanding of the disease and how to take control of it. Look at the video and the recommended website reading (hftmrock above), it a place to start. You have to have knowledge to learn how to take control.

Medications are important, but without a change in eating habits (NOT DIETING) instead change the mix of what you eat. We all eat very low carbohydrates, but supplement that loss of carbs, by eating more fat....

Read the material above to understand how and why this works so well for diabetics.............

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts