The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding good options for breakfast on-the-go. I leave for work at 5:30 am and I am not a morning person, so a sit-down breakfast every morning is really not an option. I've been eating granola bars or Special K bars for breakfast while I'm driving my hour and a half commute. I don't like pork, chicken, or turkey, so all the frozen breakfast items are out. I got so frustrated in the grocery store this afternoon, it actually made me cry. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Connie

Type 2 diagnosis: 3/4/11

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Would it help to move outside the confines of specific "breakfast" foods? I eat whatever I like for any meal of the day. If you had a few things made up that you could just grab on the way out the door . . . maybe like deviled eggs, small burritos or other finger foods you enjoy. I often use salmon sandwich spread in small taco shells (LaTiara brand is only 4g of carb per shell) . . . anything like egg salad, tuna salad, etc., works pretty well in these little shells. Low-carb/high fiber tortillas make really good wraps & might even be easier to eat on-the-go than crispy shells.

What are some things you like to eat other times of the day? Maybe they'd work for a quick breakfast too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think about non-breakfast items. That would definitely open up my options. One of my big problems is that I'm a picky eater.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm having trouble finding good options for breakfast on-the-go. I leave for work at 5:30 am and I am not a morning person, so a sit-down breakfast every morning is really not an option. I've been eating granola bars or Special K bars for breakfast while I'm driving my hour and a half commute. I don't like pork, chicken, or turkey, so all the frozen breakfast items are out. I got so frustrated in the grocery store this afternoon, it actually made me cry. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Connie

Type 2 diagnosis: 3/4/11
You will figure all of this out, it is going to make eating a challenge since you are a picky eater. But thanks to Shanny, I had to retrain my brain about when to eat certain foods. Today I had something different for breakfast. I made a hamburger with cheese and eggs. It was good to! Don't be hard on yourself right now, you have been thrown a curve ball into your life, diabetes. One meal at a time! :D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have been skipping breakfast, which seems to help more than hurt.

but I have made a couple things I like, recently:

Marty's breakfast bars, for one, or flax brownies.

Or Marty's "cereal" which is really a nuts and flax mix.

Also the mini-crustless quiche thingies, per South Beach.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I skipped breakfast the other day and had the highest reading since I got my meter. I decided that's not a good thing for me.

Thanks, y'all!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I can't skip breakfast either. You can make low carb blueberry muffins with almond meal and flaxseed. They rarely spike my bg. I like to eat them with a dab of full fat cream cheese. MCS's almondoodle cookies are also great and I tend to eat them with my morning coffee. I have also made low carb doughnuts with whey powder and I fry them in coconut oil. I either dust them with cinnamon and splenda or squirt some sugar free Walden Farms Jam inside for a jelly donut. Here are a few of my favorite low carb websites.

Low-Carb Recipes - Recipes for Every Low Carb Diet

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

Reactions: dimplestoday

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks jwags for the websites to check out as we are also on this search and my husband is also quite the picky eater AND he doesn't like breakfast food!LOL! Save for homemade biscuits & eggs on the weekend which does not help his BG...*arching a brow*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts