The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Diabetes Forum:

I just found the forum and joined and already have read a number of posts that have confirmed some things I thought were true, allowed me to recognize the knowledge I do have already from a life battling weight issues and have taught me some new things.

I am 56, 5'5" and at present am about 273 (but it depends on which scale I'm on), slightly down in the past month from 280 as I just received a wake up call in August from my endo. In the past 6 months, my A1C went from 6.1 to 6. 3....so my endo (who I was originally seeing as a follow-up to thyroid cancer and thyroidectomy 4 years ago--all is well with that now) is still calling it "Insulin Resistance" but she said unofficially that I now over into the diabetic zone. So whether that is an outright diagnosis or not it was a wake up call. I'm determined to nip this in the bud NOW...finally.

I have spent a lifetime, from age 8 starting with Weight Watchers, battling weight issues and my own internal and maternal issues around it. But this new diagnosis has propelled me to more exercise (including a new love of kayaking) and to begin a Low-Carb eating plan (Atkins-esque) which I did years ago successfully. I have been doing pretty well avoiding carbs or substituting low-carb alternatives (Carblose Flour Mix, Mission Low Carb Tortillas, Sugar Free Maple Syrup, Sugar Free "Nutella" substitute). I haven't tested my A1C levels again yet...but will in November. (Please advise, should I be testing my blood with a glucose meter?...those levels have never been very high...maybe 105 max.).

I find that I am still dizzied by the widely varying schools of thought on diets and whether to include sweet potatoes and oatmeal is good...and fatty red meats and high-fat dairy is bad...or just go bottom line by the carb count on foods, for instance. And then there is the question of supplements -- what about the various herbs from India that are supposed to combat diabetes such as Gymnema or Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, Fenugreek, and a host of other natural items (I haven't fully explored the site yet and I assume some of you have debated this here in various threads....which I will look for). I have been doing yoga for the past 5 years and just recently asked my teacher for help learning some postures that are supposed to help diabetes. So we went through a few of the ones I found online. (She said that from what she can surmise it mostly comes down to stretching and smashing the pancreas to cause it to generate new beta cells to generate insulin...any feedback on that anyone?)

Hope to have a chance to learn more about good ways to take care of myself. By the way, I have been insulin resistant according to various doctors since I was much younger but the A1C levels didn't rise until now. I have been on 500mg of Metformin for the past 3 years to help make sure the thyroid cancer doesn't reappear in the lymph nodes in my neck (they found metastasis to 2 lymph nodes a year after the thyroidectomy and removed 32 lymph nodes on one side of my neck in response -- to take out the bad ones and prevent any additional problems with the surrounding ones.) So far, all has been well in the 3 years since the 2nd surgery). It's interesting, though, how all of these things are tied together.

Anyway, I've been a bit long winded...but these are many of the things on my mind related to this and they are what inspired me to join today to find a community to help me address questions and challenges and find some good solutions.

So thanks in advance...

Best,
AnnieMmmm

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome to the forum, AnnieMmmm

I have some good news for you. You've come to the best place there is for learning how to gain control over your diabetes, and for help and encouragement to do what it takes to be successful.

Many have come here in similar and worse situations as you, and it doesn't take very long for them to make a complete turnaround in blood sugar control. The key is diet, as your instincts and experience has shown you. When I was first diagnosed I, too, went on the Atkins Induction diet. It was great. I lost some weight and my blood glucose (BG) lowered right away. There is another similar way of eating called low-carb/high-fat (LCHF) and you can read about it here LCHF for Beginners – the Low Carb, High Fat Diet

You asked if you should be testing. Well, YES! The only way you are going to know if certain foods are good for your blood sugar levels is to test them. I would like to direct you to a good, accurate website about diabetes that we have learned to trust: Blood Sugar 101 Pay special attention to the section "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar" which is a testing protocol that we recommend here, as well. We call it "Eat To Your Meter". After you've read this, go out and get yourself a glucose meter and start testing. If your doctor/insurance hasn't provided one, Walmart's Relion Prime is the least expensive one with the least expensive testing strips (which you will need a lot at first).

I want to encourage you to do the reading and implement the process. With reduced carbohydrates and regular testing it will be very soon that you will control your diabetes, and most probably will lose weight. A win/win lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi and welcome Annie. I thought I was reading my own intro. I'm 56, 5'6" (now) was 5'5" before I got my new knees and started my new healthy journey at 280 pounds. I was diagnosed about 13 years ago but didn't learn about low carb eating until 14 months ago. since then my A1c has gone from 8.8 to 4.8 then 5.2 to keep my doctor from having a stroke haha and I've lost 94 pounds.

So just to let you know that if I could do it, so can you...low carb, high fat way of eating and exercise, I started out just walking each day. And please read the links VeeJay gave you.....invaluable information in there. And YES testing your blood sugar before all meals and 1 and 2 hours after the 1st bite of each meal will tell you all you need to know about whether a food is good or bad for YOU. Some of us can eat something that maybe others can't.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Annie, welcome aboard! Here you are going to find information that has the potential to change your life. To get on board with us though, you must do the reading recommended above. And other may give you added websites that you can go to and further understand why our methods work!

I joined this site in April of this year. My purpose for joining was to try and find out how I could get my type 2 diabetes under control. My A1c had slowly increased up to 7.9! Regardless of the additional medications I was taking. OMG I was starting to have nerve pain in my feet and feared other complications would soon follow.

After doing all the reading recommend by others on this website, I learned that the trick is to reduce my carb intake and increase my fat intake, to offset the low carbs. So on 5/1/15, after doing lots of research on the website, for recipes and what to eat for meals....I started eating less then 50 carbs per day and dramatically increased my fat intake. Including butter, bacon, avocado, etc.

In July, I went to my regular doctor appointment, somewhat excited to see all my blood test results. Back in May when I started I weighed 320 at 6'2"! My goal was not initially weight loss, but just to solve my blood sugar issues without taking more meds.

At my July appointment my A1c was 6.0, best ever! My Cholesterol was world class, my blood pressure was 125/75 best for 30 yrs. And my weight was 290! A loss of 30 lbs. and I was not even trying, not exercise just pure water and less fat from carbs!

So read and learn our way, and you too will be amazed. Just remember the knowledge and understanding why and how this works is critical!

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the warm welcome, the links, and the encouragement. I'm taking this on a bit slowly because I don't want to freak myself out and then have my inner 7-year old react and refuse to play the game. She's impossible...but I have keep her placated and distracted while my inner adult attempts to maintain ownership of my life and new perspectives. (Sometimes its very busy inside my head!).

Anyway, I do have a meter that I have had for sometime to confirm that my blood sugar levels were okay (below 99 when I got up in the morning) and then when I established that I put the thing away and haven't looked at it since. So I will find it and see if I still have the test strips and then sneak up on the testing thing.

Again, thanks for the resources and support,
AnniMmmm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, Vicky...that's really interesting. I will hope then that my path goes as well. Can you share any challenges you had and what you did to make it through...

So far things have been good -- and the changes I've made don't feel so harsh as there seem to be a lot of others making similar choices so you can get ingredients to make healthy meals easily and restaurants don't look at you like you have 2 heads when you ask them to substitute veggies for carbs.

But I haven't faced any real crises yet for which I've used food in the past as a crutch (especially carbs) and so I guess I want to be ready and also be able to forgive myself and get back on track if I do screw up.

Anyway, again thanks and glad to have a doppelganger here with experiences. :-D

Cheers,
AnnieMmmm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Annie, welcome aboard! Here you are going to find information that has the potential to change your life. To get on board with us though, you must do the reading recommended above. And other may give you added websites that you can go to and further understand why our methods work!

I joined this site in April of this year. My purpose for joining was to try and find out how I could get my type 2 diabetes under control. My A1c had slowly increased up to 7.9! Regardless of the additional medications I was taking. OMG I was starting to have nerve pain in my feet and feared other complications would soon follow.

After doing all the reading recommend by others on this website, I learned that the trick is to reduce my carb intake and increase my fat intake, to offset the low carbs. So on 5/1/15, after doing lots of research on the website, for recipes and what to eat for meals....I started eating less then 50 carbs per day and dramatically increased my fat intake. Including butter, bacon, avocado, etc.

In July, I went to my regular doctor appointment, somewhat excited to see all my blood test results. Back in May when I started I weighed 320 at 6'2"! My goal was not initially weight loss, but just to solve my blood sugar issues without taking more meds.

At my July appointment my A1c was 6.0, best ever! My Cholesterol was world class, my blood pressure was 125/75 best for 30 yrs. And my weight was 290! A loss of 30 lbs. and I was not even trying, not exercise just pure water and less fat from carbs!

So read and learn our way, and you too will be amazed. Just remember the knowledge and understanding why and how this works is critical!

Good Luck
Thank you so much, Div2Liv -- I will be looking for the materials to read and finding recipes that keep me satisfied...and also finding other activities I will / can do for good times and bad -- so that food is not the first place I go automatically. More bike riding, more kayaking, more yoga, more massages.

Again, thanks so much for the sharing, the encouragement and support.

Best,
AnnieMmmm

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Thank you so much, Div2Liv -- I will be looking for the materials to read and finding recipes that keep me satisfied...and also finding other activities I will / can do for good times and bad -- so that food is not the first place I go automatically. More bike riding, more kayaking, more yoga, more massages.

Again, thanks so much for the sharing, the encouragement and support.

Best,
AnnieMmmm
Hi Annie....let me give you some good options if you have a food attack! I have been there, done that!

Pork rinds with Salsa....crunchy and spicy! I always have these on hand for 'crunch attacks'... and perfectly fine on Low Carb High Fat (LCHF)! I also keep walnuts and pecans in the shell on hand, good for LCHF I order them in 5lbs bags from Nuts.com

Fast Food Attack! Got you covered!

Go to Sonic Drive-in and order a cheeseburger or two with mustard and no fries please, and get one of their sugar free cherry lime aids! Go home and eat it without the buns....pure fast food goodness and again, is within the norms of LCHF eating. And finally, go to Kentucky Fried Chicken....they have Roast Chicken also, and it too is finger licking good! I order it with a double order of their green beans....now that is a great LCHF meal!

Also, if you like it, have a glass of wine with your meals or mixed drink with water or soda....:p

So you will find, as I have that this is not a diet, only change in what you eat...that makes it work for me...

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts