The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just on the look out for a person like myself who has mody (diagnosed as type 2 for many years), I am now 41 but was about 34 when I was diagnosed after my eyesight when to crap over night, i had no other symptoms I could pick, ever since then I had gone to a low carb diet and kept my hba1c levels for many years at 5.6-5.7, then it went up to 6.2- 6.3 in the last 12 months ive had 6.7, 6.2, 6.9 and am about to have my next test which I know will be higher.

Originally my diagnoses was a mystery why I had type 2 at such a young age, I was fit healthy playing soccer and training multiple times a week and have been sporting and healthy my whole life, I am tall and skinny, probably 2 years ago i seen a new Endo as I was no happy with my numbers creeping up and he immediately wanted to see if I was mody as he didnt believe I was regular type 2, so mody is genetic and just bad luck for me someone in my family must have it.

I use a continuous glucose monitor on and off to get a good 2 weeks of how my food, sleep, diet, exercise and medication is effecting me and now I am really seeing that even the smallest amount of carb is making me spike quite high and it takes longer then normal to fall back into a safe range (which is why I think i am looking at insulin now), I am on jardimet and glyclicide currently.

the other thing i identified years ago is I have a massive spike from dawn phenomenon that my bloods skyrocked as soon as I open my eye's, if i sleep on and off say for example it spikes massively, if I take tables immediately it has no effect, If i get up immediately, eat and take tablets it can stop it from going as high, but still shoots up.

Im a bit bummed about this likelyhood of going to insulin, my endo says its not worries and in ways will make my life easier food wise (I am very strict on what i eat) but it will introduce hypo's possibly which I have never had to worry about (never had a high or low where it required medical attention), I eat pretty damn well (no im not keto) but I really look at carbs in what I eat so breakfast would normally be 6 carbs or less, lunch might be 12-15, dinner 10-15 and I exercise a lot, I road ride once to twice a week, mountain bike once to twice a week, run once a week, and throw in the occasional weights session, im somewhat fit and still skinny, but it seems the disease is just progressing and I cant control with my hard work any more.

My mother is on insulin for regular type 2 she got at 61, and eats how she pleases, does not exercise much and her numbers are good (always been a slight frustration of mine as to how hard to work and strict my diet is).

So here I am, why am i posting not sure, the diabete's forum email updated come into my inbox which i never read, but I am pretty alone on this, I dont talk to people about what i have, hardly anyone knows I have it, i keep it close to my chest, i function and live as normal, ive had a rough year with a marriage separation after 15 years and now only having my 2 daughters once every 2 weeks, and it seems my battle with this disease is at its next chapter, tricky year to navigate, oh and throw in covid

Wondering if there are others like me out there that dont fit the mould of having diabeetes and are not type 1, i have not come across one in australia so far that lines up with me, most that would be similar are all type 1, not mody or type 2.

Im posting just to talk to like minded people going through the same things, open up a bit, see if i can get soemthing out of it and maybe help others as well who might be in the same boat.

Have a good day all.

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
Hi, Mark0. I'm sad that you've hit such a rough patch. I hope we can help here somehow.

Several things you wrote struck chords with me: carefully watching what I eat, watching others eat whatever they want (!), and health challenges to navigate beyond diabetes. It's been a bear of a year or so in other parts of life, too. Watching my BG levels go up through all that would be very frustrating.

COVID and life in general seem to have taken a bit of a toll on the traffic levels around here, but I hope others who received the email you did will check in and someone will respond here. Thanks for posting here again.

·
Super Moderator
10,015 Posts
Mi MarkO, welcome to the forum.

I didn't see in your post if you got a definite confirmation from your new endo about the MODY, but assume you did. Did you find out what type? Ive heard there were around a dozen. Maybe Jenny Rhul's Blood Sugar 101 article may help. She is a MODY 3 diabetic. I guess she is only one of a few that I was aware of that was MODY.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts