The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right in the kisser! or is it, straight to the moon!

Identical lunches yesterday and today.

Yesterday preprandial = 86. Today = 90.

Yesterday 1.3 hr post = 128
Today 2.1 hr post = 171

POW.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Right in the kisser! or is it, straight to the moon!

Identical lunches yesterday and today.

Yesterday preprandial = 86. Today = 90.

Yesterday 1.3 hr post = 128
Today 2.1 hr post = 171

POW.
As long as your liver has glycogen and your body has hormones, it can pretty much do what it wants. It could very well have little to do with what you just ate of didn't eat.

This is the gaping hole in "eat to your meter" - not to mention the 10+ percent margin of error built into your meter. If you believe that readings are only related to what you just ate, you will have lots of false positives and false negatives. They could be related to what you ate BEFORE and/or some mixed up hormone signalling.

I can't keep consistent and good results unless I keep glycogen depleted. When it is allowed to build up, strange things happen for several days until I deplete it again.

I really only look at the total amount of glucose I'm producing from what I eat on a global basis and strive to keep it as low as possible (and that I'm getting sufficient energy between fats and carbs so my metabolism doesn't just slow down). I have to avoid fructose almost completely. This keeps me satisfied and all readings well within normal range - and keeps me med-free.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find the stored glycogen in my liver will play havoc with my bg numbers. If I am very good and stick to a very low carb diet with a small amount of protein my bgs are pretty consistent. If I overeat either protein or carbs one day my glycogen stores increase and my liver releases it at will no matter what I eat. It does drive me nuts. Also a few days before I come down with a cold my bgs start to go crazy.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well all we can do is our best ... saw Endo yesterday, he was supportive but an A1c of 6.3 for my efforts is depressing. He thinks I may be losing some beta cell function. AND my weight is up, 4 - 5 lb.

He brought up pumps. Not for now, but on the horizon.

Meanwhile, I am going to be more quantitative on my intakes to see if I can help it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think sometimes we all look for "perfect control" and don't realise we are doing so much better than the average diabetic. I think we are way too hard on ourselves, some days. My last HbA1c was great but I doubt I cam replicate it. I am sure I may be pushing toward 6 just because my bgs this summer have been all over the place. My weight is up a few pounds too which is wierd because I am doing more exercise. Maybe it is muscle weight.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course the weight gain may be DUE to the higher bg's in both cases ... not ruling that out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts